1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Final Fantasy Poll

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Series' started by Foradasthar, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yes, yes; I know, but I had to state it again to make the matter crystal clear (as there are always some lazy bonzos that skip most of the talk). It was a matter of no importance anyway.

[ January 03, 2003, 18:40: Message edited by: Virne ]

2. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

That fourth question is interesting (the one about uniqueness corrupting). FF4 and FF5 did seem to be very similar in plot; defending crystals unsuccessfully. But some repeating traditions do make things interesting. I especially liked seeing a Cid in every game.

3. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

FF 8 and 9 were the best! FF7 was pretty good.

4. Ark Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

FF7 and FFX were the only ones I enjoyed.. a lot.FF9 was hard but not because it is challenging but because of some ridiculous reason.It takes a while to use an item and while waiting you get your ass kicked by the beasts.Sometimes you don't even get to use it, you die before you get to.

5. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] I have played all the FFs(except tactics) and it is impossible to like one more than the others.
    They are all great games in my not so humble opinion :)

6. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm a FF freak all the way. I've played all of them except for the first two. I have to say they were all terrific games and any critisisms I make are based on each other.

The best in my opinion was FF8. Even though the character models were horribly rendered (even for PS standards) the game played well and the story was enthralling (I didn't mind the huge coincidence because it was such a huge plot twist). The junctioning system was good, but in the hands of a seasoned player you can break it into oblivion- when I powergamed my way through the game I got Squall to 6000 hp and damaging around 8000 by the end of disc 1. The card game was a nice distraction, it was also vital because you got most of your items faster through refining cards into items.
    But the thing that made FF8 stand out from other FFs was its touch of reality. There was no real "bad guy", just people in different situations trying to make the best of it. It had people worried about passing exams and people facing the harsh realities of life. That's what I loved about the game; the way it rung true to reality.

The worst FF, in my opinion, was FFX. Though a great game in its own right, it paled compared to its cousins. It was way too linear; I like a story and I like some guidance but not that much, not when it hinders my ability to explore my surroundings and enjoy the scenery. One other I hated about it was the sphere grid. It was WAY too tedious, especially for people like me who like to buff their characters to the max at the end of the game. Another thing which stank was its lack of sidequests; sure it had sidequests for the ultimate weapons but nothing that was purely for the benefit of your enjoyment or some interesting tidbit about the story that made everything come toghether and made you understand something about your character.
    In it own defence, FFX did boast the best soundtrack of all the FFs. The graphics were truly amazing and the new twist on the summons was truly original.

Anyway, my butt is getting tired after all the sitting I've been doing. I guess I'll go back to playing FF8 (for the 9th time no less).

7. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] It appears that so far most people were introdued the th FF ganes through FFVII on the PS1, including me ;) . It is still my favourite, and the ones that came after have just seemed very weak to me. I despised VIII with a passion. Really despised it. For a succesful RPG you have to like the character you play, and that fool was just some huffy jumped up twat. I never even got past the train hijack in it I hated him so much. What a waste of a potentialally good game. What a tragedy.
    Haven't played X yet, but to be honest, after VIII and IX I'm not bothered about it. Besides, I no longer have a PS2 :p .
    I did love the idea of the coolection of the earlier games on the PS1 too, but never got a chance to play them all and complete them before I moved from Scotland, and my flatmates PS2 ;) . Soon though, soon ;)

/me has evil plans to correct this BWAHAHAHAHAHA :evil:

8. InquisitorX Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

FF7 is truly terrible. That is where the series took a turn for the worse. FF6 was the last good FF game, while FF4 is the overall best. Unless you count FF tactics - which was, incidentally, made by the guys who did Ogre Battle (a superior RPG series in my opinion).

After FF6 the series lost a lot of good things in my opinion. "Technology" was always used sparingly (airships and such), but it was done in a tasteful manner. With the arrival of FF7 they just went overboard and the whole technology thing and it lost its mystique (I especially hate that some characters can use guns now).

Quality characters? That ended with FF7 as well. Sometimes simplicity is can be better than complexity. Cecil is 10 times the hero that "Cloud" (worst name ever btw, on top of that he looked absolutely ridiculous) will be. Then you also get a barrage of lame characters such as Barret and that stupid stuffed animal. You may hate Edward the bard, but at least he had a background.

All in all the series headed in the wrong direction. Instead of doing something unique and heading into uncharted waters they decided to cater to the masses. An unfortunate decision for us hardcore RPG fans.

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Yes, the choice to go for the masses is a very common one these days. And it's unfortunate that ppl such as I for example, who're more apt to like the special things that don't sell well on the market, are then left without good products. IMO though, FFVII was the last game true to the original FF-saga. And even though FFVI was good, I consider FFVII the best of the all the FF:s. Though FFVI still has a more important part of my memories, being the first game I ever played.

10. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Nice way to say it Jesper! I didnt play all parts of the series since i have only PC and i didnt have the will to play the very first part(s). Still i didnt notice anything related to my question so if someone does know anything about transfering IX-th and X-th part to PC please say it, even if he knows that they wont be transfered.

Btw. is Bleem still best PS emulator and does it have version to emulate PS2 or there is something better?

[ January 14, 2003, 08:05: Message edited by: ToTaL ]

11. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Yes, there is a PS2 emulator much better than Bleem, I won't link to it here, I don't think we're allowed. Just do a search.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not really on topic but I must add that I just finished ChronoTrigger and it is one helluva game! Magus must be one of the coolest characters ever.

13. X-Kalibur Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've played FF since the original on the NES (not that i really knew what it was when i played it, albeit somehow i did manage to beat it... you can do crazy stuff as a 6 year old, anyhow) to date I've played them all (learned how to read/speak Japanese just for games in general and for FFII and III) and excluding FFT....FFIV is the best. it had a basic, easy to follow storyline that was done really well, FFVI was good, but it had too many characters trying to be the main character and it took away from it in a few ways. I'll not even speak of any after FFVII....and i'll speak of FFVII only because it did introduce more people into RPGs thus making them more mainstream and therefore there are now more of them. Give me Cecil and Kain any day over Cloud or Squall. Give me Rydia and Rosa way over Aeris or Tifa or Rinoa. Alright, enough ranting for me, thats my 2 gold pieces anyhow

14. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I, unfortunately, have not played the nes-games :( though I have played FFVII-FFX and, imho, FFX had the best graphics (it is newer & on a more developed platform after all) and the mini-game was sweet...I would just spend hours & hours playing blitzball...

15. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I am an absolute diehard FF freak. I finished FF9 like 6 times, FF10 3 times, FF8 not(by that time ff9 whas released so I quit ff8). Personally, I prefer FF9 and FF10 (can't choose)
    I have played a total of 650 hours on the FF series (I am not joking). And oh yea, the sphere system in FF10 is very original and allows you to form your own presonal character and make him whatever you want. :D ;) :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.