1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New to online RPG

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Darien Noella, Dec 20, 2000.

1. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I've read the info on NWN and browsed ALFA a bit, and this sounds like a blast. Problem is, I've never done any online gaming before. Is it difficult to get the hang of? I've played BG, IWD, and currently BG2, so I'm familiar with the genre. Just not the particulars.

How much knowledge of the Forgotten Realms is necessary? Never read the books.
    Never even read Dragonlance until years after high school.

Can anyone let me know of any other RPG sites? Any help is greatly appreciated!

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited December 20, 2000).]

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] NWN will be much like BG and BG2. A little different engine but if you have the hang of the other games things should come quickly. As far as knowing the FR you can download a copy of the old source book on the D&D home page. The rules have changed for 3rd Ed. but the background is still the same. Playing on ALFA will be much easier than playing on the old MUSH system because you don't have to learn tons of code. I think you will enjoy it.
    Syl maybe able to add even more info. I hope that helps a little.

3. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Thanks for the input. Is the site adnd.com? Can't seem to find anything like a "source book". Is playing online anything like playing alone? Are there any sites that i could play before ALFA is up? Also, how could I create a character when I don't know the creation rules?

I just don't want to get in over my head.

:)

4. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Character creation - 3 choices:
    Buy 3rd edition rules.
    Download free char generator from Forgotton realms website (10Mb!)
    Buy NWN when it comes out and use the char gen in there.
    I'm doing all 3.

5. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

But if I wait to buy NWN, might ALFA be full? I guess I could wait till they get another server... What's the address for that FG site? Went to forgottenrealms.net, but don't think that's it, since i didn't find anything helpful.

6. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I had heard that you can import your character from BG2 also.

7. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The chances of ALFA filling up are only based on the servers currently available which is multiplied by the number of people targeted to be allowed on each server.

ALFA has just gotten another 10 or 12 DMs approved so 12x64 is roughly 700 players, give or take a few so the amount of players allowed will continue to grow as long as there are DMs with servers.

In fact, all of Northern Faerun is almost to the point that you can walk to every server being run by a DM. Not bad at all.

Knowledge of The Forgotten Realms for ALFA acceptance is not needed due to the fact, once ALFA goes live a month after NWN is released, you will have a choice of starting locations and servers. Each server will also have a homepage, so you can hit each one, read up about the server and what you can expect and make your final choice to build your character history around.

The real thing ALFA looks for are people who like to roleplay and have some original thought about their characters "general" history.

IE - A monk might be wandering the realms in search of his true identity, not knowing where he's going or came from and rather than speak of the past, write about the present. How your characters personality is and how he reacts, thinks, etc.

ALFA turns down all power gamers or guilds who want to join just for the sake of killing people or don't want to roleplay a character. Bad spelling and grammer will also be your downfall in any ALFA application. Although it may seem strict, the guys doing the screening are pretty smart in knowing who to accept and who not to.

TIP - Don't create a history or background saying your character has any relation to any heroes of the Forgotten Realms like Drizzt, Elminster, etc or have some type of powerful artifact or item you've gained from previous family members, etc.

ALFA does not accept imported BG2 characters. All characters start at Level 1 and are stored on a secure vaulted server so no fiddly diddly will be allowed with character stats, etc. Basically so cheaters don't begin to pop up.

Another point to mention is your character is your blood and life while in the world. If he dies, that's it for him. Although getting killed, you still have 24 hours of REAL TIME to have him brought back to life, one reason why ALFA strongly urges roleplayers and social players to form parties and friends to travel with and help them incase you do die.

This will also prevent mindless killing.

If you need to know more about it, feel free to ask.

Syl...

8. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Sylvus,
    You are an absolute fount of knowledge. Please accept my humble thanks. I am not worthy to bask in thy glory...

hehehe ;)

I'm sure I'll have more questions in a day or two. Got a bit to work with now. Thanks everyone!!

9. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] The site you want is Wizards of the Coast homepage :www.wizards.com/dnd/
    then nosey around. You can get there from Sorcerers homepage via Community - related links - ALFA
    "You are standing in the font of Wisdom, its that wet stuff lapping at your ankles" -
    Strabismus the Obscure.

10. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Erran,
    Thanks. I think I was there once, but got busy, so bookmarked it for later. Now I'll be sure to get back.

11. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Hey, Sylvus, if you import your character in from BG2, will the only thing in common the imported character have with the char in BG2 be stats? i.e., will he retain any equipment or special abilities?

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No, none.
    All you keep is your stats, and if you want your char to be permitted as a Vault char, your XP will be set to zero as well.
    In the other case, you get to keep your XP, but that's all.

13. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

A Land Far Away or any other notable Persistant World placing characters in the Vault will not be allowed to be imported from BG2.

All characters will start with 0 experience, be 1st level and have equipment based on their character's starting kit.

If you wish to play your BG2 character in NWN, I am sure you can come across many single run and unsecure modules out there. The only risk is you might be playing alongside someones edited 25+ stat character.

A Land Far Away wants all characters on the vault and safe from editing hands.

Syl...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.