1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Planescape: Torment: newbie thoughts

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Klorox, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Would people be interested in following a little journal of my first time through this game, without any spoilers? I'm getting the idea from Harbourboy, who has carved the way with his thread in the Baldur's Gate II forum.

I haven't started quite yet (I want to finish Throne of Bhaal first), but this should start soon.

So, what say you? Would anybody want to read my adventure through Planescape: Torment?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Sure but you haven't played the game yet right?

4. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Yes please. This stuff is always fun.

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

But of course. Allthough I have not followed Harbourboys adventures with BG2 (mainly because I didn't catch it from the start) I would like to hear someone new to the game complete one of the finest pieces of art in gaming history. :p

I must say though that I hope these journals won't become too big of a trend since it won't be fun anymore if there are ten persons writing a journal about their first time through the same game. ;)

6. Klorox

Ok, I'll do it! I just might have to bump this thread up in a few weeks (like I said, I'm currently playing ToB, and I've never finished it before).

Apeman, I've never played PS:T before. As a matter of fact, I'm waiting on a new computer to arrive, and I've never even installed the game on my computer.

Morgoroth, why is that? I think HB's journal is great, and I think more of them would be very enjoyable. If you're not into them, you don't need to read that thread in particular.

A few questions, before we begin:

A)Is there an official patch I need?
    B)Is there an instruction booklet available for download? My game didn't come with one.

If the answer to either of these is "yes," please provide a link for me. Thanks a lot.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Both on SP, of course. Misc and Tips subsections, respectively. Along with a ton of other Torment info.

8. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

But remember to be careful with what you look at in SP's PST section; you don't want to compromise your newbie status before you even begin the game! (You definitely should get the patch though.)

Otherwise, the only thing I would suggest is that you clear your mind of all of the strategies and expectations you have from BG2 or other IE games before you play PST.

9. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Klorox, NO !

I've just made this mistake, two weeks ago I've downloaded all that fine stuff from SP, all the tips and strategy guides, I read them as I played, and the game was completly spoiled, I couldn't even finish it, it became so boring :-(

Don't repeat this mistake if you can help it.

(With Baldur's gate II it was much, much better: I've discovered that strategy guides and forums exist only after three years of playing the game, so I discovered everything there is... myself ! ;) )

10. wrgrey Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The instruction booklet is fairly weak. It's certainly not like the Baldur's Gate II manual and lacks any real spell list (showing only descriptions for three spells). It does have a few tables at the back, though. For the most part, you should do alright with what you know from other games, except that many command buttons are on a rotary menu brought-up by right-click rather than in a fixed bar. Equipment and spells are pretty different, too. Then there's the protagonist's unusual nature, but you'll see that as you go.

No worries about grabbing the manual, but I expect Kulyok's so impassioned because spoilers really do detract from Torment. The story's where it really shines, and I found the combat and similar "gameplay" elements a bit less interesting than in the Baldur's Gate games. I suppose the strength of the story might make a journal an interesting read. Even if it goes low-spoiler, the journal may evoke memories in its readers.

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well Klorox I have nothing against players writing journals about their games but if there are two many you loose the taste for them once and for all, especially if half of them gets abandoned in the half way trough the game.

And yes I would agree that you need no information what so ever about Planescape or the game before you start. The point in the beginning is that you are totally clueless and everything will be made clear in time. Besides if you have any problems you can allways ask from here.

Torment is a very spoilersensitive game and even minor spoilers can cause big damage to your gaming expirience since the plot is such a central part of the game. There are a few plot twists in the game though which are very difficult to find out and you'll probably miss a few of them in your first time through. And yes it is highly recommended that you patch the game, it has a modest amount of bugs.

12. Klorox

Can anybody stick a link to the patch here, so I won't even be able to see a spoiler by accident?

13. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

The manual is on the install CD.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  14. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Since he didn't mention it himself, I'll just throw in that I consider Platter's Fixpack to be something worth installing when you play through PST even for the first time.

15. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I would concur with Sim on that one. :)

16. Klorox

Please drop a link to the fixpack as well then. As I said, I don't want to visit the page on this site and even risk a spoiler.

Thanks.

17. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
  18. Taluntain

Media:
    Klorox, nothing in the description texts on SP contains any major spoilers as far as I remember. And there's a lot of stuff on SP that it makes a lot of sense to read BEFORE you delve into Torment (or after a couple of hours of playing) if you only intend to play it once. You can just read the description texts on SP and decide to click further or not. Especially because there's some stuff there that if you miss it, you can't do it later, and you'll wind up kicking yourself over it for the rest of the game. But then, it's up to you...

19. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I'll agree with Tal that there are a few things that you could benefit from knowing before you play, that wont spoil anything.

I think character generation in PS:T is really much more improtant here than in a game like BG2. Some of the stats that might seem important might not be in this game. Those sorts of questions can be answered, and really dont offer any spoilers at all.

20. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

To play devil's advocate, I'll disagree with both Tal and Takara here.

PS:T was designed to be explored without any preconceptions; this is clearly reflected in the PC's condition at the start of the game. If Klorox goes into the game with preconceptions of how he can maximize his gaming experience, sure, he would unlock more parts of the game and create a more powerful PC, but at the cost of discovering all the unique aspects of PS:T on his own. Even a very flawed PC can finish this game.

I don't doubt that Klorox will want to play through the game a second time to see what he missed; he can check out the hints and guides then. But I still strongly suggest that he go though it blind his first time; this will ultimately lead to a better game for him (and a better reading experience for us, as we see what decisions he makes without the all the coaching apparently all of us had).

The only hints I would give Klorox are these: 1) this is not like any other IE game, and you aren't in the Forgotten Realms anymore, Dorothy; 2) there are lots of unusual objects, characters, and events in PS:T, so examine everything, including your NPCs, very carefully; 3) PS:T is not at all about powergaming; and 4) roleplay, roleplay, roleplay: dialogue is important in this game.

Disclosure: I read a few low spoiler guides before I first played PS:T, and really think it lessened my experience of the game, as I came into the game with other peoples ideas of how to create and level the PC, etc. I wish I had done all that on my own my first time (tho I can't really complain, as reading through guides convinced me to buy the game in the first place).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.