1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question leading to debate (I hope)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Panman, Aug 28, 2000.

1. Panman Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I've seen the posts about starting BG2 with a character imported from BG1(with TOTSC you ca get 161,000 XP) and debates about starting a new character in BG2. My question will focus on stats, in which monster stats obviously make the game easier overall. Here's the question: If I give all the tomes in BG1 to my main character, his stats will be as follows :STR 19, DEX 19, CON 19, INT 20, WIS 7, CHR 14. A Gnome Fighter/Illusionist - gotta love racial bonuses - with every spell BG1 has except Necromancy. Why in the world would I not use him to conquer BG2???

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well I know I'll be using my cool imported mage in BGII, at least the first time through. Next time I'll try a Sorcerer. Should prove interesting. If they implemented it right, they'll be able to cast spells wearing armor. With an x% chance that the spell will fail, but still...

3. Simon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'll definately want to give the sorcerer a try, as well as try out every other kind of char, with every kind of kit -Ack!
    I don't want to "conquer" the game, so I'm not too hell-bent on using my fighter-mage with juiced-up stats (why only use all the tomes from ONE game?). The game seems to offer lots and lots of varying role-playing possibilities, which can't be experienced with just a couple of juiced-up chars.
    As for stats I do think personality stats (wis, int and charisma) are important, so I get more story/dialogue options.
    So your Gnome will kick ass, but beyond that he won't do the game for you, not in its true entirity.

4. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

From another debate I would just like to say I have role-played, in other words used a thief or bard, or any crappy class. I won't import my characters as they will be too powerful, and in turn the game may become to easy. I think that right off I'll play a sorcerer, because it will be a new class. Later I may import just for fun, or I will try one of the long-standing classes, such as fighter, or thief, etc., and probably I'll leave multi\dual-classes for last.

5. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I agree! I'll be starting off using the new character classes/kits in BG2 just to see what they can do. I might pull my party from the original in later to see how they compare but I really think giving a new set of completely different characters a shot will be worth it to see what they can and cannot handle. The Sorcerer is definately worth a look.

6. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I will create a new character,
    with the best stats as possible!
    I'll roll those dice on and on till i have at least enough to create a half-orc barbarian with 19 strenght/constitution, 18 dexterity, 18 wisdom, and charisma as high as it can get, intelligence I won't need!
    It would be boaring to use your old character again with all those extra thing (because of the tomes), because there won't be any tomes in BG2.
    And I just love the new kits and all!

7. sminnis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm in agreement with those who'll be using new characters with BGII. If you're particularly attached to your BG character, I can see the role-playing value of continuing his/her adventuring life.

However, BGII has so many interesting new kits and classes, I can't see keeping my boring old fighter just because she kicks ass. Having too strong a main character at the beginning could be pretty dull.

One other thing, I read on the BGII fax that you will start the game be breaking out of a jail that will contain a variety of nifty magical items you can score on your way out. BUT, if you import your BG character, many of those items will be ones your character possessed at the end of BG. Where's the fun in that? The magic items in BG were pretty damn dull, if you ask me. The ones in IWD have a lot more variation and character, and I'm assuming the ones in BGII will be even better.

For me, I'm still trying to decide between archer, shapeshifter, kensai, and skald. No chance I'll be using a BG character.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.