1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ranger/Sorcerer build

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by hedron, Sep 11, 2010.

1. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I'm going for an archery ranger and sorcerer build and wondering if anyone has any advice for feats, spells, etc. Right now she's a neutral Wood Elf at level 6 - ranger and 2 - sorcerer. I'm thinking about putting 4 levels of arcane archer in the mix, assuming imbue arrow is as good as it sounds, and going to about level 11 on ranger and the rest on sorcy.

2. DominionSeraph Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I've never played an arcane archer (and it's been a few years since I played NWN2 [reinstalling it tonight though]), but it looks like you'd be spending four levels just so you can cast three 4d6 fireballs with limited targeting options when you're going to have 10d6 fireballs from your sorc. And it's gonna slow your spell progression and reduce the damage output from your higher-capped spells.

I'm just throwing this out, but what about NW9 (3)/Arcane trickster(10)?
    NW9 (3) should give you the requisite 2d6 sneak attack prerequisite for arcane trickster while giving high BAB progression (beats Rogue since you'll be getting evasion from Ranger), then the arcane trickster will give you spell levels while giving more sneak attack die.

So you won't get +2 attack +2 damage and the three 4d6 fireballs from arcane archer(4), but you'll have +1 caster level and 7d6 sneak attack damage, plus give +2 saves to all of your allies within 10 feet. (assuming everyone in your party will already have +1 deflection AC so that bonus from the NW9 is meaningless)

3. hedron Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Arcane trickster sounds good, but the problem is the requirements aren't very good for a ranger. Disable device, lore aren't ranger class skills...of course I could cheat.:evil: I didn't think you could sneak attack with arrows though... I've already chosen archery combat style.

Yea, the imbue arrows seems only good if I was to take arcane archer to 10th level, which I don't really want to do. If I'm getting spells from sorc level, then that kind of kills the usefulness of imbue arrows. Another thing, If an arcane trickster gets spellcasting levels, then why doesn't arcane archer?

I'm thinking maybe 5 levels of shadowdancer? Or maybe just one for hide in plain sight. Though that seems kind of waste since ranger gets it, but I don't want to level the ranger up that high.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Is there any way to make a mod to the Arcane Archer kit so that it keeps with arcane spell progression like some of the other kits?

I haven't investigated modding NWN2 at all, not even experimenting with the toolset.

5. Jathszu Khatharua Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'm using it with bow and arrows, so no problem there.

6. DominionSeraph Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yup, although after now having played with Neeshka a bit, it does seem to be difficult to get the positioning right. To turn the enemies by moving their focus (usually Khelgar) prompts attacks of opportunity. To move her to the other side of things gets an enemy on her, who gets attacks of opportunity on her as she tries to do a ranged attack on enemies engaged by someone else.

But I'm a total noob at this and can't figure out the party AI at all. There's always one who will stand right next to an enemy and not attack or be standing just on the other side of the doorway, and if I select them to move them and tell them to attack, everyone else turns and and runs over! (And this is with defend master turned off)
    The only one that acts with any intelligence is Elanee's stupid badger, and he just gets in the way!

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

You can only sneak attack with bows when you are 30 feet, or less, from the target. Might clear up some issues.

hedron likes this.
  8. hedron Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Yea, I used to defend the AI in this game, well except the enemy AI, but it seems like the last few patches tried to do too much. And that just messed up the AI somehow. I know a lot of it is in the settings, but they are a bit convoluted and that's probably why many people have problems with the AI.

It used to be that I could set it pretty easily to just mindlessly attacking the nearest enemy. Which is what, IMO, it should be, because when you want them to use a feat, item or spell you can tell them to do so yourself. I guess it's just a matter of fidgeting with the settings.

That's good to known. Thanks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.