1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Robin Hood Encounter!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Blackthorne TA, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Holy crap! 15 enemies all higher level than the 5 in my party. It replaced the Hickory Branch bosses as the encounter with the most experience; it claims I got 378000 for it.

What was REALLY LAME :mad: is that Greater Invisibility did nothing to prevent them from attacking my mage! WTF?! :mad:

Oh and they were all Chaotic Neutral so the Holy damage from my frontliner's weapons was useless!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What pisses me off about fights like that is how did they get so powerful and then turn around and have minimal loot? I would have to pummel that DM in a heartbeat. :D

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well they all had some gold; most had masterwork weapons, and there were a few magic items on Robin and maybe Tuck and John.

Fairly certain that 378000 XP is way overinflated, though everyone in the party levelled. IIRC, the roll window showed just under 15000 per person, so 75000 is more like it I think.

4. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    The engine doesn't scale XP awards after level 10 like it should, but other than that the XP awards should be accurate. (Those enemies are not CR adjusted or anything.)

@Blades, there are inherently huge plausability issues with any D&D content going over level 10. e.g., who are they in the first place, why didn't they basically take over the world since they're quite a bit more powerful than even most higher-ups in the ToEE, etc., etc. And yet people want to play level content over 10, so it's not like we're going to say "you'll get nothing and like it!" just because it doesn't make any sense for two varying elements to coexist together.

That said, the effects can be mitigated somewhat, such as by limiting treasure. ToEE is already fat in the money department, so if in every encounter after level 10 we awarded appropriate loot, you'd end up having 200 longswords +5 in your inventory and a bunch of other uber crap and so much cash that you'd never want for anything again. When that happens, similarly to when there is no longer any sense of danger or challenge, people lose the impetus to play.

Also Greyhawk is supposed to be a low or middle magic realm, so it's never going to be like, say, Forgotten Realms.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, that's arguable. There is just more content created for the realms, so you encounter more powerful items. I think they went a bit overboard with all the Realmsian power groups. But if look at some of the top villians in the Greyhawk campaign, they have some mighty nice items in their inventory as well. A.K.A. Robilliard..... Vecna.....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.