1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Favorite NPC

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Rastor, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Irenicus_Jon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hmmm. Let me include both NPCs you can get into your party and NPCs that you can't. Btw, this thing is probably going to be full of spoilers, so don't read it if you haven't finished the game with most of the NPCs in your party.

Party NPCs

Da'kon is probably number one. Not because of the way he's good on paper as a character, but because of the circle of zerthimon. It is just devastating (SPOILERS AHEAD, BEWARE) when you find out how a previous incarnation (specifically, the practical one) actually made the circle of zerthimon to keep Da'kon focused and his blade strong. God how much I love/hate the practical incarnation.

Nordom and Morte would be tied for second place. Both are too funny to pass up. I find Nordom a bit more funny than Morte (the intelligent but not wise robot theme cracks me up) but Morte's story is better. They can both become good fighters but PST is not about that anyway. Oh, btw, Nordom's ability to point out portals, the fact that he is a pseudo hidden NPC and that he can be upgraded in different ways all give him a slight boost (maybe above Morte even).

Vhailor would be my third choice. His background literally DWARFS Annah, FFG or Ignus IMO. He is a late gamer (and that's so sad) but his critical animation/sound and the fact that you can kill him through dialogue... so many great things about him. Last but not least, he becomes probably the most powerful NPC when you resurrect him if you choose to fight TTO.

I never liked Annah and FFG. Yes, they are important characters with heavy dialogue, but Annah acts too much like a teenager for my tastes and FFG is just too... motherly (I mean, I am an immortal who searches the planes to find out about his past, stop patronising me for a minute). I have played with both of these characters twice, the first two times having them separate, the last time having them both. None of the experiences were satisfying in any way.

Non-party NPCs:

Practical Incarnation. OK, whether he is an NPC is arguable, but among all the characters you can interact to, I like him the most. He's probably the only reason you actually get to find out about yourself (I am pretty sure more than half the clues you find are planted by him) and without him, you would be forever trapped end game (before meeting TTO). Yes, he has done some bad things, but if yo uare calling him evil, what do you call someone like the Paranoid Incarnation (that guy has probably done more evil than any other incarnation, excluding the first one).

Trias. In order to grasp Trias, you must know why he was cast down from Mount Celestia. He was cast down because he believed Mount Celestia had lost the true way. Instead of fighting the denizens of the abyss, they were actually feeding them with weapons so the demons could continue the Blood War, making sure neither side got strong enough to win. You might think the fact that they were keeping the Blood War going is a nice thing, but think of all the people who suffer because of the Blood War (especially when the war spills onto places where it shouldn't be).

2. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yeah, but I'd say it's the paranoid incarnation you can't really call evil. I mean, insane maybe, but he's just trying to protect himself and be left alone. He did a lot of evil things, but still... By the way, what did he do? I remember him killing the linguist's father and "spicing up" your tomb, but what else?
    Now, the practical guy... Now that's a proper evil bastard, the kind they should include in textbooks for times to come. Sheesh, creating the circle and all that just so he can bind Dak'kon because he wanted his sword, toying with Deionara, imprisoning Vhailor for eternity - just because he may "prove useful", Xacariah... These come off the top of my head, and those were the people he was relatively close to. You can't tell me that's not evil, Jon.

Back on-topic... Every party character was enjoyable and one-of-a-kind, but I'd say Dak'kon. Sure, Nordom, Morte and Ignus were funny, yet somewhat tragic in their ways, when you learned their story. Vhailor had the kinda "fate" quality, feeling just as if he came right from a legend (well, he kida was - there were some mercykillers discussing something and one said "not even Vhailor would do that"). Hey, there's something to be said about travelling with an armored spirit who endured unknown ages in a prison even gods couldn't escape - and carries a humongous axe around. Annah and FFG were also something - enjoyable dialogue and lines (yep, FFG and ring :D ), some nice plot tied to them, as well as good looks (well, for pixels ;) ). Still, Dak'kon was simply... well, words can't fit it well for me, maybe enthralling. Story, personality, lines and voice - all simply unforgetable.

[ July 11, 2005, 10:08: Message edited by: The Shaman ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.