1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question about summoning Belial in chapter two

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Reklaw, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Reklaw Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

2. Gamer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You need to put a fire beetle's belly in the braizer and cast burning hands to summon the demon. Be careful to first use the wand of protection on yourself. Otherwise Belial will attack you. When you summoned him you can make him do one of several things for you, one of them is to give you an oath about what has happended.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You might as well not bother with the oath unless you're really, really role-playing, because his oath is not even taken into account on trial. It isn't even mentioned, you get told the story in short again as if you didn't hear the long version from Belial himself. This kinda pissed me off, I missed a chance to get a powerful magical item from him. The "make me more powerful" option is useless too. (Tried.)

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I may be remembering wrong, but I didn't think you could even accuse the demon without the oath from it. As I recall, only the two brothers show up, and you have to indicate the oath from the demon as a reason you won't judge either brother as guilty...

5. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That part really annoyed me. I got the oath from all three, but when it came time to judge I could only say that *one* was guilty. Kharlat was obviously guilty (he knew what he was doing), and the Demon was also guilty (he asked Kharlat to do it, and also 'lied' to Kharlat to make sure he would do it). So why couldn't you say that both were guilty? In the end rather than let Kharlat off, I just said he was guilty.

BTW - what's the cool item you could have got from the Demon? Just so I can berate myself for not taking that option ;)

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I accused the half-lich, who actually is guilty, and the oath from Belial didn't even come into play. That's what I was talking about. I couldn't go for both not being guilty, the half-lich did murder all the children after all. If anything, I'd go for both being guilty, since Quint knew his brother was dealing with demons. But that was not an option, so I went for second best.

As for the magic item, I imagine it's a random high-level treasure. I didn't actually try it out myself. Though with my luck, I'd probably get my fifth Staff of Curing. :rolleyes:

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ah, I see. Then that's true, you wouldn't need the demon's oath. I felt Kharlat was guilty of being a fool, much like Fenthick. His intent was good, and he should have known the sacrifice of the children was unnecessary (he was trying to become a benevolent type of "Lich", I forget what the name was).

That doesn't really excuse what Kharlat did, but given the "one guilty party" scenario, I took each one's intent as paramount.

As far as Quint, I held him blameless because he didn't know his brother's intent, and tried to stop him when he found out. Just too late.

8. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Spoiler warning - just in case :p

If you choose one of the brothers guilty, the oath from the demon doesn't come into play. If you choose both of the brothers not guilty however, the guardian tells you that there is a crime therefore there should be someone guilty and then you can show her the demons oath. You can not directly punish Belial however, what you can do is, let everything remain the way they are because that's the only actual punishment for the demon as he is bound in that castle too and can't return to his plane. With this option you can tell the guardian to keep the phlactery or you can tell her that you'll guard the phlactery. And also she says that the town and the people in it won't be freed this way. So I changed my mind and found the half-lich brother guilty which brought me back to where i initially was :p

9. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

That's not quite accurate. If you tell the guardian to keep the phylactery, then everyone (except you) remains trapped in the perpetual time loop. This includes Belial, the guardian, the brothers, the villagers, that adventurer guarding the castle, etc. It is the only way to actually 'punish' Belial, though. Fairly pyrrhic victory, if you ask me.

If you take the phylactery, then Belial can go free and everyone else is treated the same as if you had convicted Karlat.

If you summon Belial, you get the full story but reading Karlat's journal is enough to prove he's the bad guy here. The main difference with taking Belial's oath is that you can get the 'good' outcome and keep the phylactery instead of having it destroyed (the outcome of just convicting Karlat).

However, you have no way of knowing that and I personally would hold Karlat guilty. He deliberately sought out contact with Belial and (unlike Fenthick) he *acted* in an evil fashion.

10. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Ah, yeah.. Thanks for the correction about the phlactery. :)

11. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

So I can't complete the "Belial's Tale" quest if I just killed him when he was summoned?

12. Taluntain

Media:
    There is no quest with Belial. Just go back and accuse the half-lich and it'll all be cleared.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I must have missed some part of this. I never summoned the demon, found them both not guilty, then when I left the castle, the mayor thanked me and rewarded me.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    As I said... Belial is just there for the eye candy.

15. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Then why did I have a quest called "Belial's Tale" in my journal after I found the half-lich guilty, Castle Jahreg was closed and the village was free from the curse?

16. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hmmm...this is just a guess. The journal entry 'Belials Tale' is probably first triggered by Kharlat asking you to summon him to get the demon's side of the story. It would most likely move from the incomplete to complete section of your journal once you get Belial's side of the tale. If you killed him without getting his statement, therefore, it wouldn't be triggered or closed, and would stay open even after the rest of the story was finished. Not entirely sure if this is correct, but it might be one possibility.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    That is correct, actually. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.