1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spirit Bar and Time Urgency

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Blackthorne TA, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just finished the Sunken City, and it really hasn't been difficult to maintain the Spirit Bar with my play style; it's just something I have to keep in mind. There are plenty of "spirits" to devour, and you just have to make sure (if you don't want to increase your craving, which I don't) that you use your one-time-per-day as a killing blow on a creature with a large amount of hitpoints.

The only minor issue I've had is knowing when the "next day" actually is. Sometimes travelling resets the accounting of number of Devour Spirit uses and sometimes it doesn't, and it didn't seem to coincide with getting spells back either. So sometimes I'm surprised to find my craving went up when I wasn't expecting it, so I just reload and rest before Devouring that spirit again :)

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I find spirit eating as evil is definitely playable, even pretty fun.

*spoilers*

The challenge is that you're committing yourself to going through the game with a maxed out craving.

During the first part, just leave the Wraiths and Shadows of the Void in their urns as and until you need to recharge.

Once you've worked your way through the Death God's Vault, the fun begins when you're told to go to the Wells of Lurue. The trick is to get the Uthraki some food in order to acquire the Devour Soul ability. Now you have definite flexibilty. (e.g. Hags, Hagspawn, humans, etc.)

Then devour the Wood Man to acquire Spirit Gorge. In tandem with Devour Soul, you can recharge your spirit energy super fast.

The one annoyance here is that you have to be judicious about how often you sleep. The trick is to max out your energy, then sleep, and in a place where 'food' won't be far away. Quite the challenge indeed.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just finished, and playing "good" wasn't bad at all. Mainly, you just have to plan for it. What I did in general was plan my sleep when I knew there would be something to use Devour Spirit or Eternal Rest on. And the place is literally crawling with elementals and telthors everywhere.

I think for me what was important was to get everyone in the party some item with Regeneration on it, so there was never a need to sleep to regain hitpoints, and since during dialogs, the Spirit Bar is paused, but time is still passing (i.e. you're still regenerating) conversations were great healers :)

4. Azusa Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

(May contain spoilers! )

The Spirit Energy Bar annoyed me so much for a while. The first time I got it, I thought it won't have a huge impact on my character so I rest easy like what I've been doing in NWN and NWN2 OC. And my spirit energy dropped drastically! So I've been trying to devour spirits as much as I could just to bring that up again. But still no good. Resting now should be cautiously done as well as using spells, items etc. which requires resting to regain the availability.

I also had a problem with my companions, they are overcasting spells and using items like there is no tomorrow while our enemy is just a weak creep. And we just wasted our resources which is not a huge problem when the Spirit Energy Bar was still not applicable.

I've tried using Devour Spirit first since it is the most handy, but the craving just increases, then I use Suppress. Quite good, lessen the craving but gives less amount of energy. I've been playing an Eldritch Knight Neutral so being good or bad won't do any harm on me. I happen to use Satiate too! The exp loss is just... disappointing. But it saves the day.

After meeting the Woodman I happen to learn some new techs since it seems to remove the craving. I just realized that there are spirits placed all over. Because at first I thought I can only get energy resources from the Shadow Mulsantir area most likely at the Death God's Vault. So when my bar go 80 or lower I just use Suppress then it seem that it would increase up to more than 90. Devour Spirit is also very effective during fights, plus it a full bar up to 100 base on my experience with 75 - 80 spirit energy. There are just perfect times when I had 70 - 80 spirit energy and met some spirits on the way. I just use Devour Spirit. Also I use Devour Spirit and Suppress alternately, meaning not all Devour not all Suppress. Depends really on the scenario.

Also I learned to choose more effective spells, feat and items. Like what Mr. Blackthorne stated, Regenaration is important so the party would heal continuously even with small points. It's better than nothing. And for my Eldritch Knight, Extend Spell feat appears to be very helpful too.

And now, I also learned to scout (my version is when I arrived to a new place, I save my game and then do some strolling around the place just to see its content ;)) the place first so I could strategically plan when to rest, when to use spells and in the appropriate time and where I could find spirits. Yes, it does quite add the time and might loose the real time feeling of playing the game, but I prefer that since it is very effective for me.

Overall, the Spirit Energy Bar feature in the game is very good for me. With this, the game become more real and challenging. I could feel the pressure much better! Yes at first, it is very annoying but afterwards when it appears to be enjoyable. Just learn to cope with it. :)

5. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    As I mentioned above I didn't like Suppress; it really didn't give much energy back. So once my craving was at zero, I never used it again.

Since you can use Devour Spirit once a day without increasing the craving, that's what I would do. Once my Spirit Energy was below 80 (or I just needed to rest for the party to regain spells etc.), I'd find a place to rest where I knew there would be something to Devour and I'd use my one use for the day right after resting, and I'd almost always get it back up to 100. Most of the time I'd find an elemental to Devour because they typically have a lot of hitpoints.

Eternal Rest was best because it never increases craving; there just aren't that many undead outside of Shadow Mulsantir and the Dead God's Vault.

6. Azusa Gems: 1/31

Haven't tried Eternal Rest yet. I still cannot fully understand its purpose. :) And Suppress, well it's not that good if you really want to have a full bar. Devour Spirit is much better. But for me I can handle my character even with it don't get a full spirit energy bar most of the time. I'm just playing with Devour Spirit and Suppress, depending on the situation.

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Eternal Rest is your friend! :) Basically, the result of using it is identical to Devour Spirit, only you can use it as often as you want and your craving will not increase. IIRC your alignment also shifts toward Good.

However Devour Spirit works only on spirits which includes incorporeal undead (wraiths etc.), elementals, and fey (telthors etc.) while Eternal Rest only works on undead.

So the good thing about Eternal Rest is you can use it 10 times a day and never increase your craving. Devour Spirit you can only use once a day without increasing your craving. Suppress is worst of all because you can only use it once per day, it prevents you from using Eternal Rest or Devour Spirit for the rest of that day, and it doesn't give you much spirit energy. The only good thing about Suppress is that it reduces your craving a little.

8. Azusa Gems: 1/31

I see... Thanks for the in-depth explanation. That was very good!

So Eternal Rest would prove very effective in the Death God's Vault and maybe other places where there are plenty of undeads. Can it target Death Knights and Vampires? I'm still not sure about them.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Vampires for sure; I can't remember if I tried it on the Death Knights, but I'm pretty sure they are undead.

10. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

eternal rest works on death knights and vampires

11. Azusa Gems: 1/31

Ah, I see. Thanks! So basically Eternal Rest works on undeads, all types.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I know I can fix it with a mod but having suppress give me lawful points is kind of annoying. My chaotic good fighter is rapidly approaching lawful good solely due to using suppress.

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Don't use Suppress. Use your one use of the day on Devour Spirit as a killing blow, or use multiple Eternal Rests per day (also as a killing blow) if you can find that many undead.

14. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

the patch 1.11 will remove alignment hits for using spirit eater abilities

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.