1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SP Happenings #154 - 7 Years of Sorcerer's Place!

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A new job I've started last week has been keeping me very busy and away from home for most of the week, so the majority of my previously near-future plans for SP have a more long-term perspective at the moment. I'll try to squeeze in time for SP when I can, but as it is, I hardly have the time to keep up with things around here, and to post the regular (bi)weekly features. Since I have so little time available for SP at this point, I'll try not to make any timed promises, since they'd be nearly impossible for me to hold. Things that depend on me will simply get done when I have the time to do them.

Consequently, I'm moving the weekly feature schedule around a bit. I'll post SP Happenings every Saturday from now on, and the Weekly Wizards of the Coast News Round-up every Sunday.

As luck would have it, today also marks the 7 year anniversary of Sorcerer's Place. Yup... hard to believe, but SP has been around for that long. Most of you reading this now haven't been around long enough to feel waves of nostalgia washing over you, but some of us old-timers could reminisce for a while...

If I had more time on my hands I'd put together something overly grandiose to mark the occasion, but since I don't, I've decided to hold another SPS Accounts special, extending all Sorcerer's Place Supporter Account subscriptions made in the next two weeks (ending June 24, 2006) for 6 months. In short, every account bought or extended over the next 14 days will get additional 6 months added to it completely free of charge. So, for example, if you go for the cheapest, $15 account (normally good for 3 months), it will be extended to 9 months.

If you've been holding back on getting an SPS account, or simply want to renew your existing account, this it the time to do it. Click your way to the sign-up page to take advantage of this limited-time offer!

As you probably know by now, the SPS accounts are my way of saying thank-you to those SP visitors who decide to support SP with a donation, which is always welcome. Regardless of the site traffic, bills connected with running SP keep coming in every month, and donations help greatly to keep SP out of the red. Thanks in advance to all of you who decide to help out!

By the way, we've posted an interview with Jason Compton about The Broken Hourglass a few days ago, so check it out if you haven't yet.

» Previous SPH

2. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

is there a reason why you ... uploaded the page particularly on 10 june, 7 years back then? Was it one of those "i think i will do a BG site today" notion. What was your intention back then? Did you use "sorcerers.net" when you started? If yes, why not one of those geocities or angelfire free web hosting sites to begin with? Where did you get the money to run back then, when the site is not famous?

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So you had Sorcerer's Place up about a year before you added the message boards?

Kinda funny how this place has outlived some of the hosting sites you started on. You had to move hosts a few times over the years as I recall, and then finally settled on administering your own server and even hosting other sites.

Not bad. Here's to Sorcerer's Place! :beer:

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Hear hear! :beer: A toast to the host with the most.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Tal, with the millions you're raking in every week from SP, why do you need a new job?

(Just kidding, of course. I know it's only thousands. :p )

Edit: I suppose I should mention that I know this is one of Tal's "hot buttons". All SP proceeds goes to keeping SP up and running.
    Or so he tells us. :p

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Some of the people on thee Boards would have been in nappies when SP started. Hooray for SP!

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Just three and a half year for me, it seems. Plus some very occasional previous lurking. ;)

8. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

:beer: :beer: 2 beers for SP! May it live on for years to come :D

:beer: :beer: An an other 2 beers for Tal and everyone else in the past who has helped SP in every way possible!

Once I get my credit card via the mail I'll have a little something at last to pitch in with Tal ;)

EDIT: Oh wow, it's going to be one year for me soon, how time flies by.

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Congratulation to SP and Tal. May you have many more anniversaries.

This month is my 3rd anniversary with SP. Also Splunge's. :)

10. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Hehe cheers to SP!!! 7 years Tal ... Congratulations! Keep up the good work my man :D

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Most of the questions about the history of SP are answered in the SP FAQ at http://www.sorcerers.net/Info/FAQ/index.php - so I suggest also reading that for the basic information.

As for the specifics...

teekc, I set the June 10 date as the official birthday last year at the 6th anniversary, after digging through a lot of old SP files and backups. It is probably not accurate to the day, just my best estimate of when I started the whole show.

As for where the site was located initially; it was one of those free sites with 20MB of space. ;) Provided by my ISP (arnes.si) at the time - it's gone now. After I bought a domain and set the site up on it, the old site served as a redirect for a couple of years, until they shut it down.

As for the money; I didn't start asking for donations to help with the costs until 2002 or so... before that my hosting was either free, or paid by running advertising for the gaming network that hosted us at the moment.

BTA, yep... the message boards were a slightly delayed addition. And you're right on the moving hosts bit. There were quite a few of them over the years, before I started renting our own server. Most of the hosts were crappy and unresponsive. I can honestly say that the free hosting I offer to our own hosted sites now is light-years beyond any free hosting Sorcerer's Place ever had.

Splunge, as much as I'd like SP to be my full-time job, it doesn't bring in nearly enough money for anyone in the developed world to be able to live on it. But I'm happy as long as it at least pays for the running costs through advertising and donations.

Eldular, this is just a by-the-way remark, but you can send in donations via snail mail or bank account deposit too. All the details are also on the pages I linked in my original post. I know people often assume that it's mandatory to have a credit/debit card to donate, but this is not the case here. Anyone who wants to support the site can easily do it even without a credit/debit card.

12. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Oh, I'll have to look into that then, I'm not that good with whole bank thing.

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Wow 7 years already, here's one :beer: to Sorcerers Place!! And here's another one for my 4th year here :beer: Happy Birthday!

14. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Here's to 7 years of SP...

To those behind the hedges :borg: whose hard work :coffee2: makes this site possible...

To all the gamers, newbies :help: and veterans :geezer: alike...
    And to the elevated :bs: discourse that :deadhorse: makes this site so :nuts: special.

Congrats!

15. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    WOw! 7 years! It's cool to see! I've enjoyed all my time here! We've had a lot of fun: from christening the Friendly Arm Inn, to chatroom DnD with Baldak & co. To tramping through the Realms in ALFA.

SP has been the catalyst for all of it. Great times, and hopefully, many more. I don't get to spend as much time here as I would like or did in the earlier days...But I love dropping by from time to time.

Cheers to everyone that's made SP what it is today - and thanks to Tal for thinking it up!!!

16. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Alas, all the time I missed out on. If only I had known, my life could hav ebeen fuller.

17. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Even though I practically only lurk these days... SP is still a great place to hang out. Kudos to all & all the support cast past and present for running this affair so long. :beer: !
    :borg:

18. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

This is my fifth year as an active member, and sixth year if you count my year of lurking and not knowing there was a forum until about after six months. Good times!

19. Errol Gems: 23/31

Gosh, 7 years! I suddenly feel very old :/

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yay! 7 years it truly an achievement for any website, let alone an online community! :thumb:

I've been around since April of '02, and at no point did I ever question SP's or the BoM's longevity...but I can't help but wonder when or *if* SP will bite the dust. If Tal decides to quit the site, what will happen? :mommy: I hope the day never comes. :bad:

The internet would be very boring without SP and the BoM. Thanks Tal!!! :thumb: :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.