1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playing BGII for the second time

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ah, didn't know that. My guys have always been quite charasmatic, so I go for the curse excuse every time. ;)

Oh, come on, Fel! :rolleyes: Phaere as scripted to that point is definitely not the kind of chick to take no for an answer! It's always struck me as a cheesy copout that there was ANY way to avoid her raping the PC. If the PC wasn't able to perform for any (legitimate) reason, she'd probably castrate him on the spot! :eek: IMO, the chick NPCs should be a LOT more understanding about having to "take one for the team". Incidentally, I don't remember...does Viconia break up with you if you sleep with Phaere? She of all people should understand.

I'd LIKE to think that HB's wife (or anyone's wife) would gladly suffer some hurt feelings instead of, oh, I don't know... Dying? :D

Aerie's love is worth doing none of those things. :p

[ March 28, 2006, 08:17: Message edited by: Gregor ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Bull. It's exactly that kind of b**** with power that needs a firm hand. I'm always very disappointed that there isn't an option to tell her that you'll decide when or even if you bang her, and stand against her threats and intimidation. I guarantee you she'd be quite appreciative of a strong male. Sure, she'd threaten to castrate and/or kill you, but she wouldn't actually go through with it (providing she found you attractive enough, of course). Why do you think she (and Viconia) call you lazy and deride you after sex? Because you didn't show the spine to stand up to her advances! Yet another example of how BG2 expects you to be nothing more than a pawn; the best you can manage is a pathetic "I don't wanna" that would make even Aerie the Queen Whiner proud. :rolleyes:
    Yeah, she doesn't mind. She just insults you (not exactly original for her ;) ) and makes a remark about removing Phaere's head.
    You'd be surprised. And as I said, even if done for the best of reasons, there's still emotional fallout.
    Well, yeah, but neither of us loves Aerie, do we? :heh: Notice the condition "If you'd really loved Aerie" at the beginning of the quote.

EDIT:
    But the point that I was alluding to is: Would you really do that to the woman you loved above all else? Would you really sleep with some floozy to "preserve cover" when you could take your chances against these evil monsters and likely win? (It's not like the drow are at all hard. :rolleyes: ) Would you really f***ing do that if the woman in question was the one you promised to love, honor, and cherish; the one sitting in the next room!?! :skeptic:
    Doing that and still claiming to love the woman you so readily betrayed is just :bs: . Though to be honest, I'm surprised Aerie even has the brains to see that. :shake:

[ March 28, 2006, 08:50: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No, most of the storyline (e.g. Adalon and the deep gnomes) tells you that it would be suicide to take on the whole Drow city, especially if you might expect the Matrons to unleash their spidey powers on you all at once.

4. Felinoid

Yeah, and it's also 'suicide' to take on Irenicus, Bodhi, and her entire vampire gang. Guess how that one works out. ;) The svirfneblin are complete wimps (their suicide is a Bhaalspawn's walk in the park), and Adalon is only looking out for her own interests; she wants you to rescue her eggs rather than have you fight your way to the surface yourselves. Can we say "pawn" again? :nolike:

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, anyway, my character has self preservation as one of his reasonably high priorities and a definite mission to achieve so he made a decision and he sticks by it.

6. Felinoid

Skippy for you; not so good for Aerie. But since you don't care about her I doubt it makes much difference to you. ;)

Have you had Viconia in the party yet? You might as well try out her romance if you've screwed over Aerie now. :hmm:

7. Harbourboy

Hmm, interesting idea. I guess that now that the Aerie romance has been lost, I could re-evaluate her whole place in the team, although she is the second most experienced team member and Viconia would have a lot of catching up to do (assuming she is still hiding out in the graveyard). But we still have to get out of the Underdark.....

8. Harbourboy

Well, I am still in the Underdark, having sneaked off to do the Beholders and the Mindflayers even though the way is now clear back to the surface. I know there is no good roleplaying reason to take on the Beholders and the Mindflayers at this point, but I'm doing it anyway (maybe Liam is looking for more clues about Irenicus or something)

Anyway, the big question will be, who will be in the party when we get back to the surface? Now that the Aerie romance has been ruined, the way is now clear for a number of NPCs to be considered, including Korgan, Viconia, Anomen, Keldorn, and Cernd. Korgan is the most obvious possibility, as a straight replacement for Valygar, but I need to have a think about what might be some good options.

9. Gregor Gems: 7/31

Interesting. I'm facing a similar dilemma now. Normally, I do every possible Chapter 2 quest before going to Spellhold, but this game, I wanted to pick up Solaufein, so I rushed to get there. Now I'm playing through all the early game quests, and in the back of my mind I can hear all those elves in Suldanesselar crying out in terror... :( I'm reduced to the cheesy cop-out rationale of "I need powerful weapons and more training before I can take on Irenicus".

God, I'm such an XP whore.

Oh, and I'd take Keldorn, but then, I've never played with Korgan.

10. Harbourboy

Only reason why Korgan is higher on the preference list than Keldorn is that the very fact that I have never played with Korgan before.

11. Harbourboy

Korgan rocks. We are now in the sewers and he is killing some enemies with a single blow of his Rifthome Axe. Plus he has a million hit points. I am considering giving him the boots of speed instead of Liam so he can race around hacking everyone up.

12. Gregor Gems: 7/31

Before I found this board, I would never have even considered taking Korgan any longer than necessary to do his book quest. You guys are making it hard to keep overlooking him. :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.