1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SP Happenings #104 - 6 Years of Sorcerer's Place!

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    June 10, 1999. Just another day in history, though of some importance to Sorcerer's Place. It occurred to me some time ago that I don't even remember when exactly in '99 I started this whole show, so after some serious digging, I've come up with a date. It's probably not accurate to the day, but it's a nice round figure, and the best I could do, since I didn't pay much attention to keeping records at that point.

Last year at around this time I was so busy with the new design and RL matters that the 5th SP anniversary has simply slid by unnoticed, and I'm not really going to make a big deal out of the 6th either (I'll wait for the 7th for that!). The sheer fact that Sorcerer's Place has been around for 6 years, and is still actively being worked on, speaks volumes. In a bit less than a year since we've introduced the current SP design and reorganized pretty much the entire site from the ground up, dozens (hundreds?) of things have happened around the site. We've tried to improve everything that's already been good about SP before, introduced many new features, and are always thinking about what's coming next. There have really been far too many changes and improvements for me to go listing them all, so if anyone is curious (and has missed them), it's all mostly documented in previous SP Happenings.

The immediate changes I have planned for SP are a practical evolution of the current state. While I'm very happy with how this new design has worked out in all aspects, some quirks have popped up during nearly a year of its use, so with a little help from my friends, I hope to get those kinks worked out over the next few months. We'll also slightly adjust the current design to accommodate some new ideas I have, and to improve visibility of certain features.

As far as SP is concerned, I've got a lifetime's worth of ideas and content I'd like to present, so there's no fear of SP ever starting to stagnate, provided the SP team and I can keep working on it. Considering there's only so much a single person (that'd be me) can do, I'll also try to break down certain SP tasks into manageable chunks, and hopefully get some volunteers from the community (that'd be you), to help out. As always, stay tuned - there's always something going on at Sorcerer's Place.

Of course, since some form of celebration is in order, I've decided to extend all Sorcerer's Place Supporter Account subscriptions made in the next two weeks (ending June 24, 2005) for 6 months. In short, every account bought or extended over the next 14 days will get additional 6 months added to it completely free of charge. So, for example, if you go for the cheapest, $15 account (normally good for 3 months), it will be extended to 9 months.

If you've been holding back on getting an SPS account, or simply want to renew your existing account, this it the time to do it. Click your way to the sign-up page to take advantage of this limited-time offer!

As you probably know by now, the SPS accounts are my way of saying thank-you to those SP visitors who decide to support SP with a donation, which is always welcome. Regardless of the site traffic, bills connected with running SP keep coming in every month, and donations help greatly to keep SP out of the red. The last donation to SP has been made sometime in April, so I hope that this special offer manages to gather some more monetary support for SP. Thanks in advance to all of you who decide to help out!

Also, happy birthday, for this is as much a celebration of Sorcerer's Place as a website, as of Sorcerer's Place as a community. Thank you for being here!

ยป Previous SPH

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Man!

You turn around once and things have changed again :eek: So. 6 years! That calls for a :banana: :beer: :banana:

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Much coolness :D

:banana:

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] Happy Birthday SP! :beer:

5. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] What joy. What sheer unadulterated delight!

Happy Birthday, SP Collective. :beer:

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Happy Birthday SP! Looks like I came back from my SP break just in time lol :beer: :hippy: :beer: :hippy: :beer: :hippy: :beer:

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Tal, you're a legend. Well done on six years of madness. What is going to happen if you ever get tired of running this?

:thumb:

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Go Tal and SP, and all those who support and/or work on it. We/you/they all rule!!!!! :thumb:

9. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Grandiose... Man, SP is becoming a living piece of history. Six years and afloat.

Congratulations! :thumb:
    :borg:

10. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Let's hope he never does.

Happy B-day SP, and thanks for a great site, Tal.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Harbourboy, I'll pack it up, burn it on CDs and send it to Mars in a time capsule. :p

12. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Congrats, Tal! :beer:

13. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] Happy Birthday! Here's to another six years! :roll:

14. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yeah 6 years. Congrats, Tal and everyone else who has made this such a great place.- :beer:

15. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Wow, six years already! I remember when I was new here, the site seemed so great, and then I found these boards. Hard to believe its already been three years since then!

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Yea, I probably haven't emphasized this enough this time through, but I owe a lot to all the people involved with helping me run and improve SP, and the list here is pretty long. Chevalier, catbert, BTA, Beren, Bel, dmc, all our newer board mods and many other people involved with SP now and in the past... The community and the site simply wouldn't be the same without them. So thanks all around. :)

17. Veldrin

Veldrin We'll ride the spiral to the end Veteran

Here's to another six. :beer:

18. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Six years of hard work and dedication -- quite an achievement indeed. Here's to our leader who has made SP his No 1 priority, despite busy schedules and conflicting deadlines -- without which, our little home away from home here would have surely gone by the wayside.

Thanks! And Happy Birthday SP! :thumb:

19. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well since it's a special occation I can't resist the urge of spamming congradulations in both of the birthday threads. :p

Happy birthday SP! Only four more years to the big 10! :beer:

20. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Wow, That is BIG six years? SIX YEARS? That is amazing, I hope SP'll continue to at least another six year! Yeah! Huzzah! :beer:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.