1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: How powergamey/roleplaying are your CRPG parties?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Mudde, Dec 4, 2007.

?

How roleplaying/powergaming are your parties?

1. 1: Pure roleplaying - "I make no compromises - If I want my character to have that feat/skill that I

8 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. 2: Mostly roleplaying but a few thoughts on overall efficiancy - "Hmm,maybe I shouldn't use 6 pure r

27 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. 3: Balanced - "Powergaming is only for bad players that can't finish the game without it."

19 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. 4: Slightly powergamed - "They are supposed to be heroes so they must be quite effective!!! But Juk

45 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. 5: Quite optimized but some theme/roleplaying thoughts. - "With these min-maxed stats and advanced m

36 vote(s)
    24.0%
  6. 6: Pure Powergaming - "RP:ing is for loosers! My party can beat the crap out of those PR:ing wimps!

15 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    #4 as well. I generally adjust stats and skills to match how efficient I think a character should be, but if I'm going to have a half-orc barbarian as my party leader I cannot imagine him with a CHA and INT of 1. That said my "adjustments" apply mostly to BG and IWD. With PST, Arcanum, NWN and so on I usually have more balanced characters.

2. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

#4. I am reluctant to minimize stats - a truly unintelligent fighter, for instance, makes no more sense to me than a mage so weak he can't wear a robe.
    But I don't think in those terms much, just play around with the game, which I have not yet finished but have restarted who knows how many times - in some ways the early stages are especially fascinating as you level up and choose what to increase among skills, feats, and stats, and then a bit less so in later stages as the party is more powerful.

3. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Well, it is true however that on CRPG they did the huge mistake of not including the random rolls of attributes. In BG 1&2 or IWD1, I never reduce the attributes below 10. This does leads to difficulties in creating certain characters (Bards especially), but is way more interesting than characters that look virtually identical in every game.

4. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I hate those random attribute rolls! That usually makes it possible to create super-characters that are good at everything if you just have patience. Those supercharacters usually makes the rest of the party seem weak or unneccesary and screws the game balance.
    A given number of ability points like in IWD2 that can be distibuted means that you have to sacrifice power in some areas to be strong in other and that you have to balance that.
    I never liked fantasy-heroes that are the best in too many things and have no weakness (like many main characters in fantasy books, action movies and so on.) The ones with some strenghts and a weakness or maybe a few, are more interesting.

The meaning with having a party is to have some characters that take care of the things that other are weak at, so that you have to use each character in the way that benefits the party the most to get through.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I picked number 2, although I enjoy using some weird MC I always find some kind of weird RP justification to get away with that. ;)

6. BucMan55 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I chose number 2. I cant recall a player ever being below an 8 in any rating, and then its usually a dwarf , barbarian, half-orc, or rogue with CHA. I generally use single class players, though a fighter/druid hybrid instead of a Ranger seems interesting.

7. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Number 2 for me, as well.
    Well actually, when I first play a game, I'm more number 3 or 4 - just to enjoy some powerful char.
    after that I try to role-play more...
    go figure!

8. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

#4 for me. When deciding stats and skills I don't go for useless stuff although I will pick a skill if it might be useful and then end up never using it :D With stats I use a minimum limit of -4 to base stats, so a Human in IWD II won't have any stat less than 6 (Minsc's Int stat). As far as role-playing is concerned I do most of it in my head. I always have a romance progressing in my games, even in IWDs.
    One way that I go power is that more often than not I tend to level squat. I don't level anyone in the party unless I get to the required multiclass levels or I get to a fight where I just cant get ahead. Then I'll level 1 or 2 charecters and win the fight. Fights that were giving you a head ache become remarkably one sided when that barbarian of yours takes 10 levels just before taking out a monster.

Mati likes this.
  9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I chose #7:

"I play the game the way I want and ignore the pissy attitude of some people who read in a book somewhere that powergaming is bad or roleplaying is for wimps."

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just re-read my post above. Speaking of pissy... :heh:

Anyway, I couldn't help but get the feeling that the poll was dissing powergaming (which, let's face it, the IWD series encourages). In particular, the description for "Balanced" doesn't seem very balanced at all. And the implication under #5 that powergaming is cheesy - well, that's just wrong. :p

I'd probably put myself somewhere between #4 and #5, although I have no idea who Jukka is.

11. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

@Splunge

This was not meant to diss powergaming. I said in my post earlier that I myself picked #5 so I'm quite a powergamer.
    In #5 I try to imply that in HOF-mode you need either a powergamed party (at least #4 or #5) OR cheesy tactics to get through.
    For #3 I couldn't come up with a good description by the time I wrote that but most people probably have some idea of how a "balanced" party is (somewhere in between #2 and #4).

And Jukka has written the "JUPP". It's the best and most powergamed party guide for IWD2 IMO and can be found here at SP. It analyzes everything carefully to optimise your characters for their task!
    You sould really read it if you like powergaming in IWD2! Your ideas of how a really powergamed party looks like might change a bit...

12. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I usually try and get powerful characters in IWD, but really don't have enough of a mind for the mech side of things so I end up with a bunch of horribly RPed, horribly PGed characters and die many terrible deaths.

13. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The other D&D crpgs (including the BG series) encourage powergaming far more.

14. Tioma Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I like difficult challenges, for example, unarmed solo monk in HoF from scratch. Within such imposed restriction, I try to find efficient tactics with a chosen character. So I guess, I'm in the first category : pure role-playing (with hard restrictions at the brink of survival).:D

15. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Another vote for #4, although it's on the verge of #5. My characters are fairly heavily optimised but it wouldn't be taken to extremes. I tend to have fairly set ideas of what they should be like and don't like to diverge too far away from that. Some stats would be lowered pretty far but I'd never drop it all the way down to 3. Multiclassing is only done if I feel it would be right. It's fairly easy to see why a druid who's in combat constantly might want to take a single class of fighter in order to improve his knowledge of weapons. Taking a single class of monk in order to benefit from the wisdom AC increase is a bit harder to accept. Nothing to stop a crazy story being concocted to justify it but it just wouldn't feel right to me. The distinctions may be arbitrary but they're in my head.

The most important thing to me in the party build is to try and maximise the roleplaying/story elements that are provided by the game. The party leader should have a high Int and Wis as well as 18 Cha in order to maximise the dialogue options available. One character will also have a high wilderness skill. It may be useless but it is interesting damnit!

Mati likes this.
  16. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

normally #3 or #4 with an occasional foray into # 6 territory :)

17. kylan271 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

RPG vs Powergaming??? Hmm for a long time player of AD&D..since 80s,it is mix and match of Role Playing and creating exciting characters(character creation is my buzz),or the game becomes boring. Good Portrait+Voice+Class+Race blended to your taste. Problem I see here in IWD2 is real life time demands..so have to powergame more to get throught he game in what time I have to play,limited Diety(for Clerics)and race options(I do not like fav level choice,I mod it to 'any')and no 'reputation' strictures so you can butcher anything even if 'good'(which turns the game into just hack and slash),unlike BG,and damn limited money to shop grrrrrrrrr. So I have to adjust my party to these variables and then the CR thingy...aghhhh. Stress. Many dialog links cut out so hard to Role Play some things also.

18. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Another number four, albeit with some tendencies either way. If I find that I have powergamed too much in one game, I try to make up for it by roleplaying the second time through.

19. Stuntman Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I'm between a 4 and a 5. Closer to a 5. I really like building my party and optimising it. Computer Adventure Games (I refuse to call them computer RPG's because I don't feel the RP aspect of them very much) to me are more about using your party resources to fight monsters.

If I play PnP D&D, then I would role play. I just find that a (good) human DM allows you to role play at a level that computer adventure games these days cannot come close to. IWD2 is too liner for me to really feel that I'm role playing. It's more like going from one room to the next and killing monsters (which I do enjoy). Some things in IWD2 are just stupid like when my invisible PC approches an important NPC and a conversation starts. After the conversation is over, I'm still invisible and the NPC doesn't know I'm there. If he doesn't know I'm there, how the heck can he start a conversation with me in the first place?

To me, computer adventure games are for powergaming, pencil and paper RPG's are for role playing.

20. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    #5 for me. I usually end up making crazy excuses to allow myself to make a little crazy minmaxing in CRPG's, I'll exploit the cheese to make the characters a little more crazy, then I'll go and justify it by saying to myself "it's in the game, if it's doable by not actually cheating, then it's ok" but I wont go all the way in making ultimate power-playing characters...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.