1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Refugees

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by dmc, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Europe, Great Britain, Canada, The United States and I think Australia, not sure about that one.

Pakistan men molested girls for something like five or more years before it was finally I believe stopped. The reports are easily found. The main stream media ignores them because it just isn't "Polictical Correct" to say anything adverse bout the extreme Islamic Jihadists.

If I have to I will put up a few links later today. I have to go out this morning.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's important to realize that migrants coming from all over the world bring much of that world into ours with them. A lot of what's considered acceptable if not normal in various backwards countries all over the world is most definitely criminal in Europe, but when you've got such large numbers of migrants for whom practising it in their home countries was "normal", it's unrealistic to expect that they'll stop doing it just because they crossed a few borders. The problem with crime on such large scale is that for the authorities enforcing our laws simply becomes impossible for this population, so the popular solution is to ignore it and/or pretend it isn't happening. This has been demonstrated time and time again in dozens of countries with large immigrant populations (mentioned in this thread as well) and it's still de-facto behaviour when it comes to Roma, for example. It's common knowledge for instance that many of them are still selling/wedding off little girls, but because it's part of "their culture", it's simply ignored even though by our standards it violates a whole number of laws and social norms.

So expecting overall standards of what's considered criminal and proper enforcement of European laws to fall with a large influx of people used to committing what we consider criminal acts as part of their normal behaviour is not something to be feared as potentially happening but something that there's plenty of historical evidence for always happening. When you've got the media actively working on not reporting it and tarring and feathering anyone who dares mention it (we're seeing this in the press here on a daily basis), the logical consequence is that even the police becomes afraid of acting on such crime for fear of being labelled racist and dragged through the mud. The only possible end result is that many migrant crimes effectively go unsanctioned until they reach such unbelievably large proportions as the Muslim rape gangs in the UK (which are apparently not being locked up even now -- a major win for political correctness there). And in whose interest is that, exactly?

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Now that was quite well put! The problem is that people seem to struggle with keeping two thoughts in their heads at the same time. Either refugees/immigrants/muslims/insert group here are poor people in desperate need of help and all helpless little angels OR they are backwards, conservative, criminal monsters whose values clash with Western values. People seem to be unable to understand as a group they are both and neither and everyone might just better off if we start looking at individual people as people. I think it is important to note that the victims of the "bad" parts of other cultures is most often members of that culture and except for the Roma (seriously, those guys are screwed, a good example of a group that is at the same time extremely discriminated against, treated horribly by most everyone and thus being extremely in need of aid and also absolutely impossible to help or even feel much sympathy for. The more you learn the less you empathize) most group tend to adapt most parts of the majority culture in a generation or three. There was a lot of the same ruckus when the Iranians arrived here in the 80s and the Kosovo-Albanians in the 90s and most are adapted now. From what I have seen of the Syrians there will be no problem integrating them, the Afgan men might be trickier and sadly the East Africans I have no freaking idea.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I feel that I am not being understood. Which does not surprise me as I am not a gifted writer and I come from a different culture than those who are European. My primary ancestory may be from the British Isles but I am not European.

I am not accusing "everyone" of being rapists and murders but it takes only a few to cause havoc. Emigrants always or at least usually have a period of adjustment and assimilation. Language barriers cause problem as well as the cultural differences. We are a young country and not far from our pioneer roots. When I first moved to New York City in the seventies Manhattan still at its ethnic division clearly defined.

I do feel strongly that the current problem is made worse by the head-in-the-sand attitude of those who insist we have to be tolerant and accepting of law breakers. As has been pointed out already many of the people who suffer abuse are members of the same or similar culture as the abusers. People who did migrate hoping to escape the oppressive conditions of their home country and culture. People who just want to live quiet, peaceful productive lives.

We can choose to support our law enforcement officers by rejecting the ranting of the extreme Left or we can be silient and let them have the soap box. There will be a price to be paidd.

Note: I was on a forum with a Romani. We had quite a discussion.

6. Nakia

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.