1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nickname origins

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by LKD, May 11, 2003.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.... Morgoth=Melkor, Annatar=Sauron and Gothmog... Gothmog was the leader of Balrogs. Slain by Glorifindel of Gondolin, iirc... Or was it Ecthellion? i can't recall exactly. Dead anyway.

And yes, I am an anal Tolkien snot... got a problem with dat? :p

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Affirmative that it was Ecthelion and Gothmog who slew each other in Gondolin.

Glorfindel I died when he fell off a cliff with another Balrog while defending more people fleeing from Gondolin.

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Okay, thanks Beren... for some reason *couugh cough* I always confuse which one killed Gothmog.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

It's been over two years since this was discussed, so I would like to revive this classic thread for all the noobs (like myself) who want to explain their nicknames.

My name is half-obvious. It's obvious that I'm a guy who likes cats (felines). What might not be so obvious is the Felinoid part. I'm supposed to be a humanoid cat, not unlike a rakshasa. Thus, Felinoid. I know I've got the wrong avatar for it, but the blame for that falls squarely on Bard. ;) :shake:

P.S. I found three threads (including this one) on this subject, but the other two are mentioned on the first page of this thread, so I figured this should be the one I resurrected.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Mine is a variation of Hermes' name. Took it from "The Furies" which was a spin-off from Neil Gaiman's "The Kindly Ones".

6. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I use this nick because it's the name I was born with. It suits me fine, and I lack creativity to come up with something better, so there.
    :borg:

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The almost religious like followers of the England cricket side, are called the 'Barmy Army'.

Hence, my name ;) .

8. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My nickname comes from a time way back when I was quite addicted to Diablo II. I took over an account after a friend of mine who had named it after his kids and his surname:
    o-l-i (Oliver) + m-i-k (Mikkel) + rib (Riber). With time, however, the 'b' was replaced by a 'g'. This wasn't intentional, but the result of an accidental misspelling of my nick, and the new name just got stuck.

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've posted in various places where my nick came from but don't remind repeating.

I was playing IWD II and wanted someone with thief abilities. I choose a female halfling fighter/thief and named her Nakia Nightshadow. As far as I know the name was made up. She was just a back up character. By the time I got to Dragon's Eye she had developed and interesting personality all on her own. I got stuck at Dragon's Eye, ran a search, found SP, decided to join and it just felt right to take her name.

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I started many sudies and never finished one. This resulted in a little bit of knowledge about quite some things, but never enough to add something usefull to a conversation or action.
    This makes me sort of a Jack of all Trades, but a 'Master of Nuhn'.
    I linked this name to my title.
    Priest-King (a 'master' in his own way) of Salem. Salem means 'peace'. (Jerusalem means City of Peace, btw, but who would have thought of that now?) Christians might now that they are 'Priest/kings in the order of Melchizedek'
    A link to my faith as well.
    Nuhn would be the fictional world where peace rules, since there is no place on earth where it does.

I know, it's probably a all farfetched...
    And it's hard living up my 'title', being polite, patient, understanding and all. :o

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It's not a nickname, it's actually my real-life first name...

I hate having to come up with nicknames, so I skip the process altogether. Kind of lame, but oh well.

12. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The nick i use here, Thor, is the name of the Norse god of thunder. I used Thor NukeADoom here before, and i have absolutely no idea why. :confused:

I hung with Tulkas a while ago, from the tolkien literature, the strongest and fastest vala IIRC?

But the nick i usually stick with now is Valtam, in fact, this is the only place i don't use it. :D
    I like that nick because nobody else has it anywhere. Bigger reason, it is the name of the Norse god Odin takes when he walkes the plains of earth in mortal form. He also used Vek, but in my dialect (sp?) that may translate to weak, so i liked the other one much better :rolleyes:

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Again another mighty bumb from Felinoid...

I used a nick "Virne" before this one, which is finnish and means "Grin", but some people thought it was slightly feminine and this got me thinking of changing it. A few days later this one chatter twisted it to "Virhe" and it felt right. Added 'W' and there you have it: Curious Mistake. ;)

14. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Wirhe:
    Okay, I know what a bomb is (I da bomb), and I know what a bum is, but what's a 'bumb'? :confused:

P.S. Who said Virne looked feminine? I think Wirhe is a lot more 'feminine' than Virne. How do you pronounce Wirhe anyway? (I want to make sure I'm cursing the right name ;) )

15. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Mine was from multiplayer online games such as Counter Strike, where I'd always have the Sniper rifle ... go figure :p

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I know there are intelligent people on this board and my explaining my nickname may not be necessary. ;) I stole it. Yep, stole Kuemper right off a school building. It stems from a cross-county rivalry (of which there were many :) ) in high school sports. My alma matre was Jefferson High School Rams/Jeffettes. No, I don't know why we didn't stick with Ewes. Could've been worse, I guess. We could be the Razorbacks/Sows :p The Carroll parochial school was Carroll-Kuemper. It was (little, yellow) different from the other name I use. I'd say it here, except for my ex might decide to use the history of to do more legal custody bits. :(

Anyway, I first used Kuemper in Angband as a half-elf ranger. I use it now since it's my other alternative, not-so-secret identity. :D

17. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Had a book in front of me from a mid-century Anglo-Indian psychologist named Wilfred R. Bion. Also refers to units of life force theorized by wacko psychiatrist and psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich.

18. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

As I have already said in similar threads my nickname is just the initials of one of my favourits bands, Blue Oyster Cult.

@Bion

I've thought that you have taken your nickname from the ancient cynic philosopher Bion of Borysthenes.

19. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The Kilted Crusader was just a random thing that I thought of when I couldn't use Morningstar in chat. I liked it, so I changed it on the BoM as well :)

20. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

My nickname came from a character in the Steven Erikson books, Stick-snare. I wanted a regular word not some unpronouncable fantasy sounding word.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.