1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rogue/Ranger - best class

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Gothmog4230, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Gothmog4230 Guest

Im planing a multiclass Rogue/Ranger and I
    would realy need some help at it. :help

which rase should i choose for dualwielding

Which weapon should I be using (dualwield)rapier/shortsword/dagger/?

With wich class should i start or if that even maters.

About abilities i was thinking having everything 14 exept int and cha

Feats-dont have a clue

2. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'd say that the best race would be an elf. They get +1 attack bonus with Longswords and Longbows, and +2 to Hide and Move Silently checks, amongst other abilities very useful for a ranger. They also get +2 to Dexterity, +2 to Listen and Spot Checks too.

For abilities, i'd say
    str14
    dex16
    con12
    int10
    wis13
    cha14

Feats: Elves don't have very good Fortitude saves, so go with the Greater Fortitude Feat.
    Also Alert Feat, for extra bonuses to Spot checks and Listen checks. This way you don't need to pick Spot and Listen for your abilities, because you will already have +4 for both.

hope that helps.

3. Gothmog4230 Guest

does your charisma even makes any diference

I was thinking i would dual wield rapier (main) and a short sword + weapon finese feat + sneak attack = killing machine

about wisdom - do i need to have it 13/14
    i heard there are some rings/amulets that increase wis for 4-5 points or is this just a waste of empty space

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Charisma is good if you want to use the Animal Empathy skill to charm/dominate animals, and I believe it's good in conversations and persuading.

Wisdom you need a 13 to cast 3rd level spells and 14 for 4th level spells, but a ring would do just fine if it exists. I have only seen Wis +1 items so far, but that's just chapter 1.

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Str 14
    Dex 15
    Con 12
    Wis 11
    Int 14
    Cha 12

For a ranger/rougue, I'd try to get that intelligence up to 14 to take advantage of all your skills available to both classes. Where to take those points from? I'd say take points from charisma and wisdom. You can up the wisdom at level three if you want, then just look for a ring. You'll have a ways to go till you can cast spells anyway. I'd also strongly consider taking rouge at level one to get the most advantage from your initial skill points.

An elf would be a very useful race if you plan to dual wield with swords(long, rapier, short) or be an archer (because of the automatic weapon focus with those weapons), but a human would also be good for a more flexible multi class (who knows, you might want some barbarian or fighter levels as well)as well as extra feats and skill points.

For dual wielding, I'd really suggest just dual wielding short swords. They do slighly less damage than long swords, and about the same as the rapier usually. But you get to use your dexterity for weapons in both hands without taking multiple weapon finess(someone read up on that for NWN, I know that's how it works in PnP at least), plus you get to apply weapon focus (weapon specialization if your take fighter classes too) to weapons in both hands without taking the feat multiple times(if you choose human and not elf). I've also dual wielded a bastard sword and a short sword in pnp, and that option works well pretty well for upping the damage you can do. You won't be able to use your good dex bonus though if you dual wield a larger sword like that or a katana.

Great fortitude would be a good feat, as well as mobility and dodge for the ranger/rouge who's trying to get in sneak attacks. The cleave/power attack chain would work well, as would any bow feats if you want to be an archer. Skill focus might even be a good idea if you run out of feats you like(always good to have an edge up on hiding and such).

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited July 01, 2002).]

6. Somnus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

actually I didn't know that elves got a bonus to swords, I thought it was just that they could use them without needing to buy the martial weapons feat. Also, don't spread your stats so thin. You don't have to mini/max, but keep in mind the skills important for your char and give those priority.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.