1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Non-fatal wins in MotB

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by pplr, Aug 28, 2009.

1. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Sometimes I can think of foes that I would have to defeat to continue in a game, but find myself having some sympathies for such foes and thus don't want to kill them in order to win.

I've been thinking over the MotB major figures and have been trying to come up with ways to win but not kill off some of the opponents.

Zoab, if you fight against the 3rd crusade, is a solar so I think banishment (with the right buffs on yourself and spell resistance weakeners on him) will work.

Flesh to stone, if you fight for the 3rd crusade, may get rid of several of Kelemvor's followers while leaving them in a state they can recover (or be reversed) from (ditto with weakening spell resistance).

I tend to reserve this for characters I can have some sympathy for, so Rammaq would be toast no matter which group I side with.

Thoughts on how well this could work?

2. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I don't think permanently killing most of the characters in MoTB is even possible. A lot of them are spirits so unless you devour them, they'll just reform at some point. Even celestials like Zoab should be very difficult to actually kill. Once slain outsiders like him will just return to their own planes, iirc, like the demons in the OC.
    Rammaq should be nigh impossible to permanently kill, sadly. Checked on d20srd.org (D&D info site) and Demi-liches are said to have eight soul gems and 1 phylactery - to destroy a demi-lich, you must destroy all of these or else he'll just reappear after 1-10 days... Let's hope we managed to destroy one of those, at least, if only to spite the annoying %@$#@^d.

3. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for the research.

Though it may be worth noting the game treats it like deaths for enemies are permanent (except for a few select characters-like a former Myrkul following male red wizard). Makes you wonder if some game points could be totally undone by having an evil ____ come in after a big battle and cast raise dead (or something similar) on a big bad guy.

Though as an interesting side point to the game I wonder if you (due to spirit eater abilities/feats) have the option of making a death permanent-such as spirit eating Rammaq. Which is stronger his power as a demilich or the wall generated hunger in you/your curse?

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Technically, since you can devour One-of-Many, which assimilates everything it devours, devouring Rammaq actually doesn't sound impossible. In theory, at least.

5. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Even if it doesn't work on Rammaq it is arguable that he isn't likely to trick Kaelyn if you fight him. I would point out that she is likely to (if you fight for the Crusade) be helping you as you fight him. Thus she understands there will be some bad blood between her and him and isn't likely to try to even approach him in the future. Moreover, if she sees you point out how it would be a bad thing if Rammaq became stronger in the future she may decide that he isn't someone she wants to join up with in general. Either way, these last 2 thoughts give reasons as to why Kaelyn may not try meet with Rammaq and thus isn't likely to fall into a trap of his.

So even if he does survive he wouldn't, perhaps, be in a position to betray Kaelyn. And as an added bonus your actions put a major dent in his plans to become even more powerful.

Thanks again for the thoughts on this.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.