1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shogun Total War...

Discussion in 'Total War Series' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I've heard alot about the Total war series, and I was wondering if Shogun TW is as good as I've heard?

Also is this game just a battle simulator, or does it have an economic side to it. Looking after Cities, towns ect.

Also I would want the Shogun game instead of Medievil because I really like my oriental history, or whatever you want to call it.

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I've seen a little of Rome: Total War on the History Channel, and I am really looking forward to it! I love large scale battles!! Especially from ancient times!!

**Actually, I just looked at all three of these games, and they all look pretty cool! The only oriental war game I've played was Romance of the Three Kingdoms set in China on my old Genesis console. It was an awesome game though!!! I may have to pick up all three of these! **

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I have Medieval: Total War and it's brilliant, no other word can describe it. I WILL purchase Rome: Total War when I am able and I'm scrounging the bargain bins for Shogun.

However I do wonder how Rome: Total War will compare to Medieval or Shogun simply because there weren't exactly that many types of troop avaliable to the Roman empire whereas in Medieval there are so many troops that replayability is incredible. But I'm sure it'll be a great game anyway.

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I've played Shogun, and I quite liked it, it contains an economic side, but that is little more than building buildings and farms for more koku.

5. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I would say, get Medieval TW and miss shogun as its sequel is really just a much superior version set ina different time frame.

Wait for Rome with a heavy dose of Medieval practice is what I'm trying to say :p

6. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I just want to add that there is a mod called "Hellenic Total War" , which takes the action to the ancient Greece and ofcourse it uses units of this era. Unfortunately I haven't played it, because it requires the viking expansion and I don't have it.

7. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Abomination, there where loads of different troops during the roman era. the where the legions, the Italic troops, there where the Praetorian guard and so on. and that is just some of the roman troops. they had specific engineer troops and so on. plus if they bring in the different barbarian troops, Greek troops, Asian troops and African troops. there should be many different troops to build.

and damn do I look forward to Rome : Total war

8. Malovae Gems: 18/31

Cool, BOC you may have just taken several days of my life away. I hope your proud!

9. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Just a note, Rome Total war was the program used the amazingly annoying TV programme Time Commanders, so thats an example of what you have to look forward to!

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I liked that show. I'm really going to have to buy that now.

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Rome: Total War, should have the famed Numidian Cavalry!!! Hannibal's elephants, and some of the bloodthristy Celts!!! WhooHoo!

12. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

I hope they also includes Numidian spear men and lots of oriental soldiers, like Kathafrakts (sp), horse archers and so on. And Gauls, I want evil evil Gauls, that howls and are very bloodthirsty ;) ...uuh and Spanish marauders, lots of them. Also if they take Rome's historie from it's beginning and up to about the year 1000 where Medieval: total war begins, the should include several types of ligioners, because the roman legion changed a lot during that time.

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I never played Medieval, but Shogun TW is the only game till now to have kept me awake all night long. The Japanese aspect of things is really great, and IMO makes the game very immersive.

@Belisarius
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms rules! Too bad half the series never got translated :(

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

wasn't hannibal a carthaginian? being hannibal of carthage and all that. unless numidians = carthaginians?

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Numidians were from just west of Carthage and were at war with, conquered by, or in alliance with the Carthaginians depending on what time period you choose.

16. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

No, Numidians were not Carthaginians. Numidia was a northern african kingdom in the place where Algeria is today. They were allies of the carthaginians but later they sided with Rome.

17. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

I've played both Shogun and Medeival: TW and I absolutely loved both of them. I even developed a seething hatred for one other faction in each game. In Shogun TW, Lord Hojo broke his alliance with me, and so he became my primary target in that game and every one following it. In M:TW, the hatred is no smaller, but it's not very practical wasting time and resources early on to crush the Papacy :p

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Oh hells yes. Every damn time I would concentrate on taking out the Papacy. Damnable pope demanding crusades against me if I'm not catholic or excommunicating me because I retaliated against the French.

19. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Here you go guys, the Rome Total War demo.

http://www.clubic.fr/t/jeux/demo/829.html

The site is French, but no worries, the demo is English. It's a historical battle where you control Hannibal's armies against the Romans. Elephants kick ass. :D

20. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Ok so I've bought this game, but know I need to know what resolution to run it in to make it work. :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.