1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RPing Charname, what class to choose?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Caradhras, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    The Complete Paladin's Handbook lists several orders: Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart, Ancient and Revered Order of the Thorn, Distinguished Order of the Crystal Dawn, Righteous Order of the Iron Dragon, Order of the Divine Hand.
    Here is an excerpt:
    I have to agree with MrNexx on this one. ;)

[EDIT: the tithe could be conveniently replaced by charity and alms.]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

:doh: Forgot about the alms thing. It's definitely workable. I suppose I just have my own preconceptions of what a paladin should be like.

3. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Actually, if you are a Paladin, you do join an order, but only if you play bg2. Taking the stronghold in bg2 for Paladin is actually joining the Order of the Most Radiant Heart, and as such, the LGness of the Paladin is assured, at least, theoretically.

Now, concerning the Cleric. The presence of a temple to Oghma inside the walls does not matter, as the biography tells you you're some kinda cleric, and gives a name for it, which iirc, means you don't worship one specific deity, which apparently is the faith of most residents in Candlekeep.

@MrNexx
    My bad. I base my knowledge of Druids on the 3.5 rules, and as such, I might be mistaken. I assumed they didn't change it that much, but apparently they did.

I agree the classes are much more open than the races, and it's much easier to defend a class choice than it is to defend a non-human, non-halfelf, non-halfling based on the intro. With enough quirks, every class can somewhat be defendable.

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

@MeatDog:
    Which goes to show you another inconsistency between the CRPG game and the P&P game -- in P&P D&D, there are only 25 members of this order, and one of the requirements to join is that you've got to be at least 40 years old.

Unless you take a REALLY long time doing quests, the protagonist won't be that old.

5. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

If you want to throw back to AD&D 2nd Edition (the rules Baldur's Gate is based on), a Ranger doesn't choose his favored enemy until second level.

6. Caradhras

Media:
    lol looks like I've opened Pandora box! ;)
    It means that we could get away with playing a ranger then? Only we do have to pick the favored enemy at the very first level in the game (yes I know, I'm splitting hairs).

7. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

BTW, I love the idea of an old retired Ranger teaching the PC the ins and outs of becoming one.

I know this is a BG2 post on a BG1 forum, but I see no way that a Barbarian comes out of Candlekeep.

8. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Barbarian is similar to Fighter, just with a couple of extra abilities. Maybe the Watchers tried to teach him as a fighter but he was untrainable due to his Bhaal heritage or his attitude or whatever, and learned the weapon skills but not the discipline.

9. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, Barbarian is a bit of a stretch. It's not just a skillset... its a mindset and culture, too.

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Read the description of barbarian. It talks about being a savage or something along those lines...

11. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, Klorox, unless I'm mistaken, bg2 doesn't really specify the length of time that went on after bg1, so you could potentially be 40 years old :D Besides, wouldn't it more be like 40 years to become a full member? I can't think of that order not having acolytes next to those 25 members. Since I never played a paladin (I really hate those), I don't know to what level you rise in it.

12. Caradhras

Media:
    In fact it's 25 per chapter so this is not a problem, the age is however a serious objection, though there is another order which is associated to the Radiant Heart and gathers promising paladins.

13. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Actually, krunchyfrogg, Rangers can pick their favored enemy any time before 2nd level.

14. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Readers might be interested in this poll in the ToB thread on the most suitable CHARNAME for the BG saga.

After 58 votes, the consensus seems to be a male human of Chaotic Good, Neutral Good, or Chaotic Neutral alignment, who is (in order of preference) a fighter, mage, fighter/mage, or fighter/thief...

But then again, what does a poll prove?

15. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A few thing I believe that should actually be really important when deciding on a character class.

First you have to consider your background, child of Bhaal. Second your best friend is Imoen, a thief so chances are you did hide and move quietly quite often. So with this in mind there are only a few choices. Cleric/Thief, Figther/Thief, Fighter/Mage/Thief, Mage/Thief, Ranger, and Thief.

Now when looking at these you could choose any since they all contain the ability of stealth. Of that group I like the Ranger the best. Yeah he is in a Castle but it doesn't mean he can talk to the cows and chicken he sees or the birds, etc...

My other favorite option is a F/T for their pure thiefing abilities and the lower Thaco the fighter class provides. Of course you could start off as a Fighter and dual to a Thief if you are human.

There are so many options but my favorite is the Ranger, at least lately.

16. Caradhras

Media:
    I don't see the logic in the PC being a Thief because Imoen is one. :confused:

I've read interesting things about the representation of death in medieval times and especially the Danse Macabre (excuse my French ;) Dance of Death) Death has often been portrayed as a fool, a buffoon making fun of mortals. Now that would be a perfect role for a Bard (Jester).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.