1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPCs

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Boon, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Boon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I know you create four out of your six strong party, but does anyone know how many joinable n.p.c while be included in the game?
    It's a shame that a character cannot go beyond level 16, but at least it should keep the power level reasonable for a future sequel.

2. Fihnakis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Last word was that there are 8 joinable NPCs with about 12 others that are not joinable but progress the story in some unique way.

3. Nazgul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Fin,

Glad ya could stop by ;)

4. Fihnakis Gems: 1/31

No problem :) Always happy to answer questions about this game.

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm missing how it's a shame the exp caps drops off at 16. That's pretty high, and honestly, after playing BG2 for a while at high levels, it does take some fun out of it. Though it is nice to cast high level mage spells though. But since POR:2 is rummored to be lacking in the spell # dept (ugh: groans), my fighter mage won't have a lot to cast anyway. Anyway, level 16 is enough for me.

6. Fihnakis Gems: 1/31

Actually, its now 32 :D BUT that is only if you multiclass (you can multi to 8 classes) so if you were a ftr/sorc/rogue you could attain lvl 11/11/10 otherwise you cap at 16. Just to say it, getting to lvl 16 takes a great deal of time so making 32 will only be possible by playing a lot of MP.

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Wow. I am surprised they included the new multi/dual classing system completely in the game. So I could be a monk/sorcerer/cleric/bard if I saw fit. Sorry if I am not right on the money as I am still barely familiar with 3rd edition rules, but I seem to remember someone telling me that could be done in 3rd edition. Anyway, if PoR:2 does support that, I am impressed. I can only imagine something like that takes a great deal of time to impliment. And to think I had been badmouthing this game :D

8. Fihnakis Gems: 1/31

Hmm, let me correct myself a bit. You can be any combination of classes so long as there is no alignment conflict. For instance a barbarian can not be of lawful alignment but a monk can only be lawful so you couldn't have a barbarian / monk :(

9. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] There can't be a sequel. They only have the rights to make one AD&D game. (Unless Interplay allows them to make more)

10. Fihnakis Gems: 1/31

Interplay didn't give anyone the rights to anything. WOTC gave SSI / Interplay the rights to make not one but more than one D&D game so yes, there can be a sequal.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, SSI was only able to do a sequel to the original PoR now because the contract for the original one stated that they retain the rights to do a sequel to it. They haven't bought a new licence or anything, just cashing in on an old agreement.

After this, it's more or less finished for SSI. As for Interplay, they have the rights to the licence till 2005 or so, so we can expect at least 2 more titles after NWN.

12. Fihnakis Gems: 1/31

Hmm, you sure about that Taluntain? You may want to recheck with your sources cause they are able to make POR2 into a trilogy (will depend on POR2 sales) which as we all know, is 3 games in total. This was at least what I heard from various sources.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes, well, I didn't want to bring any more negative propaganda for the game in but I don't have a choice now...
    I (and just about everyone else, as far as gaming magazine editors and reviewers go) think that PoR2 will not do well enough to warrant a sequel, even if they wanted to make one. That's what I meant by saying it's more or less finished for SSI after the release of PoR:RoMD. (Although they have the rights to make more PoR games as Fihnakis pointed out).
    Judging by the amount of problems and delays they have had (and I doubt we've seen the last of them) just with shipping this one, I sincerely doubt they will be making a sequel to it anytime soon.

Of course, I could be wrong, this is just my personal opinion. It's not that the game wasn't solid or something like that, that's not it at all. It's just that the whole release-delay fiasco has been going on for way too long. With NWN scheduled for around September (unofficially), they will be forced to ship the game at least a few months sooner if they hope to gain any profit at all from it. Whether they are finished or not with it by then.

If they don't, very few people will bother to wait for it, they'll simply wait for NWN. Which, if they delay the game again, is probably exactly what will happen.

14. Fihnakis Gems: 1/31

We had the same fiasco with release dates for BG also. And I'd almost be willing to put money we've seen the last of the delays. The game is almost practically finished based of the preview version I'm playing.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] That's good to hear. Looking forward to playing it myself.

16. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Delay doesn't have to mean that that game will be a selling fiasco. Look at Diablo 2. It was released more then a year too late, and all the hardcore fans (like me) were complaining but it eventually sold over 3 million copies :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.