1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So who didn't take Imoen?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sylvus Moonbow, Dec 4, 2000.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm leaning toward Blackthorne's point of view...Now for a little philosphy to get us to the century mark maybe...

For gaming's sake...Maybe all the Bhaalspawn are just "drawn" toward each other, kinda like the immortals in Highlander. They're all woven into the same fabric...So Imoen sensed that when your character (not a BG1 character) is saved by Imoen...She was just drawn to you in some mystical way...

It must be Friday...

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    *MOAN*

This topic is like something out of the Twilight Zone.
    It twists and turns, meanders all around, goes up and down but in the end it winds up on exactly the same place we were, hmm what? 80 posts ago?

Geez, I wonder how long it's gonna take before it's capped by UBB. :p

3. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] You think this is a long thread? Nah, I've seen threads with several hundred posts on other UBB boards.

Blah! Next time through I'm roleplaying a pacifist. My character will not kill anyone from start to finish. And as for that whole Bhaalspawn thing, feh, I'll just refuse to believe in it. I just want to get back to dear mama in Waterdeep.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well we aren't used to such long ones here anyway...
    Usually we get to the point much quicker, unless such a debate rises as here :p

5. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Follow this link, these are the other UBB boards I go to, this thread got over 1100 posts.
    http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum1/HTML/009706.html

Now, these forums get a lot of traffic, if you click on a thread, reply and go back to the main forum page, there will be a few new topics/updated topics.

I belive this thread must have a record number of replys.

6. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

That post is just useless one-two liners of garbage. What a waste of server space.

Syl...

7. Sorl Guest

A: Imoens magic missiles. Couldn't Irenicus have ordered a hidden Klingon war vessle to fire that shot framing Imoen and knowing it wouldn't hurtt him? Has anybody had a tricorder running measuring the neutronium emissions??

B: Syl, for somebody who holds such strong reservations against misusing low monster AI in combination with certain area spells (I don't even want to name them here),
    you are very liberal about using BG2s very free character/alignment choice feature to its very extend. A human DM would have made it very clear to you what your part in the story is and fixed up your/Grubs personal history to fit in. The starting dialogs of BG2 do make clear, you had joint past advertures together with Imoen.

8. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

As a DM, which is all I've been in AD&D after playing a character once or twice in my starting days, I will say this.

Any good DM would never force anything upon his players or the table to fit his own story or ideas. What a DM is there for is to moderate and create a story to weave to what the character does and desires.

A DM who forces you to do something just to follow a story he spent hours on end creating is B***shit. A DM is there to feed minor information to the table and those taking part and it is those reactions those players choose and decide on that the DM then acts on to create the major information. Not the other way around.

A DM creates the tales based on the characters actions.

BG2 creates a major tale and expects you to want to follow it without any character actions.

A DM should never, EVER do that! It's a big no-no to force something on a player like this. Perhaps if the player had
    in his own bio before the campaign began "Torin grew up with his family but not many memories remain of where they lived
    or who his family really was." In the future, the DM can work this around as he so wishes and introduce a family
    member, but never before he gets that players character history.

A DM lets the player create their own history, submit it and the DM works future plots, ideas and problems for that
    character down the road during the campaign, not the other way around like it's done in BG2.

Why am I, as a player, forced to take Imoen just "because she's my sister?". That's not very well done in my mind. I never
    typed my bio out saying she was my sister, she's just someone who saved me. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The campaign I've been doing for the past 2 years, all I did was get an idea of who my player characters were, what
    they wanted in a campaign, threw them in a tavern and had a bunch of people start casting and attacking the tavern room
    when a burnt man came through the doors, fell and a red gem rolled out of his hand.

That's my campaign. Where is it going? Beats me. What is going to happen in the end? Beats me. What is the gem for?
    Hell if I knew when I started the campaign although as it went on, the things my players did and said created what it was
    for. My point should be clear enough and that it is the gamer who should be left
    to make the choices he so wishes, do the things he so wishes and not have a gun barrel pointed at his head forcing him
    to follow a story he may or may not be interested in. As for my players, they make the choices of where to go. They decide
    what to do and it is I, the DM, who weaves the tale around them and make things happen. As their adventures grow and
    things happen based on their actions, I work that into a story, into a campaign and make a reason for the everyone going
    after the red gem all fueled on their own imaginations, wishes and desires.

This story is forced on you, which it should never be and is by far, forcing something down my throat that I, as a player, have no wish to bother with (ala Imoen). I've done my deed to the girl and will create my own story. Imoen is not my
    sister. Imoen will never be my sister and never has been my sister. I was never in Candlekeep, I never will be in
    Candlekeep and the only thing on Grubs mind is killing Irenicus, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm done with this thread.

Syl...

9. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Syl is right of course, to a point. But you can't expect what you can have in p&p D&D in from a computer game. If you wanted the same kind of freedom you'd need a game engine that would be capable of making up alternate paths for just about every single action you make in the game. Something we might see in our lifetime, but definitely not for a loooong time. NWN might get close, but it's heart will still be a live DM on most servers...

CRPG story has to be made in advance and there's no way we can change that. The best the designers can do is to offer you 2 or three marginally different paths through the game (good, evil, neutral), and even that takes an enormous time to do.
    And if they didn't force some parts of the plot on you, you could easily slide through the game missing 3/4 of what was placed there. You'd be done with the game in 10 hours and imagine the reaction then.

"Sucks, I paid 50 bucks for this crap and I finished it in 10 hours! Doesn't matter that I skipped just about everything in the game! They gave me that option, right?!"

So in the words of Gary Gygax, D&D CRPGs have so very little to do with true D&D that he doesn't even consider them a part of the D&D experience. Draw your own conclusions as to what that means...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.