1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Overrated / underrated weapons

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Chris Williams, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] You know what else is a underrated weapon no one is talking about so far?

The Staff of Rynn +4!

It's one of the only weapons found in Chapter 2 that can hit Kangaxx's Demi-Lich form and do damage. Only +4 weapons can hurt the Demi-Lich form!

Granted, there are much more "glorious" weapons for a fighter to have, but Staff of Rynn is excellent for a Mage to carry, in case he/she ever is needed to join the melee fun!

@ Mystra's Chosen

Where is Blackblood found?

@ Skywind

I think the +3 Bastard Sword you might be thinking of is Harbringer, and I beleive Harbringer is a Two-Handed Sword.

I actually bought it for Minsc, but then I sold it once back in Athkatla, as I liked Lilarcor's defensive attributes (anti-charm and confusion IIRC) better for him.

[ October 18, 2003, 20:12: Message edited by: Neeraj the Freak Paladin ]

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] @ Neeraj:
    You buy Blackblood in Trademeet from the same vendor that sells the Tansheron bow; it's pretty expensive, though (in the neighbourhood of 10,000 GP, iirc).
    But, even better, use the Item Upgrade mod to combine it with Gnasher (+ another 15,000 GP) to get Pitchwife +5 - a +5 weapon, +5 acid damage, 3 slivers per round for 4 rounds, 25% acid resistance. :cool: And then you wouldn't need Rynn ;)

[ October 18, 2003, 17:04: Message edited by: Splunge ]

3. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31

IIRC, you need +5 to hit the demi-lich. ;)

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nope, +4 does it. Nobody requires +5. I often don't have any +5 weapons, and I don't recall anyone who I wasn't able to kill in melee (which is my usual style).

5. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] Thanks for all the info Splunge!

Now I remember why I couldn't purchase any nice weapon from Trademeet.

It's because I spent like 28500 gold on the Robe of the Good Magi for Aarie. She doesn't have alot of hit points, so I needed to improve her defense, and I never returned to Trademeet after I left! :doh:

Well the other info you provided offsets my loss so thats way cool! Thanks! :roll:

6. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Neeraj

How about the Staff of Magi? Weren't it a +4 weapon with LOTS of good stuff?=) IF you're havin' trouble with Kangaxx, just use Prot. Scroll from Undead/cast Spell Immunity Abjuration and Tenser Transform, and whack the silly Lich on the Staff! :D

Most definetly a Worth weapon through the game = CF and SoM :D
    :yot: , the battle for the SoM is worth mentioning/fighting, since nice xp's and an interesting battle :D

7. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31

@ Grandalf
    Staff of the Magi strikes as a +5 weapon but damage and THAC0 bonus is "only" +1...

Oh, and I really don't think that CF or SotM are underrated.

8. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31

@ Grandalf

Yeah I killed Kangy about a month ago using the advice I found here on the boards (which was very similar to the advice you just gave)! I used my Carsomyr and Aarie's MMM.

I personally found Staff of the Magi a day before I left to return to the Forest of Tethir, so I got it too late in the game to judge its worth (as far as SoA is concerned. I have Aarie wield it as her main weapon in ToB)

9. Count Di-Amon Banned

Totally Agree. Gnasher is teh winZ 4 teh clubZ

10. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Overrated= Equalizer, good for roleplaying if you wish to take the stance of a righteous wrrior of Helm, but IMHO this sword is useless, i always sell it.

11. Splunge

Media:
    @ Count Di-Amon:
    Would you mind repeating that (or editing your post) in ENGLISH so I can understand WTF you are talking about? :p

12. Count Di-Amon Banned

no, you have to be "r33t" to understand it.

13. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Slunge (where the hell did you get such a hilarious name?)...

A to your earlier post on nobody needing +5 weapons... not entirely true. First off there is the demon that the drow summon. Second off there's Absolute Immunity. If you're evil and you want to kill a really big demon, then you need a +5 sword. Or a big gun. Either way they're hard to get.

Count...

What?

14. Splunge

Media:
    @ Mystra - hopefully this answers your question on my name (P.S. it's Splunge, not that it really matters. :p )

And, despite your comment on +5 weapons, I've never come across a situation in SoA where I've needed one (unless I have, and just didn't realise it because I took alternative measures); are you sure you're not thinking of ToB?

@Count - that didn't help in the least.

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

overrated - carsomyr (slow, paladins only, blech)

underrated - someone mentioned firetooth - i agree

others include - belm +2, mace of disruption (how good is this thing?), daystar and that plain scimitar +3: water's edge - for no other reason other than it's the only +3 scimitar in the game i could find that wasn't drizzt's

16. Veras the Blade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey, I think that daystar is an underrated weapon. Sure, you can bash it for only being +2, but if you are fighting any undead, (including Bodhi!) Daystar is excellent. Sunray is truly a godsend in the Vampire stronghold, and its double damage to undead helps you ignore the slashing resistance that some of them have.

By the way, Carsomyr is garbage (Paladins only....yuck.) Celestial Fury is great, and Equalizer takes too much work for a lousy weapon. My Blade only carries it because of the work he put into getting it, and the mind shield bonuses, but never fights with it.

17. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] My paladin uses both Carsomyr and Daystar :D !

I can totally understand why people are disenchanted with paladins lately. I've never ever had Keldorn in my party before, save for like one hour (game time), and then again because I was curious as to his family quest, and he does sound very self-righteouss (spell?), and then again the things he says in ToB, as well as Anomen's conversations with Minsc and Imoen. Gives all pallys a bad name! :sosad:

18. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, I'M a big fan of Carsomyr -- If you like Paladins (and they have some nice abilities, you can't deny that) then this is the weapon for you. I love it!

19. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

@Splunge...

No, I'm not thinking of ToB. I was talking about the Demon that the Matron Mother summons to help them destroy the surface elves. If you say anything after he kills the MM and Phaere, then he will attack you. You need +5 to touch him.

Another underrated weapon is Kundane +2. It's a Short Sword that has a Speed Factor of 0, so it usually gives you an extra attack, although it doesn't always show up on the info screen.

20. Veras the Blade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sorry, i wrote something in the wrong board there, my apologies. As for another underrated weapon: FLAMETONGUE!!!! I Love that thing!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.