1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shadows of Undrentide - Druid thoughts

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Jun 24, 2005.

1. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

For anyone that isn't a Rogue, or a Sorceror or Wizard with a rogue-like familiar, traps get annoying. It almost locks you into having Dorna as your companion.

My Fighter/Sorc/RDD had no real trouble with the Skeleton Blackguard; I just beat the hell out of him with the Desert Fury flail. Of course, Dorna got flatlined and I used a few healing potions...

I also noticed the lack of XP my F/S/RDD got; when I recently finished the game with him, he was level 12. That's after doing everything I could find in the game. I'm going to run him through parts of the OC again to get him up to level 15+ so he's fit to take on HotU (and for that obscene +4 Strength bonus that RDDs get at level 10).

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've got Deekin as my sidekick now so he's no good with traps even if you level him as a Thief because he only learns stealth.

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start summoning stuff to help as this game is just too hard otherwise. Even the Minotaur gets slammed eventually with his low AC. Bring on the trusty Dire Rat!

3. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Actually, the blackguard skeleton is doable in wyrmling with improved expertise. But I was high enough level, iirc, to have unlimited wyrmling shapes at that point. Thanks to barkskin/good equipment/improved expertise, the blackguard missed enough. And I just waited till he had knocked off enough hp, switched back to human, healed (potion/spell) and changed back, getting some bonus hp each time you shift.

Oh, one thing, unless you have a modded shifter, don't directly shift from shape to shape. Always pass through human, or you will lose your bonusses from your shifted equipment. And if you reload a savegame where you are in shifted form, you lose those bonusses too.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, I can't get Expertise so that discussion is moot. I'm now in the haunted valley place and trying to beat a giant ant who is caning my minotaur. The minotaur's AC is rubbish and Deekin always dies within the first few seconds.

5. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You really should be using your druid's animal companion. The bear is especially good. Buff him up with Bull's Strength and Greater Magic Fang.

"Stealing your XP" is just silly. You will end SoU at level 12 (or 13) no matter what. XP gain is relative to your current level. So kill a dragon at level 6 and get 750 xp. Kill a dragon at level 7 and get 500 xp. Do the math. Animal companion or no you will finish the campaign at very nearly the same amount of total XP.

Same could be said of HOTU. You can start that campaign with a level 12 character from SoU no problem. You will gain like 7000 xp from the first drow you kill and be level 15 in no time. And you'll finish the campaign at level 27. Take animal companions, henchmen, summons, etc. -- or take none and solo it if you're a masochist. Either way, you'll finish the campaign at level 27.

Again, a bear or dire wolf with Greater Magic Fang will make things much easier for you and little Deekin.

6. Krentaris Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I can also second the animal companion advice... I remember at level 20, if I used spells like empowered bull's strength, awaken, greater magic fang, etc. the bear would end up with a higher AB than a level 20 fighter, which is quite sickening if you buff it up with stoneskins and such forth.

At lower levels the same concept should apply, give it a bull's strength and greater magic fang, it will have a high AB and be a competent tank, despite its inherently low AC. Personally I never found any of the shifter forms useful until kobold commando - most of my planned epic dragons are majority level druid, though shifter makes much more RP sense - but if you're able to use them in ways I cannot, more power to you :)

Also about the XP thing. It's based on your average party level, and when the game was first released, I found that summoning dire badgers while I was at level 12+ helped exponentially in increasing the XP I gained. This can be viewed as a bug abuse, though, and as such would not openly recommend the practise :p

7. Harbourboy

The dire badger is cool! If the portrait had been a bit better, I would have chosen it as my avatar.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.