1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: How powergamey/roleplaying are your CRPG parties?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Mudde, Dec 4, 2007.

?

How roleplaying/powergaming are your parties?

1. 1: Pure roleplaying - "I make no compromises - If I want my character to have that feat/skill that I

8 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. 2: Mostly roleplaying but a few thoughts on overall efficiancy - "Hmm,maybe I shouldn't use 6 pure r

27 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. 3: Balanced - "Powergaming is only for bad players that can't finish the game without it."

19 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. 4: Slightly powergamed - "They are supposed to be heroes so they must be quite effective!!! But Juk

45 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. 5: Quite optimized but some theme/roleplaying thoughts. - "With these min-maxed stats and advanced m

36 vote(s)
    24.0%
  6. 6: Pure Powergaming - "RP:ing is for loosers! My party can beat the crap out of those PR:ing wimps!

15 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    1. For me!

I come up with a character Idea, then with a suitable history and traits and pick accordingly.
    Sometimes it's a rag tag bunch, a weak one at that, but it all adds to the flair of having a colorful party.

For example:
    the Eccentric Sorcerer with a fetish for fire-based spells only and a thing for music. So, he gets a bit of bard and perform.

Randomness is the key!

The Ironman Mode in ToEE is quite cool. Lets you dice only once and be done!

2. lendial Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

number 6 ..or 7!

i played a solo sorc under insane tactics mod and reloaded about 200 times just to get 12 tymora's loops- ORS and excessive level squatting/muling was required to pull it off. it was the most enjoyable single player gaming experience ive ever had- even more dragon age origins.

i have nwn2 installed but havent gotten around to it yet even though it should be iwd2+rpg elements+better graphics.

3. Tharlok Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I would say #5 for me - I don't play HoF so I don't invest in some builds. I read both UPP & JUPP and tried most of the combinations before I decided that it really didn't suit my style. I'm not that advanced and therefore I tend to be more powerful (and successful) when I play my own parties, since I know what I want to do and how to do it.

4. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

1 or 2 for me, i'm a dedicated role-player. I'm playing IWD2 for the first time, and after every big adventure or two I update the biographies of my created characters, essentially making them into journal entries for their thoughts and feelings as they go through the storyline and grow together. It's no fun for me without any character development.

5. Voy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Same, but I'm sort of looking for a perfect party/play-through in EVERY game both from roleplaying and powergaming perspective, to the point it's not even funny. That's why I restart at least 3 times each game, it's a disease, I'm not proud of it.

starfox64 likes this.
  6. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Admitting you have a problem is the first step, Voy.

7. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I used to do that. Never finished the game because I would get to Kuldahar and then think of a better party.

But I finally overcame my disease and managed to finish the game twice. It actually gets much better, later on. I find I dont really enjoy the game until the end of the horde fortress. From there, its more enjoyable. My favourite parts are generally the wandering village and surrounds.

8. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I put in a 5. I do make my characters primarily to plow through the game though they tend to have a theme and I don't go all out but I do like making my characters as good as they can be.

Have to admit though that my party leader is a mostly bard which isn't that good in IWD2 (though they are awesome in actual 3e pnp games and in most every other edition I might add).

9. NguyenGiaThai Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

2. Mostly RP, but some thoughts on effiency.

a. 1 Deep Gnome Pure rogue function that will dual to fighter as an archer. Ugly as sin. Pure XP sinkstone, you might say. Good enough that even with ECL she still can be in squatting. Possibly dual to Wizard as backup buffer and freeing main wizard to be artillery. DEX. Currently at 10Rogue/Transmuter as an excellent scouting bowgirl. Wizard spell only at 3 armor spell to selfbuff. Why not 8? Because I want the three feats Ro10 can give access to.

b. 1 18CHA/10INT Human Rogue as bluffer and intimidater, that will dual to Sorcerer once she got enough skills. Prolly R9-Sorc? Also archer. Also a natural squatter. Point invested in DEX. Rogue8/Fighter4 as an excellent bow girl. Squatting to save up level so that once we go sorceress we dont lack firepower.

c. 1 Aasimar Bard as diplomat, shopper, and all round buffer. Leader position. CHA. Excellent support. Her enchanting song save our asses lots of time when enemies broke through the meatshield or when ambushing ones drop behind us. Plus her Chromatic Orbs, of course.

d. 1 Aasimar Paladin as pure muscle guy. Prolly Fighter4 to get large sword specialization. STR. Backup buffer.

e. 1 Human Dreadmistress of Bane as Cleric. Mostly summoner, buffer, and terrifier. When our backup casters get along buffer duty is transfer and she can become offensive with Flame Strike and Sol Orb.

f. 1 Human Wizard as pure caster. Prolly should do a non-Human wizard because when she get to level 7 (cast l4 spells) she dont have any (early goblin warrens). Drow is better, then, since her extra INT can compensate somewhat for the slower level. Spell penetration, too. If I replay I would have chosen Tiefling. +2INT in exchange for +1 lvl adjustment. Drow is slightly too restrictive.

hardest difficulty but not HoF, I squat level mostly while I still can, so XP coming in nicely.

Not balanced because frankly my party is unbalanced as hell. And stuck with a few sinkstone (rogues).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.