1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Paoli - American War of Independence - One for Chandos ;-)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Barmy Army, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    A bit ago, I posted a few bits and bobs about the Peninsular Wars. This is a similar thing I wrote just now. I did it over the last hour, whilst I was waiting for the cricket to start, so it's not very polished - just thought I'd put it up here and see what folk reckoned.

"I'm telling you man, the bloodybacks do not know we're here!" blasted 'Mad' Antony Wayne, the Brigadier General of a detachment of the remaining Continental Army left in Pennsylvania. The American forces were on retreat following the defeats by the British Army under William Howe.

"General Washington told me to harass the bastards, and I intend to do so!"

"But Sir.. this area is stinking thick with British supporters and loyalists, I fear our presence may have been noted" pleaded Wayne's Lieutenant, a certain Nathaniel Green.

"Rubbish! Now, cease this foolishness Lieutenant Green. Moral is low enough without you poisoning the mood further. Tell me, have we more blue uniforms yet?”

“No sir, there are scant few available, General Washington is keeping them for his regulars”

“Damn and blast it! My men look like ragamuffins!”

“Fight like mad dogs though sir....”

“They may have to Green, they may have to! Now, I assure you the Tories have no notion of us, but I promise you now, they soon will sir, they soon will!” said Wayne with a mischievous grin “-they will soon fear their own shadow!”

“Ah, Charles, would you do me the honour of sitting with me a moment? I've a matter to discuss” requested General William Howe of Major General Charles Grey.

“Certainly sir”

“I am grateful to you. Now, as you are of course aware, Mister Washington is currently scampering off with his tail between his legs after the damn good thrashing I handed to him at Brandywine” Howe allowed himself a smile of satisfaction before continuing “-however, it seems he has left a detachment of 2,500 men under a fellow called Antony Wayne. 'Mad' Antony Wayne, if you're into such sillyness. I wish to clear the rabble off, I do not wish them at my flank or rear when I pursue Washington”

“It would be my utmost pleasure sir. You know their exact numbers?”

“My dear Charles, you should by now know I am quite prescient” both men grinned at this jest “-I will allow you 4 regiments, and a battalion of horse. That should prove ample”

“So few sir? That is not many more than 1000 men against Waynes 2,500?”

“I am assured that nearly half of Waynes force consists of militia. A redcoat is worth 5 militia!” Howe barely able to keep the disdain for untrained men from his tone.

“Indeed sir. I shall depart as soon as I gather the men. I beg a boon though sir, might one of the regiments be the Black Watch?”

“Aha! You're an impertinent fellow Charles, indeed you are. But aye, I shall indulge your wishes, you may take the Watch”

“Much appreciated sir. I shall not fail you”

“I am certain you shall not sir! I very well think this thrice-bedamned rebellion might be over soon and the Yankees get over this foolishness and return under the wing of the crown. Ungratefulness, that's what it is sir, damned ungratefulness!”

“Indeed General” replied Charles Grey, a slight smile playing at his lips.

“Down! Have the men lie down!” demanded Charles Grey, as musket fire was directed towards his column. He could see the tell-tale sign of smoke left from the shots, but could not determine their number. He was not about to order his men into rank until he knew the opposition. As his sergeants shouted the orders to the soldiers, Grey took a knee and removed his looking glass from his pocket.

“Bah, a picquet! Sergeant McLean, take 50 men and drive them off! The remainder of the men will follow me to the smithy yonder. Quickly now! Time is of the essence!”

As Grey approached the blacksmith, he saw the owner stood in the doorway wiping his hands on a ragged cloth. It seemed the man saw little point in running – or feared the fate of his livelihood – as he simply stood his ground.

“Greetings sir. My name is Major General Charles Grey of His Majesty's Royal Army.” he waited a while as if expecting a response , when none came Grey cleared his throat and pressed on “-I trust you heard the musket fire just now? That came from a rebel picquet. You must know these parts, I beg of you to kindly accompany and guide me and my men through these woods and to their camp”, the tone of Grey's voice made it perfectly clear that this was not a request.

The smithy hesitated for moment, then looked at the column behind this British General and realised his stiuation. Wordlessly, he set off through the woods and gestured Grey to follow....

"Sergeant, have the men remove their flints", said Major General Charles Grey. Now that the battle was nearing, Grey's intensity was visible to all.

“Sir?”

“I said, have the damned men remove their damned flints! We have the element of surprise and I will not lose it due to some overzealous soldier discharging his musket! Men will attach bayonets, this battle will be close and dirty, but swift”

“Aye sir, remove their flints and attach bayonets, sir” replied the sergeant, careful to keep the displeasure from his voice. Soldiers miss-liked fighting with bayonets when they had perfectly good bullets in their pockets.

“And bring up the sergeant of the 2nd light! His men will lead the attack, Sergeant McLean, you and your dirty kilted Scottish bastards will be second. Keep the pressure on, strike quick, strike hard! I daresay the rebel regular troops may stand, but make short of them and the militia will run, believe me!”

“Yes sir... shall we go now sir? “

“No sergeant, we should wait for the grass to grow under us and maybe this war will be over! Yes, damn your eyes, attack now! Do not stop until you have driven this rabble of rebels from the field!”

“Yes sir! MEN... fast through the trees, once we break cover, we will charge with bayonets! On me!”

--

I might do a bit more later, but that's it for now... the cricket has started :D

Chandos the Red likes this.
  2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Battle of Brandywine Creek, Barmy? Just a guess....

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    No, one shortly after.

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    I'm a bit disappointed that noone has replied with their comments/critiques. Loads of people did the last one I did! It's always nice to see what people think.

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Ok, so a quick bit of research suggests that "Paoli" was not really a battle but a sort of raid into Wayne's camp. I can't say I'm familiar with it, so I don't think I can be much help, Barmy.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    It's not so much the subject matter I wanted feedback on, more the writing/story as it is. Nevermind.

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Ok. Sorry I couldn't be much help. If you decide to extend it a bit further I would be glad to make a few comments or suggestions. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.