1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Romances!?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Errol, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] With it being announced that ToEE will cater Romances for allsorts, inevitably up will come this Topic. So tell me, what kind of Romances would you like to see in ToEE?

I just hope they steer away from the limited Elf/Healer romances in BG:II, and start branching out to more diverse ones without the need for 3rd party mods.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If elves, then some hardcore warrior/mage with truly elven traits... Not just some human with angular eyes swiftly undergoing human cathogeries measuring.

A human for a change... Yes, plain human with not a drop of elven blood in her veins. Possibly a warrior woman, but pray no more Xenas.

As far as I am concerned, the most important thing is for it to be a romance between the PC and an NPC, not an NPC whose sole raison d'etre is the romance. And a perfect hottie of course. Brr... enough of that. Something deep, mature, elaborate, please. Or shallow, immature and blunt if made well.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Same as I posted at the Lionheart forum. I want 3 sort of each alignment and sex.

The weak type, where you are the dominating person (ie. Aerie in BG2).
    The medium type which is perhaps best pictured by Tashia (Viconia was a *****, even though a very interesting one.. and Jaheira was a tad bit wuss in it as well).
    And the strong type. The one that will make the worlds rock by actually coming and getting *your* arse out of the trouble, and helping you here and there, offering support when you cannot go on. This has thus far been missing from games.

Also, I'd appreciate if they would take in to account the fact that not always does the romantical interest have to be someone who is with you at all times as an NPC. Perhaps the special someone could be an ordinary girl off in some countryside house, or in an inn of some city. Someone you'd go and see every now and then, but someone you'd not take with you on those dangerous adventures.

Just implement the ideas used in some console RPG:s and combine them with the basic ideas of PC-RPGs. Sure, a good amount of scripting is required to make it all work. But hey, what doesn't when you're going for top-class performance?

4. chevalier

Media:
    The idea of an all-hailed RPG hero falling for a country girl that barely gets a name other than Townsperson doesn't sound realistic... Why the romance? Because she was an option... Why she and not her sister or the other one in the tavern.

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

This reasoning escapes me. Why not Nalia in BG2? Or Mazzy? Why not one of the male NPC:s other than Annoymen for female characters? You just can't put every character as an option.

Fallout 2 had a countrygirl/-man. Even though the romance sucked in every other aspect. And they *did* come with you in that game as well.

But if it doesn't seem realistic that an epic adventurer should fall for someone less able and worthy, then why not make this un-playable NPC (as in, someone who will not permanently join your group) one of a higher status. A countess, or a famous legendary warrior off somewhere. Princess or a prince? Some powerful wizard of some organization? Makes no difference in the end. Just to me it seems very much realistic that the protagonist might fall for someone who's not there 100% of the time.

6. chevalier

Media:
    Probably you are right to a certain extent, but again, if the protagonist has strong bounds with such a person, he or she must spend some time with the team. Well, unless that's a platonic feeling. From my own experience I tell you that's sick and I don't wish that to my enemies ;)

I however was planning a BG2 NPC typically aimed towards a paladin preferably soing to that moment and that NPC wouldn't be joinable for a long time. Only an event would trigger another trigger and that would mean the necessity for her to travel with the PC for shelter. The concept resembles crusader literature very much though and I think it'll have to wait for another game (still NWN doesn't go unless I'm going to make a huge mod with a whole campaign and that's 90% unlikely due to my lacking time pretty often).

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't mind diversity so long as it still includes what did it for me in BG2, a romance with an elven type lady (Jaheira).

On the other, I'll have to admit that girls who wanted to play BG2 definitely got the short end of the stick with the 'brag my a** off!' Anomen being the only choice. If some diversity is seen on that side of the coin, the developers will get my salute.

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

@Beren
    Yeah I hope they're taking that into account as well.

@Chevalier
    Well there you go! That potential BG2 NPC you talked about is precisely what I mean! It'd be fun to see something like that.

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] This is where we find out they intend PS:T style romances :hahaerr:

From what I've read it seems that you can make up to five of your own characters and then pick up a couple of NPCs. So maybe it will be NWN style.

Hopefully BG2 style because I think that's the best of them.

I think they should do a lot more races and provide for the girl gamers too :rolling:

10. chevalier

Media:
    Perhaps, but only perhaps. I would have to sit down and learn the usage of TeamBG tools and Weidu. And I have that Jaheira tiny mod on the list still.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] TeamBG and WeiDU are for IE games. G:ToEE isn't one of them. Someone somewhere will probably make tools to make mods though...

12. chevalier

Media:
    So if ToEE proves a good game the mod could be transferred as it is, only coded in some other system. Anyway, not likely. No time for long-term commitment...

13. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Half-orc female, I need something to laugh at now, being so close to exams.

14. chevalier

Media:
    Ah, you obviously go for looks only ;)

15. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Eew *vomits violently*

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Half-orc ... *shudder* ... but I guess that you don't have to have a low charisma & comliness beign a half-orc. This is "Fantasy" after all.

For me ... I know that I'll never have a three-some in real life, so why not one in a game??? (not for the paladins, I'd have to play a rogue ;) ) j/k :lol:

Seriously, I think BG:2 had a good start, if they just expand on that we'll be in good shape.

I don't see why any NPC isn't a candidate for romance. A Chaotic Good woman could have tried to sway Keldorn from his not-so-loving wife. Nalia was a little spoiled hottie who needed some love.

:love:

17. chevalier

Media:
    Well, half-orc is too much. I'm not a racist, but still. Not really. Half-goblin is my record in being open-minded that-wise. Anyway, elves rule. Human might be ;)

18. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Ogres only came in males, right? Right?

Oh not me. Perish the mere thought. A romance with a magically created female ogre with charisma and intelligence scores of 2 or less? ..the pain..

In all seriousness, though, it requires character to even suggest such a vulgar thing as a romance with a half-orc female.. not to mention a goblin. Did you see the goblins in LoTR? Argh..

19. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I don't think that they are really worth it. I mean, how much can you actually do...

20. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Why not half-orcs? They need friends too.

Anyway - if you think it's bad - try thinking where HALF-Orcs came from.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.