1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Simply amazing

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Jhonka, Mar 8, 2005.

1. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My vote would go to Baldurs Gate 1 as the most replayable, since you have pretty much free-run of the entire worldmap from first moment. Also the BG2 story always anoyed me that once you go to spellhold your stuck for a long long long walk before back in the realtive freedom of atkhala.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Let's stick to the topic of Planescape: Torment, please.

3. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

PS:T is a great game, but there are few things I didn't like, or that could be done better.

First, real "planescaping", i.e. travelling through many different worlds, and I mean WORLDS, not one map...actually one hears a lot about many different portals, but only few of them are actually used by party...count only that leading to other dimensions...

Second - majority of this game takes place in Sigil, real city-adventure. I didn't like that in BG2, same occurs for PS. More freedom of movement please...

Third - too linear, and <sigh> too short...

But with that said, this game is really one of the best...

4. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Well, for it's time I think the scope of the game was phenomenal. What we really need now is for someone to make a Planescape game that takes advantage of today's greater storage capacity and computer capabilities. Something truly vast and amazing could be created, but unfortunately the setting doesnt appear to have been a widely popular one, despite the dedication of its fanbase. :(

Moreover, the game wasn't even completed, was it? I know there was a lot of stuff that they left out. Is the mod that tried to add some of the omissions back in any good?

5. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Actually teh planescape setting is quite popular, but once again like the game it took some time to grow on people. There are groups out there dedicated to remaking the setting for the later D&D 3rd edition and such. So its certanly not dead, even if halfway burried.

Well the game was completed as such, i think most of the things they "left out" was becose they wherent happy with the quality/consisty with the rest of the game or some such. Personally i like it when some rooms ahve no "purpose", it makes the game more interesting.

I am so tempted to play this game again, but i have palyed it to often, i automatically start to powerplay :( it ruins the game for me. I need to make weaker characters.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Best game ever :)

knocked BG, BG2 and KotOR out in the first round :D

7. Lawless Gems: 6/31

Ive been looking for this in all the shops nearby and i cant find it :( :(

Guess'll need to order it or something. It looks so good and from what you all seem to think it must be.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

yeah, i had to order mine from amazon.us as well. Amazon itself has no more copies but they link you with lots of buyers that do. I think I paid around $5 for mine including shipping. It came with a free copy of Soulbringer, crappy game hehe.

9. Burrie Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I originally wanted to buy the Fallout Trilogy package in order to get Fallout. Unfortunately, where I went to buy it, they didn't have it in stock anymore. However, they were kind enough to point me to a little collection that had Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. I thought that I'd only play Fallout 2, and I didn't care all that much about the rest. I already had Baldur's Gate, and Planescape: Torment... well, never heard much about it.

In the end, Planescape: Torment has really taken up a whole lot more than I would've ever anticipated, it has got to be one of the luckiest purchases I ever made(the other one being NWN for different reasons). The game's just bloody incredible, the characters are bloody real, and frankly, I really would count the story as one of the best stories I've ever seen in any sort of media.

Heck, a story that could explain away all the questions that I had with an extremely simple sentence that consists of four words is just... wow. And that at the very ending, right before the (optional) final fight, one plot twist that had all the pieces falling into the right place. I still can't believe how they did that.

I'm still trying to see if I can print that one fan-created novel that uses most of the dialogue straight from the game into a neat paperback. It'll certainly be something to read on the train.

My apologies if it's a bit of an odd rant, but I just had to post this before heading t'bed.

10. Atari Man Gems: 6/31

I made it through 3/4 of the game and had to give it a break. The whole thing is just so amazingly emotional. Too much to handle even though I was playing it in spread out sittings. I guess a week should be enough then I'll be back for more. The most amazing thing to be called an RPG game.

A little of topic but this was the first thread I ever posted on in sp. And well worth my first post! :)

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I had started PS:T three times in three different years, and it wasn't until this one that I got "properly" hooked and finished it (midterms be darned).
    Great game, simple as that. I may get a virtual lynching here, but I still prefer BG II - but PS:T came pretty darn close and was even better at times. BG grew on me with time and I just can't leave it be. PS:T was something different... 110% amazing, from start to finish. Especially the finish. It kinda sets the scene for a good sequel... Shame we're not likely to see one.
    Guys, we need to track down the people who have been doing the plot and NPC's. There's something wrong with them, they are way too good to be humans.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.