1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So who didn't take Imoen?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sylvus Moonbow, Dec 4, 2000.

1. Wingfoot Guest

just wanted to point out that Imoen does have Magic Missle in her spell book at the begining. you must be thinking of Nalia because she doesn't. cant imagine the designers would have Imoen cast a spell she doesn't know.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Friends? Well, I wouldn't go that far... I mean I hardly know any of you...

To be honest, you are all beneath my notice...

In fact, you are all merely insects whose sole purpose is to be crushed under my bootheel on my way to supreme power and world domination!

KNEEL TO YOUR LORD AND MASTER: BLACKTHORNE THE ABOMINABLE! AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

<Looks around at the aghast stares>
    <Looks up at the ceiling, hands in pockets>
    <Casually strolls to the exit, whistling with an air of nonchalance>

3. Mobeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

** frrrpptt **
    ** pooompft **
    ** foooommmm fooommmm foooommmm **

< whistling cuts off as struck with silence >

< surprised look fades as polymorphed into squirrel >

< despicable tyrant decimated by barage of magic missiles >

< poetic justice prevails >

:) :D

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Heh, heh! Well done! ;)

5. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Thankfully Sorcerer is tired of reading this threat and won't notice that no one is talking about Imoen anymore ;)

Syl...

6. Mobeus Gems: 5/31

Imoen?? Imoen??
    Oh, yeah...that scrawny little wench who's always tagging along causing trouble.. ;)

<Rats! Never saw a topic stretch to 3 pages before...maybe next time..>
    :D

7. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31

Wanna restart the topic? You can flame me for this one...

You're all talking about Role Playing your character right? right.

Then you say, Grub DID grow up in Candlekeep no matter what he says.... WRONG... What Syl is doing IS Role-Playing. What the rest of you are doing is called "following the storyline" I think it makes him a great role-player in that he took a new character and made it a *gasp* NEW character. He's role-playing that he never came from Candlekeep and that he just happens to be another unfortunate who also happens to be a child of Bhaal. Imoen and the rest keep confusing him with someone they seem to remember.... poor Grub has no idea what they're talking about :D

Keldor Mithrilhammer

8. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Wingfoot - Yes I know Imoen has Magic Missile in her spellbook, but when I finally got out of Irenicus' Dungeon, she did not have it memorized or had a scroll on her yet she still casted it.

A slight flaw in my books, but nothing to really worry about since I was only asking who took Imoen when they rescued her.

As for Mithrillhammer, he got it right on the nail! ;)

Syl...

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Good for you Mithrilhammer! I was wondering if somebody would bring that up; it wasn't central to my arguments, so I didn't bother... I was beginning to think that nobody would; I was hoping Syl would eventually mention it, but he didn't seem interested...

And welcome to the minority club! ;)

10. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

I thought I made it pretty obvious when I said "Grub never met Imoen in Candlekeep, my Paladin did". "Grub has no fond memories of Imoen in the Hills of Zarchancheroustiv-tac-tac-rodmenkur-tao-vu where he was born and lived with Orcs. Grub has no sense of family when he looks at Imoen. She was never there."

If I have to spell out R-O-L-E-P-L-A-Y-I-N-G to everyone for my reasons of not taking Imoen, along with the others I mentioned as well, then my good cyber chaps, this thread is going to hit 100 posts since it's obvious no one can see my point of view.

This is an RPG right? So sorry for treating it as such. I'll go right back and re-load my saved game and take Imoen based on all the posts here saying I have to "because she's family!" To me, in an RPG sense, she isn't because my character Grub never lived in Candlekeep. Lance did, my Paladin from BG1 who is not with us today to enjoy BG2 I'm afraid.

Oh and this was the 69th post, made by me. Lick it and weep ;)

Syl...

[This message has been edited by Sylvus Moonbow (edited December 08, 2000).]

11. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31

Thank you Blackthorne, glad to be part of the minority ;)

And Syl, I'm sorry to hear about Lance, I'm sure he was a wonderful Paladin. Let's take a moment of silence shall we........... :D

12. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Draco Vlasavius said:

>Wow, I now have heard all that I can about those who have 'no honor or loyalty' towards Imoen. Syl, I can't say enough about it except that "it is a game". However our approach to games in small ways reflect our personalities and what we identify with.
    Imoen is a solid NPC in this game and role-playing is always an issue in AD&D based games. If your EVIL Character gives Imoen the boot - I don't know how anyone can have a problem with that. Including me. If your GOOD Character gives Imoen the boot... problem. The lame (yep) comparison of Imoen with Sarevok is inexcusable. In BG1 Sarevok in cold-blood killed your known father at the time (Gorion) and later framed you for mass murder and oh yeah, had a contract out for your 'head on a stick' from the start of the game. For Blackthorne even to bring that up is... well... well I cant find words right now to discuss *it*!! I mentioned Star Wars before but again, Luke never knew Leia was his sister for *quite* some time... but he still was honor bound to do was what right from day one.

>I only wish the designers would've eliminated the option "Go wait in the CC and I'll come get you if I need you"... nonsense. Then we'd see the 'measure' and the 'caliber' behind the board names here at >Sorcerer's Place.

>Then again, it's just a game and it's yours to play as you see fit. "So go do, that voodoo, that you do, sooooo well"

-----
    Saverok never killed Grubs father nor did I use that as an example. I think it was another fine cyber chap on this fine cyber message board.

Saverok killed Lance's father and it was Lance who helped Imoen as she helped Lance in BG1.

Grub on the other hand just happens to be another child of Bhaal and in no way did he help or get help from Imoen in BG1 because he wasn't there. He was in the Hills of Zarchancheroustiv-tac-tac-rodmenkur-tao-vu where he was born and lived with Orcs.

If Imoen was family and was there in those Hills with Grub and they grew up together, fine I'm sure Imoen would have made an excellent person to have in the party. Since that is not the case in an RPG sense, then there is no harm done in telling her to leave.

I repaid her debt and honored it. She saved Grub from Irenicus' Dungeon and I saved her from Spellhold. We are even and that is that. Grub owes her nothing and she may do as she wishes.

Others think different, but that's fine too if they want to be lead around by the story. I for one, will not.

Syl...

[This message has been edited by Sylvus Moonbow (edited December 08, 2000).]

13. Orgrim Doomhammer Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Helms see all..Know that and be judged. We all know what that Sylvus is an evil half orc who thinks he has deeds like Drizzt's.

If Drizzt's was in his shoes, he would never do what Grub did.

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] From the sheer roleplaying point of view...I'm fine with it. I imported my paladin from BG1, so Imoen is dear to me...When I get her out of spellhold, she will be in the party. End o' story.

Syl's Orc doesn't know her from Adam, other than the fact she helped him out in Irenicus' dungeon - I agree with him. The debt is paid...She can kick back and have a few cold ones in the Coronet.

As far as the Magic Missle issue...Chalk it up to Wild Magic...That originated in the Realms right? How about that? ;)

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Saying Grub is trying to be like Drizzt?!

No! Wait! He said Sylvus HIMSELF is trying to be like Drizzt!

Oooo! The most dire of insults for our Wizard Sylvus Moonbow!

Look out everyone! :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited December 08, 2000).]

16. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

i uhh didnt take Imoen last time... I just wanted to be post 75... no real other reason for posting..

17. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Ahhh, now I geddit (light goes on above head, but dimly) Grub was in Baldur's Gate visiting his auntie Slug when Irenicus's goons mistook him for Lance and kidnapped him, along with Minsc & Imoen etc. Fine.
    Bugger, that means I'll have to drop out of the thread and we're still 25 off the century.

18. Mobeus Gems: 5/31

<Oboy, Fresh Meat!>

I certainly agree with total role-playing vs the story line. But (correct me if I'm wrong--I know you will!) but isn't Bioware acting sort of as a DM for this 'adventure'? And as DM they have repeatedly spelled out that the main character (you, whether you started with BG1, or started new with BG2) did, in fact grow up in CandleKeep along with Imoen. In a typical D&D setting, how much can you deviate from the DM's parameters? (I really don't know--I missed most of the early PnP D&D stuff as it was after my time <g> ) :)

Separate observation: As a charter member of "Adventurers R Us", if we (my group) took on the assignment of rescuing anyone (aside from the personal vengeance/family issues) it just does not seem that that task is complete with unlocking the cage. The rescue is not complete until we get the subject back to safety. My opinion/philosophy, of course. ;)
    :D

19. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ughhhh

Bhaal did it with an orc.

BTW. i am going to be pissed if Magic Missiles isnt an innate ability to Imoen when she comes back.

And Syl is right,

Phyco Bob (Fighter) grew up with Imoen in candlekeep or whatever and just wondered off after BG

Phyco Bob (Monk) got kidnapped by Jon Irenicus, Imoen just came along and saved him, its a complete coincidence that there both Bhaals kids (he must get around a bit, my bio says that Phyco Bob is from Kara-Tur)

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    OK! Correct me if I'M wrong, but the DM in no way controls the way in which PCs play out their role; the DM presents the world and controls every aspect BUT the PCs.

Once the cage was unlocked, the subject was perfectly capable of returning to safety on her own, and said so... Rescue complete! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.