1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Romance in ToEE?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by chevalier, Apr 29, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    In that big FAQ, some dev said there were many romances in the game. Yet I've checked whole this forum section and there's not a single romance-related thread. So, are there actually any romance dialogues or not?

The brothel doesn't count :p

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yep, you can get married and stuff. But the NPCs suck, so I don't recommend it.

3. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Oh...please...DON'T try the romances. ToEE is anti-romantic, its love subplots are so badly designed.

One romance "plot" involves marrying a farmer's daughter. Trouble is, the girl sounds like...a girl. A little girl. A very young girl. The lines aren't half-bad by ToEE standards, but the voice they picked to read 'em sounds like a little kid. Let me tell you, I was so creeped out by the end of the romance that I had to restore to an earlier save. I half-expected the Child Protection Services to arrest me for electronic underage material.

There's also a Fallout-style loveless marriage to a homely Hommlet woman. There's even a homosexual relationship in Nulb with the pirate apprentice, or so I hear - the fella seemed quite content to date my female NPC.

Don't get me wrong, I love ToEE...I just hate ToEE's idea of love.

4. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yeah that damn pirate tried to pick up my male paladin!! Just to see what would happen i saved and 'hooked-up' with him, you would think that would make my paladin 'fallen' but it didn't. Apparently the dieties don't mind a bisexual paladin but you better not lie to that dude about his boss accepting his religious conversion!! ;)

5. chevalier

Media:
    So nothing of any consequence to the plot? No princesses, elven druids etc?

I guess I'll have to roll one for my pally myself :(

6. Greywulfken Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

And you can also "romance" Lodriss in Nulb, and walk with her by the docks (although it is all represented via dialogue and an area change - she never actually joins you, nor does anything become of it) - and what's weird is that Bertram is Tolub's boy-toy, but Lodriss is his girlfriend. Busy Tolub!

And with the Co8 patch, you can have "imaginary sex with a dominatrix, two girls, the madam herself, Riana, and a girl and an animal. A female PC can have imaginary sex with a lesbian, too. By imaginary, I mean it is indicated in dialogue, but there are no graphics or follow-through.

ToEE is no BG2 (ahh, how I miss Jaheira... and Aerie... and Viconia...)... :D

7. Crono1000 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I had a couple flings with zuggtmoy. Then she killed me.

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Grey Mag, you are totally right on with the "young girl" thing. Honestly, the voice actress is probably 24 or something. Like like the actress who does Mission in KotOR. But I'm sitting there listening to her voice (the first time I played through), and there is just something that seems fairly hazardous about her. They shouldn't have told the actress to "talk as young as possible".

Atari certainly has some strange marketing executives. I wouldn't put it past them to buy this company from RCA...

9. chevalier

Media:
    I suppose some of the romance characters in games look and/or sound so young because boys aged 14-15 are main audience. Anyway, if you can splash people's testicles all over the screen, not to mention casual stealing, lying and threatening, why shouldn't you be able to seduce half-grown girls. Still, feels sick.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.