1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nordom vs Fall-From-Grace

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by vitamin, Aug 11, 2012.

?

Who would be your last companion?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2012.
  1. Nordom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fall-From-Grace

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Both

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Neither

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. vitamin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I can have only one more NPC with me (before going to Ravel's Maze) and need to decide - is it gonna be Fall-From-Grace or Nordom? I must say that, at first I wanted to go for Nordom because I read that he's a good fighter. And since my TNO is a poor one, I would welcome him with open arms. But as I was fighting my way up to reach him in Modron Maze, I started to wonder - who's gonna be more useful in the end? What do you think guys?

2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Depends on your overall party-setup. But Grace is not without whoop herself.
    And I generally prefer her over the Cube.
    Annah and Dak'kon are with TNO!

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are four npc with a special cut scene at the end (if you figure out where to look) -- Morte, Dak'kon, Annah, and Falls-From-Grace.

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Morte has no cut scene at the end; the four with cutscenes are Annah, Grace, Dak'kon and Nordom.

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I never found Nordom to be much use, fall-from-grace is a healer, far more useful.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    brain fart ... Nordom. Morte has a ... different role in another part fo the ending (as does either Ignus or Vhallor).

7. vitamin Gems: 2/31

But guys, please give me some better reasons than final cutscenes. BTW, whoever voted for "both" - could you please tell us why? I guess, you must value Nordom more than Ignus - am I right?

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I voted "Both". I prefer Nordom over Ignus for his story value, the fact that you can upgrade him considerably through dialogue, and the fact that he isn't mad as a hatter. Nordom and Fall-From-Grace contribute to the in-party chatter, Ignus mostly tags along, hissing to himself.

9. T2Bruno

Media:
    Take whichever companions you want. In general, if the designers made a special ending for the characters they also put other things in the game to make the characters more interesting.

You have to decide what characters are the most interesting for you.

10. vitamin Gems: 2/31

@Montresor - Yes, Ignus isn't talkative person for sure, but the way he hisses... it's pure poetry, is it not? And regarding Nordom (thanks for the tip on upgrading him), I'm not sure but he seems to be only optional character in this game. I mean, this hole Modron Maze is an extra location and can be skipped as there is no quest that would lead in there. I learnt about it thanks to you guys, and only after that, I decided to buy that Modron Cube from Vrischika.

@T2Bruno - You are probably right that I should choose NPC's that I like most but because it's my first playthrough, I would like to pick those who will be more useful and more connected to the story. And as we look at NPC's relations to TNO, I think that only Morte and Dak'kon are must-haves because you can tell it straight away after first talk with them. Annah is a mystery, and the whole rest seem to be only an eye-candy. BTW, it's really beyond me, why would Nordom have special final cutscene?

11. T2Bruno

Media:
    You'll have to wait until the end to see ... everyone has something (depending on your actions).

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ignus and Vhailor are the least developed NPCs, make of that what you will. Personally, I wouldn't take either for the first playthrough.

13. vitamin Gems: 2/31

I know I'm a bit fussy but how many people would discover Modron Maze playing this game for the first time? I mean, you just can't overlook Ignus, while Nordom is so well hidden that it's really hard to even learn about his existence.

Anyway, I decided to get Fall-from-Grace on board. Let's hope she will be helpful.

14. jsaving Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If you are lawful good at the end of the game, Grace provides hope in a way no other party member does or can. That alone makes her a worthwhile addition to the party in my view.

If you are looking for party members who best connect to the story, the odd man out would clearly be Nordom. Vhailor, Ignus, Morte, and Dak'kon all have important ties to TNO that are gradually revealed over the course of the game, while Annah and Grace can develop important ties to TNO over the course of the game.

Of the characters who either have or will develop ties to TNO, Ignus is in my view the easiest one to leave behind. The reason is that his revelations are less tied to influence/morale than the others, which means you can learn most of his backstory as soon as he joins the party, provided you have made the proper "preparations" beforehand and are willing to make the necessary sacrifices to "learn" from him. Bring him into the party briefly, learn what he has to "teach," and then leave him behind. Don't worry about lacking closure with his character, because you'll eventually receive it in one way or another.

So overall, even though Grace doesn't add much combat heft to the party, she's worth taking over Nordom and Ignus.

vitamin likes this.
  15. vitamin Gems: 2/31

Thank you jsaving for your post. I've just finished the game and would like to ask about a few things that you brought up. Regarding Grace - yes, she is useless as a fighter but her healing spells are very helpful and saved my ass a couple of times. But as it comes to ties to TNO - I'm not sure, but I guess you meant love - am I right? BTW, that hope you mentioned - is it maybe when she says: "I will find you again, no matter where..." at the end? (unfortunately, I didn't manage to become lawful good, even though I really tried)

And as of Ignus, I kept him till the end, and can't say that I was very surprised that he turned his back on me. But to be honest, I don't know why actually? TTO said something about revenge and that's it. Does it mean that I overlooked some important source of information on his past? And one more, I'd appreciate it very much, if you could elaborate a bit more on these "necessary sacrifices to "learn" from him".

And Annah for last - I must say that I'm disappointed in her. I kept her only because of her thieving skills (to open locked containers to be exact) and those chats with Morte and Grace. Also I hoped to learn something more about her past and any connections with TNO (in his present and past incarnations) but there were none provided later in the game. Or did I miss something again?

16. T2Bruno

Media:
    Ignus attacks a good (or near good) TNO -- whether you had him with you or not. You need to be a mage to learn from Ignus -- you can read more about it if you seach for a walkthough on the game.

I really like Annah -- she can become a very proficient fighter and has even killed the demon from Moridor's Box (sp?) by herself. You really don't learn much more about her but you can (semi) romance her -- if you kiss she becomes more resistant to some damage. IIRC, the trancendant one makes sure to point oout the tiefling fought with particular passion (or something like that).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  17. vitamin Gems: 2/31

I really don't know how you managed to do so? I mean, Annah (and also Dak'kon) was always the first to get killed in Carceri (excluding both Grace and Ignus). BTW, this location was a pure nightmare for me. It took me some hours to get through this map without loosing any of my NPC's. And I was so disappointed with the fact that I couldn't deal with all these creatures. Trying to fight with them always resulted in quick death of at least one of my companions. Also Ignus's spells were utterly useless. To beat this map, I had to run like hell and avoid any fights.

Anyway, back on topic - just one more thing regarding Grace. Is she the only person that can uprade Morte and knows about his real identity?

18. T2Bruno

Media:
    You upgrade all your companions. The upgrades to Dak'kon really boost him a lot.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    vitamin, you should read a few of the guides here on SP. I've got a feeling that you missed a lot on your fast playthrough.

20. vitamin Gems: 2/31

@T2Bruno - I'm not sure but I guess those upgrades to Dak'kon are available only for TNO who learnt magics - am I right? And in my case it was impossible since I played as fighter.

@Taluntain - I'm guessing that you're referring to Carceri. Yes, it was very fast playthrough I would say (not that I wanted that kind of style of gameplay - just had no other choice) but I managed to talk to key persons on this map. So I think I didn't miss that much there. BTW, I was almost sure that after restoring law and order to this location, I would become lawful good at last. But somehow I didn't.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.