1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pick Pocket Guide?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Elvenblade, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Deuce Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It is possible to get your pick pockets score too high. As I understand it, if you have a score over 255, it "wraps around" such that a 275 would be treated as a 20. Right around 200 seems to work fine in most places.

2. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31

@Elvenblade
    IIRC, the expanded thief guide mod adds NPCs with stuff worth stealing. I think he mentioned it in the readme...
    I recall butchering the entire population of athkatla and i never found anything more useful than some gold or gems :X

3. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I never noticed that :eek:

But the unmodded nobles and merchants should still have the stuff that I mentioned earlier because I remember that I read it in a walkthrough or some place else.

4. TheMageTeclis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The djinni outside the tent in trademeet before the embargo is lifted has a lamp that summons djinnis, very helpfull indeed.

5. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31

Does anyone know if Gaal has anything to steal and what Aran Linvail has?

I'm not going to do the unseeing eye quest and I'll side with Valen in chapter 3.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Gaal has some random gold and the Belt of Fortitude I think.

But the Belt drops anyway when you kill him...so I don't think he does have anything much worth pickpocketing.

No idea about Linvail.

7. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Linvail has some kind of summoning object, but I can't remember if it's on him or in the chest in his room. But he is carrying a couple of nice items that he gives you if you side with him. I think they're pickable but I've never actually tried.

8. DarkRomances Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I stopped stealing/pickpocketing since I never get results. The most valuable I got was a potion and now I got to slash my way thru everything... lol

9. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31

I've almost done most of the quests available in chapter 2 and 3, and I'm seriously dissapointed. Apart from the stuff that is mentioned in almost every pick pocket thread on this site, I've found very little worth mentioning.

I do hope things will improve later on in the game.

10. Derkoth the Disgruntled Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Some of the mods to BG2 offer fun stuff to pickpocket. A mod-specific pickpocket guide might be an interesting, and more manageable project than an SoA pickpocket guide.

For example, in Secret of Bone Hill, one of the shopkeepers has a Ring of Regeneration, Potions of Master Thievery, and a wand of some kind, iirc. Sure it's a bit overpowered for the level character that should be playing that mod, but it's kind of fun. Also, I seem to recall being able to pickpocket a Tome of Leadership from someone in TDD, or SOS, or some other big mod. Good things to know...

11. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Back to your original question- as far as I know there are no dedicated pickpocketing guides, however Dan Simpsons walkthrough mentions some of the better things to pickpocket.

Also there are some tables in the game that determine what is pickpocketed. Use Infinity Explorer, search for the CRE file of a noble (eg. NOBLW2.CRE), go to the items tab and click on RNDTRE## (where the # is any number). You will be taken to a 2DA file that tabulates the items that the creature will have on it determined by the pickpocket roll, lvl of npc etc. Click on any of the items to see a description.

I tried this with Near Infinity, but you don't get the links, so it would be a lot harder.

12. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I've heard of being able to pick pocket Kangaax for an additional Ring Of Gaax, but that is way too cheesey for me. You can supposedly get three Rings of the Ram from Tolgerias, but again, that's really cheesey.

I like the ring of regeneration from Ribald, and the lamp from the Trademeet Djinn guarding the tent is really good. Aside from these items, I don't know of anything.

13. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Cesard... that's the same guy. If you had let him alone he would have attacked you later in the Sphere and you would have got it then.

14. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Renal Bloodscalp has some things to steal but i cant remember what.

The game is a bit poor on pickpocketing unfortunatly.

15. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

You can't steal anything from him. If you try you will fail and then few shadow thieves with instant kill will appear and kill you. I tried few times (had 200 in pick pocket)

16. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

it works for me

17. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31

Me too. He has some potions, healing and invisibility potions if I remember correctly. That's also what most rogue merchants have.

18. Gilden Gems: 5/31

If you are a roleplayer more than a powergamer, and do not want to kill Vithal (the mage imprisoned in the underdark map), you can pickpocket him. There are a number of nice high-level scrolls that you can get, and a helmet looking like Vailor's helm, which (when worn) can cast a death spell every day.

19. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

This was mentioned in an older pickpocketing thread, and I believe it is true.

I think you get the same items whether you kill someone and loot his corpse or pickpocket him. Pickpocket simply spares his life, and so can be used on more "important" NPC's. The only exception is armour; you can't pickpocket a guard for his armour. It will say "has nothing to steal".

I've tried stealing from Aran before, but I just got his usual stuff as if you killed him, EXCEPT the elven chain mail. I think he had some gold, arrows +2, a short bow +2 ?. And if you rob him early enough, he'll also have four wooden stakes that he would have given you later. (When the time comes to give you the stakes you stole, the dialogue is the same but you don't get any more stakes.)

I don't remember robbing Gaal before, but I think the same thing would happen; you take all his stuff except his armour. I vaguely recall stealing his key, but reloaded because it feels like I've screwed up the plot a bit.

20. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31

In the shark-men city, don't forget to pickpocket the rebel prince for a part of Wave.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.