1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: Will you start new BG1/2 character for ToB?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Earl Grey, May 23, 2001.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] * Background for question:
    XP cap is raised to 8,000,000 so those of us who like to play dual class characters might want to reevaluate at what levels to dual class.

* Questions *
    will you start a new character for ToB?
    - Start from BG1 ,BG2 or even ToB?
    - What class/kit?
    - At what level will you dual class?

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I'll continue with my solo/singleplayer elven F/M/T since it is no longer humans that can raise to high levels.
    Since I get to keep my magic Items this time I'll be prepared.
    Linvails necklace
    Black Razor, Celestrial fury and Flail of ages.
    Cloak from Shahugian city.
    Gaxx ring, Bracers of AC-3
    And Lotsa healing and Invulnerability(+5 to saves) potions.
    Perhaps I'll Start from scratch with a 2xF/M/T 2xBeserker 1xPriest of L. 1xskald. In the summer. Going all the way. That combo is quite fun. still I get no beserkers in BG1

The only reason two play BG1 again is to
    re-live those amazing moments though. Since all the equipment is taken away. And in SK one can change the stats pretending that one has gotten the Tomes from BG1.

3. Earl Grey

[​IMG] If ToB is the end of the saga - as it is said to be - it could be nice to have a character played through right from the start in Candlekeep, but I probably won't do it either. (Well, maybe if I decide to solo BG1 which I haven't done yet.)

Your F/M/T will not be able to cast 9th level spells though! :(
    XP cap 8M --> 2,666,666 xp/class -->
    Fighter-18/Mage-17/Thief-22

The Flail of Ages will rock in ToB thanks to the improvement you can do to it!

How about waiting very long before dual classing. Something like until you're Fighter-19 (2,750,000 xp) and then dual? The question is if you'll be bored waiting for both classes to be active.

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Yes it would be a sensational feeling having dragged a Hero through the entire BG-trilogy.
    For the pleasure of roleplaying.

I have changed my mind though :D If I choose to go through all of them, I'll play single-player. No solo or 6 homemade PC.
    I want a a hero that meets his friends and conversate with them. Not 5 speechless "dummies" obeying orders. As in my previous Post.

And its a shame about that F/M/T not reaching 9th spelllevel, but life is full of dissapointments and this is one of the ;)

5. Lothar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have a question about importing characters. When one imports a BG1 character into BG2, can one choose a kit for that char. For example can I take my BG1 Paladin into BG2, and make him into a cavalier???

6. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Lovan-I don't think you can do that, but wait for a more definitive answer from someone who knows better than me.

As far as playing all the way through w/ the same character, I wish I had. My first character (for BG1) was actually pretty mediocre but I still finished the game as a Ranger. In BG2, I couldn't figure out how to import (I'm computer-reyarded) so I created a dud e with the same name, same class, close to same stats, but I dualled him to Cleric at lvl 9. I wish I still had the same dude, but I guess I really do anyway. I don't plan to create a new character for TOB. I want to see what my Ranger/Ckleric is capable of at levels that high. So far, so good.

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I'll continue all the way with my good mage with his good party, and my evil beserker with his evil party :)

8. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I would rather try a multi class character.
    I thought of an elven blade singer(fighter/mage).
    If my calculations are right then it could reach an experience level of 22/20. It would be an awesome combination.

I plan to use the following items:

Blade singer chain +4
    Ring of Gaxx
    Ring of Wizzardry
    Cloak of mirroring
    Malakar +2
    Celestial fury +3
    Pale green Ioun stone

*I don't think I would buy the expansion pack, because a 8,000,000 experience cap is too mutch, it unbalances everything!!!! Even your comrades like Minsc will be half gods!!!That's ridiculous!!!*

PS: By the way, can sorcerers dual class?No?

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited May 23, 2001).]

9. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Reply to Lothar:
    Yes you get to choose a kit.

10. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

He, Earl Grey, (about your first post in this topic) Drizzt has also done it.
    I have this book of him, in which it states that he is a level 18 fighter as well as a level 16 ranger. If you'll do that, you'll be very strong...!

11. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Oh! Drizzt is both Fighter and Ranger? That's a weird combo.
    I really must borrow those Drizzt books from my brother some time. ;)

Maybe it isn't too bad to dual after reaching Fighter-19. It's not like when you dual classed in BG1 and were totally useless for a long time. In BG2 the first 7 or so levels are gained lightning fast so your character is quickly useful again.
    It will be a mental adjustment changing playing style - as it should be - and accepting that you are in effect single class for a long time.

I need to think some more on this...

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Drizzt is cool.
    Not only does he overrule commonsence about thach0 and numbers of attack. He did also dualclass??? he isn't even human.

I think You should go for it Earl. having Your hero be a fighter during the adventures of Baldurian and sarevok. Then having him advance further as a mighty warrior in the hard days after the kidnapping to Amn. Then after a 100 hours of gameplay it would be nice to have Your hero switch playstyle. Legally too. After a 100 hours again it will be a magnificent, wonderfull feeling to finally have him ready as a fully armed and operational battlemachine...
    The only problem is that You have made me wonder about starting out like this. Should I drop my beloved F/M/T :confused: :p

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I´m unsure wether I will chose a new char or no - with the new x-cap an mc-fmt should be a nice choice.

I also considered to take an all star party with about three of my PCs (dc-mage thief/ dc kenasi-mage/ halfling cavalier) or I´ll simply continue the halfling pally I now play through BG-1 through BG-2 ToB also. Maybe I´ll try a halfling mc-fighter thief ...

But that´s a thing future will bring. Dunno what I will do.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.