1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ranger Cleric

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Shaitan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Nothing great - but given the dearth of even semi-useful off hand weapons, having a few extra points of AC is usually your better option. There are no shields that are greater than +2, even taking the expansion into account.

2. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I had in mind, that my upcoming R/C would continue his fare into BG2. But I could use hammer/shield in BG1 and then in BG2 make him dualwielding.
    One of the nicer aspects with BG1 is the missing overpowered items. I'm looking foreward to start - perhaps to morrow?

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That's exactly what I did with my R/C. I'm in BG2 now with all his stat additions from BG1 and he is totally kicking ass dual-wielding.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I would recommend that. Remember - dual wielding wasn't part of the original Baldur's Gate, and so they didn't need as much in the way of weapons. It's not just clerics - there aren't that many +2 weapons in the game period. Of the one handed varieties that you could theoretically dual wield, you have an ax, longsword, short sword, numerous daggers, in addition to a +3 short sword and Drizzit's scimitars. That's it. (Also Spider's Bane and a +2 halberd, but you can't dual wield them even in TuTu.) If something like Spider's Bane existed as a one-handed weapon, it would be worthy of an off hand slot, as it "gives you something" beyond an extra attack.

5. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Aldeth, there's the shield of AC+2, AC+4 against missiles, very useful IMO.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It's a +1 shield that's +4 vs. missiles - as a reward to the quest of returning the child's body from Umberlee's temple. A +1 shield does give a bonus of +2 to AC, but it's still a +1 shield.

7. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

:lol: yeh I think people get confused with that. Because a normal shield will improve AC by 1 so therefore a +1 shield will improve AC by +2! By the way we're talking about the Shield of Fallin Stars yeh ... the one with black and yellow?

8. raptor Gems: 16/31

Quick question, I am fairly new to the Cleric/Ranger combo, and was curious if you dualclassed ranger into cleric, does he have ot be a certain level to get the druid spells ? or is it enough with level 2 ranger dual to cleric ?

9. Fly2tHeSkY

Umm I'm pretty sure you have to wait a looong while before a ranger can cast spells, like around 7th or 8th I think. Can anyone confirm this for me?

10. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

A multi-classed R/C has access to druid spells right away, and a Ranger dualed to Cleric has access to druid spells right away, so I'd assume that a BG1 dual would work the same. But I've never tried...

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Bion is absolutely correct. However, from personal experience, it is extremely difficult to roll a character with the ability scores to dual class to a cleric from a ranger. It's a lot easier to make a multi-classed R/C, and IMO they're better than dual classed R/C anyway.

12. Fly2tHeSkY

But when you get up to BGII don't you think it would be better to have had a dual class combination as to allow a kit once you reach BGII?

13. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    It largely depends whether you have SoA or ToB, the MC is better and easier because ranger kits are not such good options for a cleric (I assume you don't intend to dual the other way) archer won't be effective with a sling and stalker won't backstab with a mace... I wouldn't even consider beastmaster (unless you really need to spice up the difficulty of the game).

14. raptor Gems: 16/31

jusst for the record, im not aiming this for bg2, im using any combination of near infinity, gatekeeper and ease of use required to make things the way i want if it is for RPG reasons :p

I wanted to make a sort of mix between cleric and druid, so i made a halfelf dualclass from level 2 ranger to cleric. And just wanted to know if i stil got the ranger/druid spells when the ranger class became active again (at cleric level 3)

15. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Absolutely. It'll work fine.

16. wanderon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Indeed it will work fine but I would suggest going to level 3 ranger just to get the extra weapon prof myself and don;t forget you can only use cleric weapons so choose acordingly.

The very first character I finished the game with was a Ranger3/Cleric back before ToTSC was even released... ;)

And as for rolling up a ranger to dual to cleric its still easier than rolling a fighter to dual to druid where you must have 17 in both wis and cha... ;)

17. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Maybe. Ashideena (Bassilus's hammer) and a sling equipped with shield should do you well, so why would you bother with another proficiency point you'll probably not use? And a 4th level cleric has the same THAC0 as a 3rd level ranger, so that's no bonus.
    Only if you want to max everything, and even then you'd want a high CHA for interaction anyway. Let's take a little comparison, shall we?
    Code:
    Class  STR  DEX  CON  INT  WIS  CHA  Total
    R->C   15   15   14    3   17    3     67
    F->D   15    3    3    3   17   17     68 
    :jawdrop: :shake: Shucks, beaten by a point. Oh well. :rolling:

18. Fly2tHeSkY

I know this whole thread was based around creating a Ranger/Cleric, but maybe, from what we've just been talking about, you'd consider taking another class. Perhaps a Fighter/Cleric would be easier to get what you want? Or did you just want the Ranger part for the abilities and the spells?

19. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Nay, I still go for my R/C. I wanted to get some opinions - and got it. I think R/C is a nice build. I got all divine spells so I'm happy. Besides I haven't finished a game using a R/C :)

20. Fly2tHeSkY

LOL then by all means go for it! You'll get a nice mix of spells and power for that multi class build so it should be fun! Even though you're unable to use bladed weapons it should be ok, have fun! :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.