1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What type of modules do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Errol, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Deepdarkness Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

hey tht sounds like a good starting... i would do something like tht if only i was good enough.... but yea that sounds like a good idea. but 1 problem. your suposed to start out at level 1 so how do you destroy an entire village...

2. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] The Grim Rippor, I must say that was one damn good Idea, apart from the fact that a lot of people didn't want to be plunged into a scenario like that. :p Here's results taken from the form itself:
    ---------------------

- Having the adventure come to you, smack in the face. (town burned down, or NWN) 0% (0)

- A minor plot leading to a much larger one (BG2:SoA) 42% (15)

---------------------
    :D
    So I don't think that Idea would go down too well, although the 'escaping-the-house' idea was v.good, and although I might not make it on fire, it would certainly be a good way to introduce the player. Thanks for the idea, and as I haven't seen you around... welcome to the Boards! :)

Deeperdarkness, thanks for the comments, but I'd advise you to improve your spelling/grammar, or the Administrators will be on your back. :)
    I recognise the level 1/destroy town problem, and that is why I won't make it as such. When exiting the house (if that is what it's going to be,) you will find a normal town, as I do not want to launch the player straight into the plot, but make him/her find it gradually.
    About your question:
    It will be finished when it is finished, that is all I can say. By reading the topic, you would probably have noticed that making this would take a good long time, and although I can't say for sure, as I've jsut finished the starting Town (a week), it would take some time.

Thanks for advice again. :)

3. The Grim Rippor Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Hey, thanks a lot for the positive comments :D I'll see if I can change it a bit and make it when I get a new Pc and NWN will run at more than 2 fps :p . Good luck on the module, I cant wait :)

By the way, you DO know me (A bit), For I am The Grim Ripper, But I forgot my password and I really can't be bothered to get it back as my e-mail has changed :)

[ September 09, 2002, 17:55: Message edited by: The Grim Rippor ]

4. Deepdarkness Gems: 2/31

thx and yea I know my grammer :p my keyboard is messed... and I have habits... but no I didnt like the being thrown into the plot thing. but I also didnt like how bg2 did it they revieled too much to start.. a good bg1 beginning sounds like the best by far if you ask me... but that is me... you might think about having somewhere in the story a person that use to know the protaganist approach him and start a converstation... what is said is up to you as is wether to use the idea...

hope i helped.... at least a little :idea:

5. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Update 1.0
    ----------------

First: This is the first update on the module, and so far I have Three different starts to the module, and I'd appreciate it if you would decide which you prefer in your upcoming posts, and include any decent Ideas. Do you like:
    • The Ship - The player wakes up in a ship's cabin, along with several sailors. He find he has been travelling along the sea for a good week or two, leaving to find adventure. The ship stops at the shore (won't reveal where) and the player can explore form thereon, eventually getting introduced to a major quest.
    • The House - The player wakes up in his house, with several of his items in the house (class related). Upon exiting, he finds himself in a village, and can look for jobs or something to do. Variant 2: He finds the village under attack/burning/disease.
    • The Inn - The player wakes up after a horrendous night of drinking the previous night, and finds all he has to wear are some smelly old garments. Not knowing what he did before, he can start and act however he wants.
    All three have been implemented, but I would need to know which one you would prefer in a module. And now on the update itself:
    After a while, the main Town (you start in) and it's surroundings have been made. Each house has been filled with Placables, Area Transitions and Shops. Therefore you will not find any 'empty' houses.
    Apart from the Three starting locations (in particular the Inn), no characters/commoners/people have been inserted into the module, only the few area's so far.
    A particular Idea I had, is to have a ship docked into the town (using Rural tileset), and being able to board the ship, sailing away. (This would bring you to the Ship start). This module is in fact going to be a prelude, and so the Ship could be the 'Real' start, whereas you have the option to play before that, and boarding the ship if you so wish.
    Most scripts have been written (taken a good long while), and sounds/placables (loads of them) have been inserted to the town, just not people.

Give me feedback if it's good.
    Goph

[Edit] Er...maybe some more constructive critisism could be made Fallen Paladin?

[ September 15, 2002, 21:06: Message edited by: Gopher ]

6. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

I like the "Drunken" begining :D

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Honestly, I don't find the ship start as appealing as the other two, but any would be good. I like your idea of working with Chapters, perhaps you can make each part available for distribution instead of finishing the entire story?

I'm not totally sure I understand what you mean by this. Do you mean if the player boards the ship, he starts again? Or does boarding the ship end the prelude?

8. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Heheh, what I meant was that yes, if the player boards the ship, it ends the prelude and gives a good start (the Ship start) to the Main Chapter 1.
    And yes, the chapters will be seperate, a la NWN.
    What thinks you of the idea above?

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I like the Chapters idea, especially if you can allow us to get each chapter on its own as it's created. So far, the start that you've described seems like a pretty good start to me.

10. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] BIG NEWS

Well...not that big really. Firstly, I'm back after a two-week ban from parents, I'm sure you all missed me and longed for me with all your heart and soul.
    Secondly, the module is (slowly) coming together. If anyone wants the ceta (?) version of the start town, then e-mail/pm me, but there may be spoilers.
    Quests are being made, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a seasonable story, apart from waking with a headache. If anyone could (seriously) help with this, please contact also.

Thirdly, the Rural setting is limited compared to the City tileset, and I was wondering what you would prefer playing in?
    Other ideas?

11. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Missed ya?...erm sure :p . I was starting to think you flushed yourself down the toilet :shake:

anyways, nice to see the module is in progress and
    I think the city setting has more possibilities for a true roleplaying game.

12. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] BIG NEWS (2)

Well, not really (again). But things on the module are really starting to shape up! First to be released is a simple Prelude (maybe a week or so, :D ), to set the story straight for the moment.

Then there's Chapter 1, which is half-finished (land-wise, not story).

So, just an update there. And a massive thanks to Uytuun for her help with the Storyline.

Keep posting for more updates!
    :D

[ October 24, 2002, 22:28: Message edited by: Gopher ]

13. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well after reading all your posts good luck gopher. I had to smile at using a ship as the end for your prelude, because that is exactly how I am doing my prelude. In mine the game is over as the character climbs on the boat, and chapter one starts with him choosing his destination. I hope you module lives up to your expectations, as the maker always is the worst reviewer of their products.

14. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

check you PM, and am looking forward to your module. :)

15. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I can't believe I'm the only person who likes big monsters and treasure!

16. Errol Gems: 23/31

Shell...err, this topic is more than a few months old. The project is still underway if you're interested, (the *Module Discussion* topic.) Please post there if you've got an worthy contributions to the story, not just "add monsters" or "include this".

heh.

17. Emporer Laggius Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i got an idea, how bout that, in toun, on every hour, the clock tower rings, and at night the people go in to their houses. good idea? :)

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Sounds like the beginning of "Dude, Where's My Car!?!" ;) :thumb:

Seriously, this sounds like a great module. Any update as to when we'll get to play it? Come on Gopher, its not like you have a life or anything ;) j/k

To add something creative, why not offer a subdual damage that you could inflict at will. If my paladin / fighter / monk / cleric (etc) runs into a thug in an alley, he might not want to kill. Why not let me knock him out, and carry him to the local authorities?

19. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Math... :rolleyes:

I regret to inform you that (temporarily), the module has come to a halt. With exams looming on the Horizon (only 9 weeks or so left), my education has more or less taken over my life. It is for this reason that Thorin decided to leave the "team". He simply couldn't cope (wimp ;) ) but for the moment at least, it's paused.

Sorry, but we'll be back soon.
    Keep posting here though, I will still check it and update. :)

edit: That's an excellent idea however.

[ February 12, 2003, 23:49: Message edited by: Gopher ]

20. Emporer Laggius Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I know, you are one who has been setenced to life in prison, because you killed like 7 people. You must escape some how, by force or by stealth. When you get out, everyone in toun is aprehensive tords you, and the guards will attack, unless you get different clothes, but then they will only attack if you talk to them. when you are killed by a guard, you awake in annother cell. if you get a helmet, you can talk to any guard, once.
    You start with nothing but an imprionment tunic, and a dagger you smuggled in. Also the cell is a good sized one, and is a bit crowded with people that dont look like they have been there a long time. You can also ask them about the place and the weaknesses. pick the lock, or break it down, your choice. If you break it down, it stays that way if you die there, same thing for picking it. there are also other cells with people that can aid you in your escape. The guards will notice if you are destroying the gate, or if you escaped and see your abcence, they will come looking. Once you open the door, all the prisoners will come out and storm the front, attacking all they guards that go by, and once whats left of them is out, they all try to get to a safe house, where you meet the recruter of a certain gang of people. He will give you and the others clothing, and you can join them, getting a key to the equipment rack, gaining access to people who will follow you, merchants, and more! then you must set out to make a new life....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.