1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Saved games revert to game start

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by ancientdm, Sep 25, 2010.

1. ancientdm Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] haven't been in this forum since 1970, just repurchased the baldurs gate and icewind dale bonus set packs. everything seems to run fine while in game but the minute I save and quit the game then come back and try to load my saved game it takes me back to the opening sequence. When I view my games to load it shows the correct save point. but then just starts me out in the tavern anyway. How can i get my last saved game to load. it happens on the icewind dale series. so far the original baldurs gate seems to work fine. Any help would be appreciated. :o

2. DominionSeraph Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

This is the IWD2 forums, not IWD.

And for future reference, when describing a tech problem, don't give your entire life story. And go from general to specific, not the other way around. I mean, you mentioned BG and IWD, then listed a savegame problem and asked how to fix "it", and only AFTER did you bother to mention that you're only talking about IWD, and that BG is working fine. You should describe a thing BEFORE you reference it as though anybody knows what you're talking about.

Watch this:

Hi guys! I'm having a problem with IWD. When I try to load a savegame, it takes me back to the opening sequence. The save thumbnail shows the right point, but it takes me back to the beginning anyway. I've tried reinstalling the game and repatching, to no avail. I'm patched to version X.XX, using no mods, and running on Windows 7. Any help would be appreciated!

See? This gives us a solid point from which to start. We don't have to spend a week chasing down your patch history and mod list and getting you to reinstall.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    How about you let the mods do the modding and you stick to either answering the question posed or ignoring it if the way it is phrased offends your inner sensibilities?

That was a pretty offensive post especially given that you didn't bother answering the question (sorry ancientdm, I don't have an answer for you either).

4. DominionSeraph Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I was dispensing advice on how to communicate, not enforcing any forum rules or in fact making any claims whatsoever regarding forum rules.

It was a moment to teach him that you cannot write as though everyone is you. When you write, the other person does not have access to what you're thinking about. You can't just jump right in, you have to tell the other person where you're coming from.

Watch:

Yum. This is good. Don't you agree?

I know what "this" refers to because I know what I was thinking about when I said it. That doesn't mean that you know.

With troubleshooting, there are a lot of these jumping off points as there are many avenues from which a fault can arise. The person with the fault indications right in front of them probably knows the status of a lot of these. The person on the other end has no clue whatsoever as to which are still open. If the person on the device end would see things from the other perspective, he would recognize this and be able to narrow or close a lot of them for him by giving him the relevant data.

Compare:

1. My car won't start.

2. My 2001 Camery V6 won't start. It cranks just fine, so the battery's good. I have plenty of gas, and I can hear the fuel pump turn on to pressurize the fuel system as normal when I turn the ignition on. Looked under the hood and nothing stands out. Haven't checked the spark yet -- was wondering if there was perhaps something more obvious I should check first?

5. ancientdm Gems: 1/31

thanks I think

First I apologize for being in the wrong forum...........I appreciate the detailed response even if it did sound a little like my grandmother scolding me for not taking off my dirty shoes before coming in. I also now remember why I havent been back here since 1970. I will attempt to get all my facts in the proper order and post in the correct forum...........or might just say the heck with it and try a web site that's a little more friendly to newbees. Again my apologies for ruffling any feathers with my lack of protocol. (BTW IWD2 seems to be working fine when using a premade party)

6. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh just ignore Dominion, he's being a prat :)

7. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

Okay, so what I inferred from your posts, Ancientdm, is that in both IWD and IWD2 when you save your game, you cannot load it properly, unless you use a premade party in IWD2. (Btw, Dominion, I didn't see him say anywhere he was specifically talking about IWD1, he said fairly clearly "it happens on the iwd series" -emphasis mine)

The first question I would ask you is,

Have you installed the official patches?

The patches for IWD1 can be found here on Sorcerers. Install patch v1.06 if you do not have HoW[Heart of Winter].
    Ignore the following two sentences if you do not have the expansion:
    Install patch v1.41 if you have HoW but do not want Trials of the Luremaster. However, simply installing Trials of the Luremaster will give you the final v1.42 patch.

The patches for IWD2 can be found here on Sorcerers. Install patch v2.01 always.

The patches add tons of stability, however, if that still doesn't work, you could give us information on your graphics card/operating system.

Hopefully patches solve your problem! I'll be around if you need more help.

8. ancientdm Gems: 1/31

Thank you.

Thank you Rahkir for your time and adding the location of the necessary patches. I uninstalled everything then re-installed and added all patches before starting and everything seems to be working fine now. Again thanks for taking the time to post information I could understand and easily get to.

9. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

Awesome. :D

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more problems/inquiries about the game.

I'm not an expert on IWD1/2 mechanics, but there are some people around here who are very knowledgeable.

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Definitely Sil.

@ancientdm: most posters over here are really nice not obnoxious/aggressive types.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.