1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How do *you* pronounce Jan's name?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Kitrax, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, in the game manual it says his name is pronounced "Yawn" but that just sounds dumb, so I've always pronounced his name just as it looks: "Jan"...you know, it rymes with can.

How about you? :rolling:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 38 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: How do "you" pronounce Jan's name? (38 votes.)

How do *you* pronounce Jan's name? (Choose 1)
    * Jan...rymes with "can" - 37% (14)
    * Yawn...as in, "Yawn, this is boring." - 47% (18)
    * Other...please explain - 16% (6)
    * Just the results for me. - 0% (0)

2. The Black Raven Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I chose yawn becaues 1. I'm polish, and J in poland is pronounced like a Y 2. Jan(or Yawn) says his name in the game, it's in the soundset

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Something like 'Yan'. Like the beginning of his surname. Not that I pronounce it often. I never join him.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I pronounce it "yon" like hither and yon.

5. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I can't recall too clearly (I've drunk some Swedish Mandrin Absolut (orangy)) but I also believe that there is a wav file (i.e. a bit of audio dialogue) where he says Yan Yansen at your service.

After the twentieth time you hear it, it tends to resonate in your skull.

I wonder if they make Swedish Turnip Absolut. My uncle Tobermory used to say that swedes were the same as turnips but I never li....... (fades into distance)

psst. Take a look at the curves on this Swiss pinup

[ September 19, 2003, 06:47: Message edited by: Bluin ]

6. Haplo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Jan Jansen is actually a dutch name. In our country many, many people are named that way. :D I can tell you it is not pronounced as Yawn. The a in Jan is a short a. And the J is pronounced like the Y in Yes for example. But there is no W in how you pronounce the name.

7. Maincarast'è Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Spaniards, ourselves, pronounce it without the "w" and with a soft "y" at the beginning; and so it is in the translated game. English-speaking people tend to make things difficult inserting letters where there aren't, specially with names :D .

(Don't get mad, it's just a joke..) :)

8. -EnigmA- Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm from Denmark, and here Jan is a relatively common name so I have always pronounced it Yan because in Danish J is pronounced like english Y.

9. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

In Norway, there are also a lot of people names Jan. We pronounce "Yan" or something like that. Funny name...

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I always was under the impression that the name also existed in Sweden (maybe Joaqin can fill me in). My Dad used to work with a lot of Swedes when he was a logger, and there was a song people used to sing to make fun of them. The first two lines were:

My name is Yawn Yawnson
    I come from Wisconsin . . .

That's not too insulting unless there's something disgusting about that particular American Sate I'm unaware of, and dad never sang me the rest of the song because he said it got pretty dirty. In any case, based off this incredibly useless tidbit of data, I call the world's best gnome Yawn Yawnson.

11. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I pronounce it as 'Yan', so I voted for the one that rhymes with can, even though I don't pronounce the 'J'.

12. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Depaara, there are a lot of us named Jan, I know of 3! :)
    I prenounce it Yan Yansenn, because, as someone pointed out, Y is how we prenounce our J's.

13. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

True. Jan Jansen is definetely the most common name in Holland (or at least it used to be).
    I think they put in the 'w' in 'Yawn' for the English people. Because if they wouldn't, they would think you pronounce it as Yan (rhyming with 'can'). It was probably put there so that english speaking people would pronounce the 'a' correctly.

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yan Yansen :cool:

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Yawn, like he says it in the game.

16. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yep, Yawn.
    He says Yawn, I say Yawn.
    So, Yawn.

17. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hm, puzzling, pronuncation without phonetics.

Yawn (~j>:n)is phonetical identical with Jan in Dutch/Swedish/German. Or I say yawn like Jan, but then I am not shure, if yawn like Jan really is correct English pronuncation.

18. The Grim Rippor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Personally, I pronounce it Yahn, But Yawn is close enough.

19. Shrike Banned

Good God, is it really so important as to incite so many people to argue over whether there is a "w" in the pronunciation of "Jan"? He says his name when you select him on your team, for heaven's sake. Save your philosophical tripe for the Alley of Dangerous Angles.

20. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] we weren't arguing, it was just a simple conversation as to how you pronounce something.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.