1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Song of Cheese

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

If you're not going to sing WCotS, don't even bother with a Bard. It's the only thing that makes them worthwhile.

2. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Come on, I wouldn't go as far as saying that! First of all, Bards seem to get more "exclusive" dialogues than other classes. Little things that end up giving more XP to your party (singing a song in a tavern, understanding that weird thing the sea elf is singing, and so on).

I don't use the other 2 HoW bard songs a lot, but the default one is preety useful @the start of the game, where that +1 to hit and everything else might make a difference.

They also work great as backup spellcasters. Usually My Mage would be a Diviner and then my Bard would learn every spell the Diviner was not allowed to. Of course she'd only go up to 6th level, but IWD parties need not to rely on arcane magic as heavily as a BG2 party needs, IMHO.

War chant of Sith rules. Might be the song of cheese, but from the 3rd edition things HoW implemments, it's not the cheesier. I'd give that award to the Sneak Attack feature (not that I don't use it... heh)

3. Klorox

Skald, I think you'd get a heckuva lot more out of a Mage/Thief than a Bard if the songs are crap. And that first song really is crap.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

This is pure, unadulterated :bs: . In the early levels, that first bard song helps a lot (I'm level 5 & 6 or so and the song still helps more than a M/T would). Some extra Magic Missiles don't matter much in comparison to your tanks and archers tearing through groups of 20 like wet tissue paper (and I have made the comparison between singing and spell-slinging in the exact same situation, so don't even go there). :p In the later levels, the bard's got more they're able to do (spells, instruments, etc.), and can lay off the singing a bit.

Another thing you're totally forgetting is the dialogue options that a bard opens up. Hell, even item options if what someone said in another thread is true. Plus, there's always being able to ignore the pickpocketing skill with your thief, though you might do that anyway if you don't mind reloading 50 times.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Comparing the bard with a mage/thief is crap.
    Standard parties with a bard already have a thief, who would take a second thief as replacement ?

A far more powerful character like fighter/illusionist is the more realistic choice for comparison.

At level1 he can already already have 2.5 attacks/round doing 5-10 missile damage each even with standard composite bow and arrows.

The bard song adds about 8-10 to the missile damage the other party members do per round, more than you'd exspect the shooting bard to cause, but the fighter/illusionist will probably do more.

The difference will even increase during the game.

I'd still take a bard, but that's because I like other things more than pure power.

[ June 22, 2006, 22:42: Message edited by: kmonster ]

6. Brettoni Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] But according to the description, the Sith song only works during combat, and not after, so you shouldn't be able to regenerate after combat??

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

The manuals of Black Isle games are full of errors.
    This didn't have a negative effect on their success however.

8. Brettoni Gems: 5/31

So for sake of role-play, to stick to the spirit, song of sith is NOT to be used outside of battles, however tempting the dark side may be... ;) perhaps this will un-cheese it somehow :cool:

9. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

in IWD2 it only worked in combat. to be honest i dont mind it that much, since it does save you from having to memorise every little healing spell etc, so you get to use alot of different tactics with your clerics and druids :) instead of just beeing your healbots. Now you can use them as party buffers, and melee powerhouses with self buffs. Just keep a couple of strong healing spells for emergency situations (heals and cure criticals etc).

In many ways i actually think it makes the game more fun. Inj fact i wouldnt have minded a Bard song that ONLY worked outside of combat that gave all minor regeneration for just that reason.

Or alternativelly, the cheesy song give combat bonuses in combat, and regeneration outside of combat only.

[ August 26, 2006, 14:53: Message edited by: raptor ]

10. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

@Brettoni:
    Using the song outside battle is not cheesier than using the "rest until healed" option.
    It just let's you avoid a few repeats of tiring automatisms.

I doubt that pointless, timeconsuming, encounterfree walks to a safe place to rest and back are really a part of your role-play spirit.

11. Klorox

Felinoid says:
    I guess we have different playing styles then. When I play, I fill up Thief skills so quickly, I never need to worry about picking pockets. I'm just trying to say that you're going to get a lot more mileage out of a M/T than a Bard. Over the whole game. And that includes level 1-level 40 (or however high you can go). The only thing that makes the Bard worthwhile is WCotS. What extra items are so great that a Bard can use? What extra dialogues actually help that much?

kmonster said:
    No team should have two Thieves. I'm trying to say that you can replace a Bard with a Thief/Mage and have a more versatile and more powerful character. If you already have a Thief, than just add a Fighter. It's the most powerful class in this game.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, I haven't gotten any bard items yet since IWD's on hold for me now, and I don't even remember what item it was that I was talking about nor am I completely sure how exactly the Bard helped you get it. (Thanks a million for bringing this up two months later. :rolleyes: ) If you want to search through posts from two months ago to see what item can only be gotten with a Bard in the party, go ahead. But I'm not in the mood to argue with someone who looks at a Bard and sees only one use (as overpowered as it may be).

13. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Bards are great. Especially in IWD. I never start a party without one. They reach the highest casting level, they level up fast, they can use items designed especially for them (Horn of Valhalla, Violin of the Hollow Man), their songs are great and they have bard specific quests. I seldom found various misconceptions about the bards, mostly because people got used to the bards from BG games (where frankly, bards were really bad).

14. Klorox

Jerk. If your argument is because the thread was bumped, blame whoever did it. I never noticed your response before then.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, that's enough of that.

16. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I think this sums up the entire matter of the war chant of sith being cheese. It just helps get you through the game without constantly resting. To me that is a good thing. :hippy:

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Agreed, resting all the time destroys any immersion that the game provides.

18. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Especially when you don't have a healer. Resting a few months adds a new sense to the idea of roleplaying.

19. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Perhaps if you take long enough, the danger to the Ten Towns will get bored and go away?

20. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Or die of old age.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.