1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN - OC - New run

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Blades of Vanatar, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

SO my new rig is up and running. Last night, I started my playthru with the following character. I plan on Taking 4 Fighter levels, then go all Wizard from there.

Tyrisius Doombringer
    Human - Male
    TN
    Fighter 3(so far)
    Stats:
    STR - 14
    DEX - 14
    CON - 10
    INT - 18
    WIS - 8
    CHA - 8

With Buffs, my combat stats will increase and with the Fighter feats I will choose the following,

F1 - (3) - WF-Scimitar, Dodge, Mobility
    F2 - (1) - Power AT
    F3 - (1) - Cleave
    F4 - (1) - WS-Scimitar

From there all levels will be Wizard. Any suggestions on where to go from here, Feat-wise or Stat point-wise? I want a melee capable Arcane Caster. I don't see any of the Prestige classes fitting this type of character. Though I think I have read about the Eldritch Knight. Has anyone tested that particular Prestige Class? Useful?

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    The build looks rather good. I would have put more points in CON though because every little helps. Sorcerers are easier to use in this game and they do open up interesting prestige classes (mainly Red Dragon Disciple that complements a Fighter rather nicely, a friend of mine went for Pale Master for immunity to critical hits at level 10 it makes for a very resilient character). You could still use Pale Master levels later on although it will slow your access to higher level spells it will increase your number of spells (an interesting option if you wait until you get better spells and see how it goes from there).

You should definitely check the NWN Grimoire since it includes a lot of information that may help you prepare your build (but since you know a lot about the ruleset you may not find it that interesting, it's still useful though).

I'm not familiar with the Eldritch Knight class, is it a Prc class?

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I seen mention of the Eldritch Knight in a few older threads here at SP. You can serach it and get a few hits. The PnP version is basically a warrior/mage. Advancement at everly level in you arcane casting field plus continuation of the Warrior BAB. Nice combo! I see mention of this prestige class being part of the "PRC". I'm guessing that's a mod. I will have to find it.

I choose Wizard over Sorcerer because I wanted the Int, not Cha for this character. I like to alot of skill points if possible and would have to settle for a crappy Int score If I went for Sorcerer. Plus, I think I might specialize the Wizard for the extra spell slot. I will avoid Necro and Conj spells and specialize in Evocations. Fireball then charge! Oh, were underground? Lightning bolt, then charge!:D

4. Caradhras

Media:
    That's a pretty solid option anyway since Fighter will help a lot early on and Wizard will make a huge difference later on. Iirc by the end of the NWN OC you will be around level 16 (more if you play other classes, I had a Bard reach level 18 once).

5. Blades of Vanatar

The key is, do I add Stat points to Str, Dex or Con when leveling up at 4th/8th/12th/16th level? I am thinking Str to be a good damage dealer. Stoneskin and mirror image should eventually negate the need for a uber AC, negating the need to bump up my Dex. Plus the Bear's Endurance buff will give me what I need HP wise, hopefully. I do not use the max HP option. Maybe I should for this build? Nah... no fun.

On another note, would 3 levels of rogue mix-in kill the build. Would the +2d6 Sneak AT damage help or just be a hindrance? I will be able to boost my Dex with Cat's Grace spells and potions and cast Invisibility for optimal placement to start off the tough battles. I would end up as F4/R3/W9. All I really care about is getting the good-melee combat oriented spells(Stoneskin, Mirror Image, Stat buffs) and the blaster spells(Fireball, Ice Storm, etc... ).

6. Caradhras

Media:
    If you take Rogue levels it's way better to start as a Rogue because of the huge skillpoints difference.

Regarding stats it's better to put points in stats that you've maxed out because the extra points you've put in INT cost you an arm and a leg compared to the points you're adding later on (especially if you increase CON now).

7. Blades of Vanatar

Ok, I should tune down the INT then. 16? That would allow for better Con. I just found what the PRC is. A nice collection of stuff for this game. A Godzillion Races, classes, Pre-classes, skills, feats, etc.. Even added Psionics and poison use to the mix. Nice!!!!!:bigeyes:

But as for the Rogue levels, maybe I will avoid them. It changes the character too much. I think I like the Warrior/Wizard build jsut as it is.

8. Caradhras

Media:
    I would increase INT later on since it costs a lot to put points above 14, 16 seems fair enough. Iirc it means you'll have 8 more points to distribute so you could put 14 in CON, up WIS to 10 to avoid a penalty and still have two extra points to distribute (15 in DEX for dual wielding if you want to but shields can be good, just unequip the shield when casting).

Skip Rogue levels unless you want to change the nature of your build. Use your familiar for locks if you don't feel like bashing them.

Perhaps later on you can have a look at the Pale Master prestige class it complements such a build rather nicely but it requires 10 levels to show how good it is.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Isn't the Pale Master kinda of Necromantic? That will be a barred school for me. I'm thinking I might as well just skip the PC classes, as level 16 is about the cap anyway. F4/W12 is nice, as I will have access to level 6 spells. Is the level 6 spell "Tenser's Transformation" in this game?

10. Caradhras

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Check the Grimoire Luke, feel the force. :tie:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.