1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ranger Cleric

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Shaitan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Yeah, and when I hit BG2, I'll have my AoE back, so I can use a blade again :p

2. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

HA! But that takes the fun outa it! But I have to admit, I would play a Ranger/Cleric if I could use bladed weapons! Cheating is sooOoOo bad, but hey, watcha gona do!

3. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

No level 3, this character isnt main combatant kinda person. I just wanted to have cleric/druid spells. And she wil not use any weapons that a druid could not use :) So no worry, its sling and quartherstaff for me.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

I have one thing to say ... Eww! I hate slings with a passion! And there is only really one of two staves that I would actually use, so for me, that just puts me off it entirely! Even with the Cleric/Druid spells unfortunately :cry:

5. raptor Gems: 16/31

I do not disagree about the sling, mostly becose i dont like there beeing no alternative. I like quartherstaffs, but Once again I am not putting this together to use this and that weapon.

How should a character i create that he should take sword and bow proficiency becose there is a 2hand sword +2 with free action and a composite longbow +2 in the game ? he doesn't.

Besides I am playing with Fields of the Dead, so most of those magic items aren't there anyways, which is why i am begining to really like this mod. Still haven't found anything better than a +1 longsword and battleaxe.

6. Fly2tHeSkY

I guess that once you make it into BGII you'll get a few good blunt weapons that I'd be happy with AND you'll be able to dual wield them. Only problem is the inability of both in BG.

By the way, what attracts most people to slings. I don't recall them ever doing much damage or doing much from afar. In fact, all I remember was the fact that they take up a good weapon slot that would be far more better suited to something that could actually HURT an enemy! :D

7. Tim Tim Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've just started another game with a r/c and only imoen as a companion and at level 4 immy is still pretty lousy with her bow while my main charcater rarely misses and deals a decent damage with her sling.
    if I ever get engaged in a close combat I just magic in a weapon cus of one weapon slot a r/c has, so slings are not that bad

8. raptor Gems: 16/31

Silvershield: i have absolutelly no plans whatsoever to go to BG2. Secondly the chracter is not melee character (you would have cried, if you had seen her "combat stats")

Slings: In 2E Slings is the only ranged weapon usable by Cleric, Druid, Mage. And since every party want one or two of these, the sling becomes more interesting. The mage can be multi or dualclassed to gain a bow proficiency with thief or fighter. Also a sling lets you use a shield, so it is usually a good pick for tanks.

In 3E this get a little defferent. Becose Every class save Druid has both xbow and sling proficiency at start, in other words you get a choice. And druid is still oath bound to only use the sling etc (no forged metal and all that). Lastly in 3E you never get strength bonus to bows or crossbows (special made bows can do it, but rare.) So sling actually lets you use a shield and add your strength bonus to the bullet, thus giving you potentional better damage for a fighter type character.

Tim Tim: Only 1 weapon slot for Ranger/Cleric ? I am playing one myself as we speak, and i have 2 slots. Are you playing with Baldurs Gate 1 WITHOUT the Tales of the sSword Coast expantionpack ? (I recal it added more weaon slots to some multiclasses).

9. Tim Tim Gems: 2/31

yes I am missing the tosc expansion, I never knew they changed inventory as well.

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Clerics, yes, but Druids and mages can both use darts and throwing daggers (I was rather fond of using throwing daggers as a Transmuter in PnP).

@Tim Tim:
    Yes, TotSC adds "quick" weapon slots to almost all the classes that have only one with basic BG. The only exceptions are F/M/T, M/T, and C/T, due to the sheer number of other buttons they're required to have. (Three thief skill buttons, a cast spell button, and even turn undead for the C/T.) Though seeing how they handle the C/T's overload, they could have put in two weapon slots for the mage combos if they really wanted to. :skeptic:

11. Shaitan

Ohoi $ilvershield!
    I just found out that Ashes o' Embers Ashes o' Embers has a part for BG1tutu, wich is called "Universal weapons for all classes". Perhaps it's for you?

12. raptor Gems: 16/31

A tousand pardons Fel, my bad, i never really considered using darts and throwing axes. For me ranged attacks is Bow, crossbow, and sling.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

@ Raptor,

Oh God, please don't show me those stats or trust me I WILL cry! Seriously, even with archer types I can get terribly horrified with some of the stats people roll for their characters :cry:

@Tim Tim,

I guess your party is taking on more of an archer type theme, but it's hard to believe why you're doing it with Imoen and yourself! If you were able to take Coran in the early stages and used him instead of Immy then MAYBE I'd get you, and possibly if you were using a normal melee weapon (blunt weapons ... :lol: ) then MAYBE I'd understand it a little more as well!

I must ask, how DO you get by! Please tell me that!

@ Shaitan,

OMG if you're talking about something that enables R/C's to use bladed weapons then ... I love you! :grin:

Only problem is I don't have Tutu! Always a catch huh :rolleyes:

14. Tim Tim Gems: 2/31

$ilvershield

I have not yet progress very far in this game ( exploring the wild areas after solving nashkel problems and before the bandit camp at the moment ) but I must say I love it and enjoy it far more than I expected.

On my last couple runs through BG1 I had Kivian in my party so I didn't want to have a plain ranger as my main character, so I wanted to give this multiclass a chance plus I find it more chalenging playing without the swords as the main weapons for my party.

immy is there simply for the rp reasons, but it works pretty nice, I use stealth a lot and with only 2 characters that's not too difficult or tedious to manage.
    I will probably use my r/c more as a melee character a bit later in the game after her thaco gets a bit lower plus I just got that nice bassillus's hammer and I mean to actually use it this time around. along with command, hold person, entangle and drow holy might spells I've found litlle difficulties so far.

15. Shaitan

Yes my R/C also comes in handy. He (Bruno) and Minsc are doing the hack 'n slash, and the others throws in from a distance.

Bruno is using a hammer also, but I just got away from the Gnoll Fortress, so I still need the hammer of Basillus.

I use entangle, cure light wounds, doom and DUHM a lot too.

@$ilvershield: I will strongly recommend Tutu, just the TAB function AND the high res is worth it in my opinion. Well now it is, it took around a week to get used to it :)

16. Fly2tHeSkY

Tutu makes everything look like BGII ey? Meh, I'm sure I'd get by without it because I've played BG sooOoO many times that I know where everything is! :D

Well I'm gona start with my R/C later on to see what all this fuss is about! If it's as sh!t as I imagined don't worry, you'll be sure to hear my morale outrage towards the topic soon enough! :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.