1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So who didn't take Imoen?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sylvus Moonbow, Dec 4, 2000.

1. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Last thing.

Imoen is using GesenKhan Bow. Can Valygar use bows?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmmm... Isn't Nalia worse that Imoen? I don't know for sure since I never picked her up, but I've heard her thieving skills are pretty weak. I'd drop Nalia before Imoen I think...

Valygar is great IMO, I had him almost from the beginning and kept him to the end.

Valygar is a Stalker and can in theory use any bows; he's got 17 strength, so without an upgrade there, there are some longbows he can't use.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited December 04, 2000).]

3. Wassup Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] Yeah, maybe your right about Nalia Thieving skills, but now, she is my main mage. She had learned ton's of goods spells. That why i'm not sure...

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I've lived without a thief since Nalia was taken away from me and once I got her back, I had adapted so much without her, that I told her to stay in the Government District.

In fact, I haven't come across any need for a thief since I did the Slavers Quest in the sewers of the Copper Cornet. I picked up Yoshimo quickly for that to disarm an annoying poison dart trap, but since then I've managed fine.

Now in Spellhold deep within the Asylum, my need for one still has not been called upon. Anytime a chest is locked, Knock does the trick. Anytime I need to stealth, the Ring of Invisibility does the trick. Anytime I think there might be traps, Find Traps does the trick. Anytime I need those traps disarmed, Grub does the trick by setting them off and taking the blow.

I'd take Valygar over Imoen anyday, but then. I'm a supposed power gamer...

Syl...

[This message has been edited by Sylvus Moonbow (edited December 04, 2000).]

5. Wassup Gems: 9/31

But anyway, Nalia still have some thieving skills. Not the best, but not the worst. And the only thing I use Imone, is for using a bow. I dont use very often her magic skills: she always have an armor, so she cannot cast a damn thing. And for her thiving skills... Nalia is not worst.

So I think I will do this.

But is Valygar can use bows?? I have the Gesen Khan bow (now being used by Imoen).

thanks

6. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Yes, Valygar can use bows.

Syl...

7. Wassup Gems: 9/31

Good!

So I will prepare Imoen for her return to civil life.

Ciao Imoen! Go find a man and make a family!
    Buy yourself a rocking chair, get fat and have a nice time.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes, Nalia is defintely a worse theif than Imoen. (Though not by much).
    And with some decent items like gloves of pickpocketing and such you can get them both to somewhat normal level.
    I currently have Nalia in my party but solely as a thief with a shortbow, practically never using her mage skills. So once I get to Imoen, I'll simply dump Nalia and let Imoen join.
    Best solution I can think of.

9. JohnnyV Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

So except for Yoshimo who is the best thief in the game. I do not want to disable traps by setting them off. Or more to the point is imoen okay at disarming traps. I just got her back and plan to keep her.

10. Mobeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Syl, picture this:
    <Image of Grub: sitting in a tavern; alone; shoulders hunched over; hands cupped around a mug; solitary tear, trickling down his cheek; an occasional *sigh* escapes his mighty frame>

All because none of his 'friends' will play with him anymore, since he left his SISTER out in the cold of Jon's prison! And after she had risked her a$$ to free him from his cage and break free from the dungeon in the first place!

THAT's why some of us say we're "sorry, Syl..." We couldn't stand it if you (or Grub) took it TOO hard!! <grin> We'd end up sitting right there, next to Grub!!

:) :D

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All right, all right... Imoen is only the protagonists HALF sister, and having the blood of the god of murder in common doesn't make for a strong sibling bond. Just look at what all of you did to your BROTHER Sarevok. I simply can't take the sibling arguments seriously.

Now as to leaving a friend out in the cold, that's a different story, and one that's easy to refute. He didn't leave her out in the cold; he returned the favor of his rescue with hers.

He admitted it was difficult to watch her go, but after all he had been through without her, he felt it was time to continue the adventure without her.

It's not like he spitted her on the end of his blade (or I guess more like crushed her skull with his flail :) ) which is what he felt like doing for getting into this mess in the first place! :)

12. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It depends. Her thieving skills are worse, but in my game, Imoen never reached Nalia's level as mage. Nalia is in fact, the second best mage in the game after Edwin (which isn't saying much...). If you leave some quests for after you come back from the Underdark, perhaps Imoen will even reach the XP cap, I don't know :rolleyes:.

13. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

:)

I vote Blackthorne TA for new moderator!

Hehe.

Syl...

14. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

With the Ring of Danger Sense and the Ring of Lockpicking (or even without, I don't know), Imoen should have no problems being a thief.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Heh... I'll watch your back Syl :)

16. Mobeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] And here I was trying to be SO considerate and compasionate! (Didn't you think the tear was a nice touch?...LOL <g> )
    :D
    Point taken. Enough is enough.
    No offense intended. Certainly none taken.
    Time to move on. Issue closed. ;)
    <Although.....hmmm...it's good that the issue is closed, or someone might have been compelled to point out that the circumstances are not quite the same. If memory serves... Sarevok was not known to be our blood relative; and he attacked us without provocation or warning. And someone might also point out that it takes more than blood to make true sibling bonds–it takes upbringing, perhaps even more so than blood. Gorion was our father in all but blood, and raised us together–as siblings. Yes, it is good that the issue is closed...so that such potentially unsettling things can be dismissed without any further concern.> :)
    Once again, apologies to any and all who may have taken any comments to be out of line or inappropriate. Such was/is never the intent. My current party is basically of Good alignment (even Viconia is working out quite well–so far). Their code is fairly simple: We all go in...We all come out. No one is left behind. (That is not to say party members are not changed between quests or at appropriate settlements, but they all understand that as it is part of the standard ‘Adventurers Agreement' we mutually agree to when they come on board.)

<Oh, crap. Time to get off the soapbox...I'm starting to sound like a Paladin! *chuckle*>
    :) :D

[This message has been edited by Mobeus (edited December 05, 2000).]

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] You knew Sarevok was your brother before you killed him.

You didn't know Imoen was your sister while you grew up together; she was simply a childhood friend or aquaintance.

I didn't get the impression from BG1 that we were raised together as siblings, or that Gorion was as much my father as I was simply his charge and he looked out for me; but perhaps others have different impressions.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here since nobody else would :) I of course took Imoen with me because I wouldn't have missed out on the whole Yoshimo drama in Spellhold for anything! :)

18. Kyrn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have Imoen with me but I don't think ANY NPC is either Usefull or Useless gamewise or plotwise. I am quite sure you can clock the game with Mazzy, Cernd, Haer'Dalis, Nalia and Anomen in the same way you can clock it on your own quite easily (I have seen Jesters, Kensai/Mage, Sorcerers and Paladin done).
    A thief in a party is as usefull as a Mage and as usefull as a Druid and as usefull as a Fighter as a Bard, as a Ranger....
    So with or without Imoen makes no difference.
    Noone can claim to have the "prefect" party.

Plotwise you have the possibility to:
    1) Save Imoen
    2) Kick Irenicus' butt
    3) Just plain adventure
    If you save Imoen, you can:
    a) Stay with her
    b) Tell her to have a pint at the Copper C.

RolePlaying doesn't force you to keep her.

The sole issue I have with this game is the fact that to leave the dungeon I have to kick everybody's ass whereas you can dump her (or anyone else) and they leave the dungeon easily and end up sipping a keg at the pub. Same for Spellhold, same for underdark. There are some serious loops in the plots there. For this reason alone I refuse to dump any of my characters in a place where I know they can't leave easily (Planar Sphere, Planar Prison, Irenicus Dungeon, Sahuaguin City, Spellhold, Underdark...) Unfortunately Yoshimo, Imoen, Jaheira and Minsc are "forced" upon you in the dungeon and Imoen is forced upon you at Spellhold which is daft.

My deux centimes,

Kyrn

Kyrn.

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I think you have t take Imoen back in your party; she´s familiy and after loosing Yoshi, she comes in handy if you dont have a thief.I played a thief so I didn´t need him, but I needed the extra wizard.
    I didn´t had Yoshi in my party so Saemon Havarian had to poison me instead. Later, when I entered the copper coronet, where I left Yoshi I read the short combat report: "Yoshi dies" and I could collect the Items I left with him (damn´ lost fight.....)

Playing the second time Yoshi betrayed me.

I´m still pissed up about that. So now, the third time I´ll be prepared: I´ll save every curse I´ll find in the game and make Yoshi use all scrolls and items right before I enter the asylum.He´ll find it difficult to fight me then, huag huag huag
    After that I will take Imoen back into my party to get back my soul and to kill those filthy bastards ...

20. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Wow, I now have heard all that I can about those who have 'no honor or loyalty' towards Imoen. Syl, I can't say enough about it except that "it is a game". However our approach to games in small ways reflect our personalities and what we identify with.

Imoen is a solid NPC in this game and role-playing is always an issue in AD&D based games. If your EVIL Character gives Imoen the boot - I don't know how anyone can have a problem with that. Including me. If your GOOD Character gives Imoen the boot... problem. The lame (yep) comparison of Imoen with Sarevok is inexcusable. In BG1 Sarevok in cold-blood killed your known father at the time (Gorion) and later framed you for mass murder and oh yeah, had a contract out for your 'head on a stick' from the start of the game. For Blackthorne even to bring that up is... well... well I cant find words right now to discuss *it*!! I mentioned Star Wars before but again, Luke never knew Leia was his sister for *quite* some time... but he still was honor bound to do was what right from day one.

I only wish the designers would've eliminated the option "Go wait in the CC and I'll come get you if I need you"... nonsense. Then we'd see the 'measure' and the 'caliber' behind the board names here at Sorcerer's Place.

Then again, it's just a game and it's yours to play as you see fit. :) :( "So go do, that voodoo, that you do, sooooo well"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.