1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oblivion Bug List

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Spellbound, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I thought it would be a good idea for us to keep track of all the bugs we experience. We can make a running list, that will be pretty useful I think for any newcomers playing the game.

Here's my list:

1. Freeze on install.

The installation went fine, up until I checked the boxes for putting an icon on the desktop and reading the readme. I read the readme and closed the doc....went back to the installer screen and it froze....had to get into the Task Manager to stop the process.

Then when I tried to run it, I received the message "Cannot find .exe". I tried to uninstall it and couldn't do that either. After trying to start up the game 2x, the 3rd was a charm -- started right up and has been ever since. However, the .exe is not in the Oblivion or Bethesda game folder...nor is it on the DVD. My computer says it "can't find it" -- but it obviously must be somewhere or the game wouldn't be able to run. lol

2. Crash on Exit

I'm not sure if this is resulting from the previous issue or not -- but most of the time when I "exit" the game, it crashes to my desktop and I get the Microsoft message stating an error has occurred and if I went to send in a report. It doesn't crash my system or anything....just a very ungraceful exit of the application.

3. Exit/Save from Dzonot Cave

As I was exiting from Dzonot Cave (right below the Black Road leading out from the Imperial City), the new area loaded up and I was left with a black screen. I was able to access everything...Inventory, Journal etc....just was not able to see a single thing in any direction. Tried this 2x by going in and out of the cave door-- all with the same result. The game did an AutoSave (which it does frequently -- yay)...so I went back and picked up that save and it worked OK. Although when I tried to save THAT game, it hung up...making a loud repeating stuttering noise. I waited a few seconds and it saved the game and everything looks normal now. But clearly there's various issues exiting that cave.

[ April 02, 2006, 18:36: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

2. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I usually get that error message when I quit too. It seems that the longer I play the higher chance I have of getting it....

Other than that I haven't encountered a single bug.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got the same error when I installed as you got Spell. I had to manually delete the game and even then my computer thought I still had it installed but after a while I managed to reinstall it and it seems to be working fine now. Cant say for sure cause I need a new graphics card :(

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    2 bugs, you can find septims in Ayleid(sp?) cases and I just spotted a slaughterfish on dry land, which was also a bug in Morrowind.

[ April 01, 2006, 20:22: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

5. Spellbound

Updated bug list.

6. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Anybody experiencing mouse delay problems? I have about 0.2 second delay and I can't track the mouse, it's suddenly somewhere.

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I have mouse delay occasionally, it happens mostly in a merchant screen when i'm buying or selling stuff. Nothing bad really, but still annoying.

And i also have the occasional crashes after i shut the game down, thank goodness it never happens during the game.

8. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It sometimes freezes when I'm loading a game, forcing me to restart the computer. This only seems to happen from the title screen.
    I also get the crash on exit as well and it occasionally happens when I'm playing.

9. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Outside Skingrad my pc crashed to desktop at almost the same place for 3 times. It was at the surrile vineyard during the Glarith guest. Until now the only but I found.

10. Spellbound

No mouse delays here -- and the exit crashes seem to have stopped (at least for today). I think frequent saves is a good idea though -- I know I'm saving way more than I normally would.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Compatibility issues with some codecs or sound-drivers, causing crashing and preventing playing the game. Typical sign is a distorted noise ("Bleeep!") starting after a minute or two in-game and then giving a BSOD.

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I had something nice yesterday. I was in fort blueblood for the seer's stone. I did all the killing and lured the warlord with the key out of the fort to make porcupine warlord flambee. I forgot the key and returned later. I could not find the body so I used an old savegame.

This time the warlord did not spawn. loaded, loaded .... and ended the game back to desktop. I started the game again and yes there he was, and so where the already slain marauders, whose bodies still lied on the floor. Not all respawned.

Later when I got to the spriggan, two more respawned behind me. Odd is it not?

A second small thing was the notification that I obtained the second bear fang. However I was in Bravil, and just completed the dreamworld quest.

13. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

*Minor Thief Guild Quest Spoiler*

Sometime The Stranger won't give you the forged letter even though you've waited more than a day.

I've searched the official forum and it seems the best solution is to just keep on waiting and preferably travel around a bit while doing so.

I had to wait 8 days or so before he finally gave it to me.

14. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

summon-go out-come back-all die-bug

i have tried several times and quite confident that i can reproduce it.

It works as follow,
    1 - engage in a fight. i am a archer so almost everytime i do ranged sneak attack.
    2 - hit and run, and summon. Conjugation is my major skill too and my standard summon is flame atronach.
    3 - run to an exit. Both the enemy and the summon must be close to the exit too.
    4 - and exit. wait outside, wait for the summon time to run out then come back in.
    5 - everyone is dead. i doubt that it was the atronach's work.

15. Spellbound

Fighter's Guild Quest: Mystery at Harlun's Watch

This quest has you searching Swampy Cave for evidence (the body of Eduard Denile) of the missing villagers of Harlun's Watch. Following the green arrow on the map, you are supposed to discover Eduard's body in the southernmost tip of Swampy Cave. While the green arrow is there pointing to the spot, he is not. It's a known bug, with the following fix:

1. Press the ` key to bring down the console.
    2. Type "setstage fgc10swamp 40"

This will bring up the message informing you that the evidence has been found and allow you to complete the quest.

16. Merlanni

Media:
    An invisible mountain lion

17. Spellbound

Merlanni -- that's part of a quest, as I recall -- I saw him too. He's supposed to be.

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Finally solved that annoying crash of mine after giving an off-hand glance to a random forum-post: disable soundcard for the duration of the first dungeon and only then enable it. Voilá: problem solved.

Now I'm finding it slightly annoying that there is no way to solve a quest if you have already killed a key-character. Like that necromancer near the Roadside Inn (IIRC the name, near the beginning).

19. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I suddenly have TWO Umbra Swords.

As far as I know this is a unique item, in fact a quest item!

It may be an Umbra thing as my partner has two of her shields. :?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.