1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

question about bastard swords

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by enigmatic, Jul 19, 2004.

1. enigmatic Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

In the manual it's saying the bastard sword is a a one-handed melee weapon, but in the game when i equip it, it is being used as a two handed weapon.

Would someone please explain how to use this weapon as a one-hand weapon if possible?

ps. i did a search for this already if you must know.

2. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

That sword type is kinda weird. It's normally a two-handed weapon. But if you take its Exotic Proficiency feat, then you can wield it one-handed. I guess the idea is that anyone can wield it two-handed like a sawed-off greatsword, but it takes special training to wield it one-handed like an overgrown longsword.

3. frosttemplar Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I don't try TEE but in all AD&D games BG, ID, and PT Bastard Swords are one handed it's perhaps a special bastard sword you get no ? What's the weapon name ? is-it a magical one or just the standard bastard sword ? Perhaps a mislabeled weapon...

4. enigmatic Gems: 1/31

one is the Fragarach and the other is a Masterwork bastard sword.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    GM is correct rules-wise.

Did you have a shield equipped? If not, then the game treats any weapon as a two-handed one.

I agree it's rational, but the problem is, rogues and bards don't have shield proficiency from start and they typically use one-handed weapons, which means in PNP or other cRPGs using D&D, rogues use one-handed weapons with free off-hand and don't get any special benefits.

6. enigmatic Gems: 1/31

I think i did try with a shield equipped, but i'll try again to make sure. Well thanks for the help (though i don't think this should be the end of the thread) if I have any more questions regarding this matter i'll just post them here. Anyways, have a nice day/night.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.