1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Problems with BG 2 and ToB

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by lilith21, Dec 20, 2015.

1. lilith21 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hello again. I'm playing SoA again (not the enhanced edition) and a lot of the npc's I try to talk to are always too busy to talk. It's getting really annoying because I DL'ed the patch for SoA and I try to DL the patch for ToB and I keep getting "the system cannot locate the file specified" and it says severe in the upper left hand corner. It's gotten better since I DL'ed the SoA patch, but still not up to par. I have a Windows 7 and I own the 4 in 1 set (BG and TotSC and BG SoA and ToB) and I did a full installation on ToB and SoA. I just got sick of BG where the bsttle with Sarevok and his lackeys. I've gotten older since I beat it and now it's almost impossible for me. Been about 16 years since I last beat it.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    This problem rings a bell. I thought the official patches fixed the problem.
    Have you tried starting a new game since you installed the official patches?

As for the TOB patch problem, do you have Throne of Bhaal installed? If you do not have Throne of Bhaal ( you should get asked if you want to play Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal when starting the game) installed, the patch will not work.

If you do have ToB installed, and are running Windows Vista or later, try running the patch program as an administrator by right-clicking on it and choosing "run as administrator" even if you are logged in as the admin. UAC will prevent it from running with elevated privileges unless you do it this way.

Actually, if you don't have ToB installed, you should try re-running the SoA patch program as an administrator too.

See this for others advice on this issue:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/community/index.php?threads/cannot-talk-with-npc.73059/#post-817994

3. lilith21 Gems: 5/31

I have both SoA and ToB installed. When it asks me if I want to play SoA or ToB I click SoA and go from there. I cant find the official patch anywhere and I can't DL ToB patch. Every dl says the system cannot find the specified file. I'm not really cpu saavy so I just suppose my computer can't find the dL or something is wrong. Edit: I found the official patches. I installed SoA official patch yesterday and the game worked better but I'm still having problems. That's when I tried to install the ToB patch and I keep running into the same problems I've said I run into above. I simply can't get the official ToB patch to DL correctly.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    How exactly are you downloading the patches and have you tried downloading the official patches from Sorcerer's Place?

The important thing to note is that you need to install the correct regional patch. EU for EU version of the game, US for US version of the game. Also make sure they're installing to the correct folder.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Did you try running it as an administrator?
    I'd also recommend downloading a new copy just in case. Put the patcher in the same folder as the game, right click on it and choose "run as administrator".
    You can download both patches here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_misc.php

Of course, you should (and sometimes must) be logged in as the administrator to attempt to install a game patch even with "run as administrator".

Also try to figure out if you have the American or British/UK/English/Australian version. It is important to use the correct patch. If all else fails, try the other patch for the European version. Worst case scenario is that you have to uninstall the game, delete everything in the former game directory, then reinstall.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Downloading the patch here also doesn't work? (Go to the Throne of Bhaal Official Patches header and select the english or non-english patch, depending on which language version you have.)

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Your ninja skills are weak, grasshoppers. :geezer:

8. lilith21 Gems: 5/31

I DL'ed SoA patch again and that worked as it did the first time. However, the ToB one still doesn't work. My only way I use my pc is by administrator...And I live in the U.S. and my language is English. I got the game on amazon in the U.S. so I assume is U.S. version no?

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Stuff from Amazon could come from anywhere.
    It can't hurt to try the European version. The worst case scenario is that you FUBAR the game worse than it is and need to do a clean reinstall. That is, uninstall the game, then delete the game directory (I'd normally say back up your saved games, but in this case just back up any exported characters you want to keep) manually to get rid of anything that remains, and then reinstall the game.

Again, remember, if you are using anything later than XP (Vista, 7, 8.X, 10) right click on the patch program and choose "run as administrator" even if you are logged in as the administrator. Otherwise UAC will prevent it from running with Admin rights even if you are logged in as an administrator.
    In XP you just need to log in as the administrator.
    In Windows 9X you're pretty much always the administrator so it doesn't matter.

10. lilith21 Gems: 5/31

Thanks for your replies. Slickrcbd I'll try the run as administrator path...

11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'll say, got ninja'd twice, even.

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Also, could you share with us your installation directory? If you installed the game into Program Files, it could be causing problems.

13. lilith21 Gems: 5/31

That's what I did program files. I reloaded and uninstalled anyway. Now I just need to find the patches for balderdash and g3 fixpack and ease of use and g3 tweaks. Does anyone have a link to these?

14. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Unless you're running Windows XP or earlier, you shouldn't install any games to the Program Files folder. It's a surefire way to have the system throw a hissy fit over the stupidest things.

15. lilith21 Gems: 5/31

Yeah, like I said a few lines up; I'm not too computer saavy so I'll take turtle steps lol.

16. henkie

Media:
    G3 fixpack you can find here and G3 tweakpack here. Ease of use has been included in the tweakpack.

17. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    FYI, Baldurdash can be found here
    http://www.baldurdash.org/
    However, it has been superseded by G3 fixpack.
    There is nothing Baldurdash can do that G3 Fixpack can't do as well or better.
    Ditto for ease-of-use and G3 Tweaks.

Baldur's Gate should not be installed to \program files\ on a 64-bit system, it should either go in \program files (x86)\, but a better bit of advice for games that are compatible with Windows 9X is to create a C:bad:games directory and install all games that list compatibility with Windows 95, 98, or ME to that directory.
    Installing all games that came out before 2006 regardless of Windows 9x compatibility to this new C:bad:games directory is probably a good idea.

The 32-bit versions of Windows Vista, 7, and 8 usually don't have as many issues for games written for XP, but if they are compatible with Windows 9X, you should also create a C:bad:Games directory and install all such games to that directory. Some XP games should be installed there too. Use C:bad:games like a \program files\ directory.

18. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    So, did you get the problem resolved? Please let us know, we can't help further if we don't get feedback.

19. lilith21 Gems: 5/31

I uninstalled and reloaded, the game was all messed up and I couldn't even get in after a bit. This time I installed the patches and Tower of Deception and I 'm ok now thanks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.