1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SP Happenings #194 - 10 Years of Sorcerer's Place!

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Taluntain, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If there's anything that's bound to make you feel old, it's round anniversaries. How does 10 years sound? Oh, it'll do...

As far as online communities go, we're officially old now, but old in a good sense. Few gaming communities manage to survive for 10 years and actually still show any signs of life and yet we're doing just fine, thank you. There's no denying it, things have slowed down considerably in the last few years, but much to my delight, people are still finding Sorcerer's Place useful, content contributions are still coming in and we're still working on various new projects and additions for the site internally; all in all, the cogs are still turning.

During the ten years of running SP, a great number of things have happened; some of them bad, but mostly good. We've gone through a second "Gold Box" era with the Infinity Engine games, which have provided us with plenty of fond memories to treasure for a lifetime. The current D&D games situation is far from rosy, but I expect a second resurgence cycle will come around eventually - and we'll be there to embrace it with open arms.

But I forget myself - the majority of you reading this probably haven't been around to see the humble beginnings of Sorcerer's Place, so our 10th anniversary is a good occasion for a bit of reminiscing...

In the beginning, Sorcerer's Place was basically my little personal website with a few sections for things I liked, like books and games... and the original Baldur's Gate was the one I happened to enjoy the most at the time. I was also one of the operators in the #baldursgate IRC channel on EFnet at the time. The channel had a large (transitory) population at the time and we tended to answer the same questions over and over again, and point people in ten different directions for all their walkthrough, guide, message board, editor, hack, mod etc. needs.

Obviously, it would have been much more practical if there was a single website we could link to that referenced all of that, right? Well, I thought so too... soon enough, sorcerers.net was born, starting with the coverage of the original Baldur's Gate and adding new AD&D games as they were being released from 1999 onwards. About a year after the site was born, I installed our first message boards software, and the community started to grow and evolve from there. Eventually we started posting news about the games we covered, moved away from EFnet to GameSurge for our IRC needs, went independent (we still are!), began hosting other websites (starting with WeiDU.org)... but obviously it's impossible to even begin to cover everything that's happened around here in 10 years in a single post that wouldn't be a mile long, so check out past site news archives and SP Happenings for more detailed historical accounts.

Many of our staff members have come and gone through the years, but all of them have given a bit of themselves to the improvement of Sorcerer's Place, so I'm thankful for having worked with all of them.

It's at times like these that I'm especially grateful to have a number of people on the SP staff who have been an active part of Sorcerer's Place and Boards o' Magick for years now, as well as happy that quite a few message board members who still post today (even if only occasionally) first registered nearly a decade ago. Online loyalties and interests are probably more fickle than anything else in this world with most people, so I have a great deal of respect for those of you who believe that Sorcerer's Place and Boards o' Magick are worth regular visits for years on end. All of you definitely motivate me to keep on working on SP a great deal, so here's to another 10 good years!

* * *​

Of course, no mid-2009 news post would be complete without a dose of lamenting about the financial crisis... truth be told, it's hit us more severely than anything else in the decade of SP's existence. Only about $250 has come in from donations to date this year, which, given the fact that our running expenses for SP and our hosted sites amount to more than that every month, is obviously a big problem. Couple this with the fact that our banner advertising revenue has gone down due to the decline in site traffic as well as the lowering of rates by the advertisers and we're in a right pickle.

This has resulted in my having to strike more advertising compromises lately than I would have liked and I expect I'll have to make many more in the future as well, but I'll do what I have to do to keep us afloat, you can be certain of that.

As a token of my gratitude to the current site supporters (SPS Account Holders) who have helped me keep SP and our small network of hosted sites out of the red so far, I have extended the subscription period on all accounts by 3 months to celebrate SP's tenth anniversary. Christmas comes early this year! :D

Additionally, anyone signing up for a new SPS Account (or an extension!) via a donation over the next 2 weeks (up to and including the 24th of June) will receive a free 2-month extension added to their account. If you've been waiting for a good time to show your support and appreciation for SP (again), this is your best chance! You can make your donation on this page. Thank you also to those of you supporting SP via other means - every bit of help is treasured.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Oh, this brings back memories. I remember coming on here, when I was young and BG2 so far away, and checking out information pertaining it. Strongholds got me - I thought they were amazingly cool concepts and there was apparently going to be a big magely castle and whatnot. Oh, good times.

Mind you, most of what they said they'd put in isn't actually there. But still, SP brings fond memories. So thanks, Tal, for maintaining this site for so long, and for not banning me when I was naughty. :p

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  4. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Wow, it's so strange to think that I fell upon this site eight years ago. It (especially the chatroom) was like a second home for me for all of high school and I love coming back and seeing it still going strong. Great job, Tal, and thanks for putting so much of yourself into this site and making it a wonderful place to come back to even after months or years of absence.

5. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks for the kind words, it's good to see you around again!

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I remember when the default user avatars changed from monster sprites to gems. Along with the ensued flaming that followed :lol: I was thirteen when I signed up here, the community has been a joy to grow up in.

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I remember Extremist. :p
    Then there were guys like Earl Grey, Faraaz...
    I first stumbled into sorcerers.net when walkthroughonline.com was still alive, I was a mod there and I was gathering info for BG2. I was barely in high school (and a tad childish... I suspect it was only sheer luck that kept me from becoming idiot of the week :p)
    So many things have happened since then (dumb luck landed me in the US recently, still adjusting :D ). But I credit SP for having helped taught me the value of the opinions and thoughts of other people. Although I mostly just read what other people post (unless it's game related), like 8people I also think this community has been a joy to grow up with.

8. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Man, ten years. Strange to see how many people are still around. Even stranger to think that I've been a member for nine of those ten years. I guess old habits die hard. Happy anniversary everyone, even though I'm a tad late.

9. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I've been a member since 2001 when I started playing the first Baldur's Gate, and found this to be the best forum on the net for that game. I've kept returning to it with every new game I played; every BG/IWD and NWN game has brought me here. I disappeared for a few years because I completely lost myself in Oblivion and Morrowind (and didn't know that SP had a forum for those too), but now I'm back here again with a fresh copy of Dragon Age in my hands. Can't wait to start enjoying the forums here again!

Thanks, Tal, for making this place so attractive and high quality both in contents and moderation, that I can keep coming back to it year after year, and it's still the same high standard! :) :)

10. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks for the kudos, I appreciate it!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.