1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PoR2?

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Spirit, Jun 15, 2000.

1. Spirit Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Pool of Radiance 2? What's the point?

(btw, i got here first too)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] What's the point?
    It's gonna be the first 3rd edition D&D game, almost all 3D (except the background) and very interesting. Check out some of the links to previews and such on my site in the news section. There's been quite a lot of them already, so check out the archived news too.

3. Spirit Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Ahh, okay, well, considering the fact that i never really got around to playing the original at all (that was, how long ago?) i really can't comment on the sequelness, and considering the fact that i know absolutely nothing about the game, it would appear that my original comment was made because i had to get a talking point started here. It ... worked.

4. burntime Gems: 2/31

i DID play the original PoR, or is that just past life memories surfacing....
    the thing about the new one (alledgedly) is that you CAN jump onto the table and grab the battle axe from off the wall, break the furniture etc.
    not like the original PoR, where you walked like an egyptian, and were bigger than the trees.

5. Spirit Gems: 2/31

Hehehe, jsut that single comment alone (being able to jump on the table and grab the battleaxe) has convinced me to buy it (probably) when it comes out. That is, if that comment was true...

6. burntime Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] its what ive been told, and i refuse to disbelive it until i am shouting 'you lied!' at the monitor, wouldnt it be ace...

7. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] POR2 might suck!!!!! The first one had such powerful intelligent AI, it kicked my a** (and still does on a regular basis), the graphics weren't that great, but who cares!!! I just hope it retains it's difficulty level!!!!!

8. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] cant wait to check it out POR2, i played the original, a classic. i still have it on old floppy disks (and an old apple collecting dust). i'd play it for kicks but one of the disks is shot. i have a good copy of Curse on floppy as well, but no code wheel and i cant find one.

9. Nazgul Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] What do you expect for a game that was created in 1985. Good Grapics??. That was on the cutting edge of role-playing games back then.

If you don't mind turn-based combat you will then Love this game. If you Hate Turnbased games, then you might want to stick with Diablo 2.

10. Dark Phoenyx Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I love the old classic Realms games, but personally, Pool of Radiance was the second worse of all of them(Besides Hillsfar). I hope the sequel is propotionally much better than the orginal, but would rather have seen one of the other classic FR games sequeled-- A new Eye of the Beholder game perhaps...

11. Nazgul Gems: 2/31

The game will be alot better than any of the old Gold box games. This will start the new generation of gold box games for SSI/Stormfront.

I just love these turn based games.

12. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Everyone seems to be comparing PoR2 to the original, which to me seems a little odd. Although they have the same name, it seems that they have little else in common, apart from the turn-based aspect. How could they when they are 15 years apart?

13. Wingfoot Guest

Gunthar, i gotta agree w/ you on the fact that they are different from each other. 1st off, PoR2 is using 3rd edition rules. i took a glimpse @ the Conversion Manual on this site and a good amount has changed, a little too much to swallow at this point, iguess i just need to get used to the changes.

14. Nazgul Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] There is alot of info on the actual pool of radiance boards about the new 3rd edition.

The game will be turned based, and real time at the same time. Real time until a fight is triged. Then it goes to turn based combat.

The alpha demo is awsome. If anyone was at GENCON in wisconson got to meet Jon, the producer for the game, and got to try out the demo version of the game.

15. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Nope I wasn't. But I was at an E3 convention in florida, got to try it out there.

16. Nazgul Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Tomorrow the new Pool of Radiance website will be up ;)

17. Aragorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The May 2000 issue of Computer Games Magazine featured some pretty in-depth previews of PoR2 and Baldurs Gate 2. They both sound great, especialy PoR2!

18. Fihnakis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Nazgul: Yes it was :D Did you get to see our lady in red? Small correction too, it was 1988 ;)

Aragorn: If you like reading previews, RPGPlanet will be posting one up, hopefully soon, written by myself. Might not be as long as the May issue of CGM but it's in-depth ;)

Fat Egg: Why might it suck?

Burntime: You can break any object that is mapped interactive, jump on tables for + bonus to attack, move objects that are mapped to be interactive (barrels, tables, chairs, etc). Don't know about grabbing battle axes of walls, but being that it's an item I don't see why not. Also, there is no more statue looking figures. They are all animated with different poses. Combat pose and walking pose. The combat pose resembles a kung fu fighter / darth maul mix, poised for attack and in the walking pose, you can actually see your characters breathing. Oh and the trees definitely outsize you this time ;)

Gunthar: There are eliments to the story that tie the two games together but other than that, you're right. They have nothing in common save turn based combat.

-Fihn
    The Scrying Room: For PoR2 news, info and Unofficial FAQ

19. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

I said that because I thought that the 3rd edition rules might be just cut down 2nd edition, I now realize they are souped up 2nd edition along with some cool new features.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.