1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SCS - Ulcaster Problems

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by occam, Apr 23, 2016.

1. occam Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I decided to give Sword Coast Stratagems a go (I'm also using Trilogy, so that's why I'm posting here). Everything were more or less well until I reached Ulcaster.

Then the problems began.
    First, Icharyd absolutely destroyed me about 20 times. He needs incredibly low rolls to hit me, hits hard as a mofo and when I manage to whittle him to Near Death, he goes back to full health (:( ) and starts pummeling me with Call Lightning spells (without forgetting to hit me every time he attacks).

I tried everything- even donning a Full Plate Mail on the Bhaalspawn (Icharyd is resistant to my spells anyway) as well as trying to drink my only Potions of Hill Giant Strenght and Heroism. Nothing.

I temporarily gave up and decided to at least clean the Ulcaster Ruins.

The Vampiric Wolf that used to live in the Ulcaster Ruins has transformed in the Wolf of Ulcaster.
    He is incredibly hard to hit, has a ****load of health (a wand of Frost discharge got him to "Barely Injured"). Furthermore, he is somehow a spellcaster, casting Horror, Greater Malison and Summoning Ghouls that can somehow Hold you (obviously, he can Hold you himself as well) and Summoning Monsters as well -some of them always go and chase Dynaheir :(

I tried several things as well (Potion of Heroism, Potion of Hill Giant Strength on the Bhaalspawn, try to cast Blindness as well to get a good discharge of Lightning Wand) but absolutely nothing works. Eventually, he manages to Hold 1 or 2 people before I get him past Badly Injured and starts to heal himself out of them.

Here's my party, by the way:

Bhaalspawn -Multiclassed Elven Fighter (4)/Mage (3) (Knave Robe, wields +2 and +1 longswords, Ring of Protection+1, Ring of Wizardry)
    Imoen -Thief (5) (Short Bow+1, Dagger+1, Studded Leather Armour)
    Jaheira -Fighter (4)/Druid (4) (Full Plate Mail, Quarterstaff+1 Gauntlets of Dex)
    Khalid -Fighter (5) (Longsword+1, Medium Shield+1, Ankheg Plate, Ring of Protection +1)
    Minsc Ranger (4) (Plate Armor, Two-Handed Sword +1, Composite Longbow)
    Dynaheir -Invoker (4) (Mage Robe of Fire Resistance, Sling +1)

The Bhaalspawn has Sleep, Blindness, Magic Missile, Identify, Prot. from Evil, and Remove Fear (the Vampiric Wolf has so many HPs Remove Fear disappears during the fight and he Horror's everyone) and Dynaheir has Magic Missile as her only combat spell.

I also have a Potion of Invisibilty, a Potion of Heroism, a Potion of Hill Giant Strength and a wand of Frost).

Sorry for the lengthy inventory description. My question is: are there some strategies I might be overlooking or do I need to purchase better stuff (I have about 5k) and/or level up considerably first?

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  3. occam Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Thanks. Looks like it's back to mining in Nashkel and Cloakwood for me... at least, as far as Icharyd is concerned. I have acquired three potions of Freedom, which would help against the wolf of Ulcaster, but I have 4 frontline characters, and I will have to use all of them.

I leveled up everyone by a level by killing winter wolves, but apparently you can only sell 1 (one) winter wolf pelt to the Nashkel Merchant. I was hoping to acquire the Robe of the Good Magi with the wolf pelts I had :(

Man, SCS is unforgiving.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.