1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Portraits for a monk?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've checked out a couple dif portrait packs but no luck. There seems to be a ton of them as well. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where I can get some monk pics please?

2. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had the same problem when I started my own BG2 playthrough with a Monk protagonist.

The best ones I found were from the deviantart.com artist Enkida:

[​IMG] - intended as an alternative portrait for BG2's Balthazar (who becomes a playable NPC with some mods)

[​IMG] - intended for use with the Mysteries of the Sword Coast mod

[​IMG] - generic female monk

I ended up using the Balthazar one, but slightly edited it to remove the cross:

[​IMG] (small version cropped closer to his face, for use as hmonks.bmp: [​IMG])

To use one of them with BG2, open it with the graphics software of your choice and create a 110x170 pixels big BMP version called hmonkl.bmp and a 38x60 pixels big BMP version called hmonks.bmp and put them into BG2's portraits directory.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That generic female monk is hilarious! Shave the hair off and call her Aang. I mean who else has a blue arrow tattoo on their forehead?

4. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @Blackthorne

The artist's description on the deviantart page does say "character Design from Avatar: The Last Airbender :-)"

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    In the portrait packs from IWD2 there's a few that fit a monk quite well, I think. Additionally, if you look up some pictures/wallpapers from Jade Empire, you should be able to create some good portraits as well.
    Note to self: create some portraits from Jade Empire wallpapers.

Here's one I took myself from some artbook that I like to use for my monk characters:
    [​IMG]

The small one should be 38x60.

6. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's Geese Howard, from the KoF/Fatal Fury series. He'd make the perfect monk, he's one of the strongest martial artists to appear in those games.

7. Ineth

Media:
    I prefer to confine myself to portraits that have the same (or similar) realistic-but-painted look as those already shipped with the game.

Fixed, thanks.

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've never played those games, but he does look the bit in my opinion.

I understand the sentiment, but find it too limiting. So I just limit myself to stuff that doesn't look too cartoony. Because even the stuff from IWD has a very different art style than the portraits from BG, so might not be ok if I just limit myself to that style.

/edit
    Also, if you want to create a half-orc character, BG offers very little. IWD2 has a good female half-orc portrait, but for additional stuff, I usually turn to Warcraft/WoW. Those look more like straight orcs, not half-orcs, but at least they look pretty good.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  9. henkie

Media:
    Found a female monk portrait recently, based on the Diablo 3 concept art for the female monk. Would have been better if the original had a bit more height to it, so I could've kept her right palm on the picture.

[​IMG]

10. Ineth

Media:
    Hey all, I made a bunch more monk portraits from images I collected from the web!

Besides resizing & cropping them, I also slightly sharpened and color-adjusted many of them, and in a few cases replaced the background or made other modifications to try and make them more appropriate as BG2 portraits to be used along side the built-in ones.

Note: You can click a portrait to get to its album page, which has a caption saying who the character in the portrait is (if known).

Male portraits

...from various settings:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

...from Paizo's Pathfinder:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

...from Legend of the Five Rings:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

...from Diablo 3:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Ineth

Media:
    ...from Jade Empire:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Female portraits

...from various settings:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

...from Legend of the Five Rings:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

...from Diablo 3:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

---------- Added 0 hours, 26 minutes and 53 seconds later... ----------

portraits from existing packs

Here are some more Monk portraits that I found in existing portrait packs from Sorcerer's Place or Spellhold Studios. I did not modify these at all; I just put them here in one place for the convenience of others who may be looking specifically for monk portraits...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Is that Miley Cyrus? :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.