1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rakshasas and Elven Battle Mages

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by occam, May 30, 2015.

1. occam Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hi.

As everyone here is probably aware, there is a triggered cutscene in Suldanessellar when 4 Rakshasas battle 3 Battle Mages. Now, I've always been able to defeat the Rakshasas without suffering significant damage (thought it has always been a lenghty affair) but I have never managed to save any of the Battle Mages (there was one occasion when one of the mages panicked, ran away and saved his hide, but I'm not quite ready to cast horror on them yet :D).

Any tactical advice on how to save them?

My party: A cavalier PC, Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc and Viconia.
    Imoen can end the fight by casting Time Stop and 3 Horrid Wiltings (I'm a bit overleveled) but Horrid Wilting kills the Battle Mages as well.

---
    Problem is, all the Rakshasas instantly fire Triggers with Mislead and Protection against Magical Weapons. I have tried casting Time Stop, and then True Sight, Pierce Magic and Breach, but either it does not affect them, or they instantly! put more protections when the Time Stop ends, and shortly thereafter, dominate one of the Battle Mages and kill the others with a fireball-like spell. Help?

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    AFAIK, Those Rakshasa are immune to spells below 8th level, meaning they'll be unaffected by pierce magic, breach and i assume true sight as well.
    That doesn't leave a lot of spells that would help in this situation.
    some i can think of are :

Pierce Shield - You're probably going to have to resort to this to get rid of their defenses.
    Power Word, Blind - Might be your best bet. quick cast, is a small aoe instead of targeted so it *should* ignore spell protections, and has no save. unless them attacking the elves is scripted as well, they shouldn't do anything as long as they are blinded.
    Maze/Imprisonment- might be useful to get rid of one or two of them leaving you to tangle with just the 1 left.

Spellstrike will probably do nothing because they're shielded.
    You could also try casting Otiluke's Resilient Sphere on the battlemages, though i don't know if that will make them go hostile on you :confused:

3. occam Gems: 2/31

Thanks for the help! I saved two of the three Battle Mages with a Time Stop and True Sight+Pierce Shield and, given the number of tries, decided to quite while I was ahead.

A strange thing I noticed: after the battle starts, a fourth Battle Mage materializes from thin air, and he sided with the Rakshasa. He was the one that casted the Sunfire that did the other Battle Mages in. I had to kill him first.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why would you want to save any of them anyway? Also, don't you start reaching HLAs at that point (or is that just dirty min-maxers like myself)?

5. occam Gems: 2/31

I always try to save all the non-party creatures that fight with my enemies for roleplaying reasons.

And yes, I already had HLAs available, what of it?

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Media:
    [​IMG]

And i guess getting HLA's at this point all depends on your party size/the amount of questing you've been doing before hitting suldanesselar.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Media:
    I've gotten HLA's at that point, but it depends on the amount of side quests you've done.
    It's quite possible to get them with a 6-member party just by completing ALL the quests in your journal before heading there.

I won't pretend to remember just how many quests I needed. I know that I once did a "gotta find it all" run game on trying to acquire ALL the available unique treasures in the game. The object was to acquire every named weapon and armor (as opposed to a generic longsword+1), and every distinct magic item while maintaining a heroic reputation.
    As such, before heading to Spellhold I did most of the side quests in order to empty out the Adventurer's Mart since I couldn't steal those unique goodies.
    The thing I recall about that game was that I got HLAs for everyone except Imoen (I had Yoshimo until then) much earlier than usual, well before this point in the game. I had a full party too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.