1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo barb questions

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by sarevok66, Dec 12, 2010.

1. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

[​IMG] hi :)

i've just started a new game with a solo barbarian and as i maxed out the prime requisites, that leaves him with only 10 in CON and WIS

1) and i was wondering which such low scores in these two fields, will he be able to detect secret doors ?

2) also will he be able to access the illithids' lair in the sewers (as i intend to get the hammer of thundebolts for crom faeyr) ?

3) moreover, are there chances i get stuck somewhere with these scores (i know i'll have to avoid mind flayers as much as i can) ?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I assume you meant 10 in INT and WIS, not CON and WIS, right?

I would have tanked WIS for INT for purposes of the Illithid lair, personally. No use for WIS on a barb.

I don't think WIS has anything to do with detecting secret doors at all.

3. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Potions of Invisibility will help you with this. They can't see invisible and have no way to dispel it.

4. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

yeah my mistake, i meant INT not CON

anyway thanks for the answers

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As dmc said, I'm assuming you meant INT and WIS?
    In which case 10 INT allows you one hit from a mind flayer before you die, 11 INT would allow you 2 hits. 16 INT would allow 3 hits, but I'm not sure this is ultimately worth it.

I don't think INT and WIS have much or even any effect on gameplay for a warrior class, but just in case, I would've dumped CHA instead. Sure it actually does have some uses in the game, but there's also a ring that will set your CHA at 18 which you can acquire very early on in the game, which you can use when required.

6. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

yeah i know about the ring, and i have dumped charisma to 3.....

well i'll go for the potion of intelligence or invisibility i guess

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm curious, do you have some kind of objection against rerolling your stats? Because by all accounts a total roll of 77 for your stats (assuming 18s for STR, DEX & CON) is a pretty poor roll and you should easily be able to do better.

8. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

well i always like my human fighters to have 18/00 in str, so i keep rerolling until i get that score, too bad if its a poor roll

i know about the items adding up to your strength, but its my fancy to do so :p

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Have you thought of making your barb half-orc? That speeds past the 18/00 problem right there.

10. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

yeah i am aware of that, but i dont like orcs.... even half human ones

anyway i'm already deep in the game, and although all is going smoothly, the fact he cannot wear heavy armor is going to be a major problem against some boss further on i fear.... on the other hand he doesnt get exhausted like the berserker after going into rage mode

oh yeah theres some weird bug i wanted to talk about: i fought samia and her gang and when i looted the dead bodies i realized the amulet my barb was wearing was on the ground, did this kind of thing happen to any of you ??

imagine the game drops your equipment worn without you knowing, this can screw up the entire game !

11. dmc

Media:
    If you were hit by a fear spell, I think it can auto-drop some of your stuff to simulate a panic reaction. Never understood why it would be anything but weapon/shield and maybe helmet, but whatever.

12. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

1. Since you're going solo I'd like to suggest making him a Berserk rather than a Barb. The immunities granted in the Berserk state will be a life saver.

2. While any barb or berserk worth their ax should have awesome strength, 18/00 is not necessary. Remember there are PLENTY of strength enhancing items in SOA.

13. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

...and potions!

14. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

he was in rage state, so he couldnt be hit by such a spell, but thanks for the info, its good to know

i already soloed the game with a berserker (a plain solo fighter imported from bg1), and it was fun, but not as fun as with the monk though, who becomes a real killing machine at high level :cool:

yeah i know, you may even gain strength points before the battle with irenicus, but since the rage state mode already gives him a str boost, i might let him stay with the girdle of inertial barrier

EDIT: is there another way to kill the Empathic Manifest (unseeing eye subquest), i cant use the scroll of cure serious wounds provided in the temple and i dont have cure light wounds in my bhaal abilities ??

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Rod of Ressurection? It casts heal from a distance.

16. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

oh right i didn't think of that, i'll try it when i come back to atkatla, thanks for the tip !

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  17. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You can try the rod of resurrection, if that doesn't work your only recourse is to recruit one of the clerics for just a few minutes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.