1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spoil me, please! (re: newbie gamer time)

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by kuemper, Jan 10, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Yes, I have PS: T and will start playing later today after I get up from going to sleep.

I would like great RP (supposedly this game is *the* one for that), so how would I arrange my stats to get that? High charisma? :confused:

Mind you, I read the manual and sort of understand how things work. Obviously, there will be more questions once I begin play. ;)

[ January 11, 2006, 21:11: Message edited by: kuemper ]

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    High Wisdom and Charisma is essential in PS:T! Also an Int around 13-14 is also recommended...

Good for you Kuemp! PS:T is definitely worth your while (and it's about time too).

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Ditto everything oli said :p have fun :)

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

How do I affect my reputation? Is it only through dialogue with NPCs? I plan on looking everywhere and being a total packrat. How will my snooping and stealing be dealt with by the game? Will I need to save constantly, incase I PO someone by looking through their stuff?

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Reputation plays a very little role in this game.

You risk p***ing off people if you try to steal from them, so regular saving is recommended if you plan to go on a pickpocketing spree.

6. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

There isn't a "reputation counter" per se, there's rather an alignment counter for good/evil, lawful/chaotic. It's mostly dialogue that affects these.

It's recommended to save a lot when pickpocketing. If you end up killing a lot of people it might upset the Lady of Pain.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Alignment is what I meant. :doh:

I played for an hour, talked to some people and got the quest for finding embalming fluid, needle and thread. WTF are the needle and thread? I've been (I think) everywhere (no other doors are openable to me) and haven't found the stuff.

[ January 10, 2006, 17:25: Message edited by: kuemper ]

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    You can get needle and thread from one of the zombies near Ei-Vene (you may need a high Int. stat; I don't remember) or from a shelf upstairs by taking the up staircase to the right of the map.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Your actions and dialogue choices dictate your alignment.

The stats you choose depend on the type of character you wish to play. One thing to note -- the 7th level fighter strength bonus will take Nameless from 18 to 19 (bypassing the five points you would otherwise need going through the exceptional strength percentages). You get to put one ability point in at each level (but not the dual classed levels).

I would recomend:

Str: 12 -- Get it to 18 before 7th level.
    Dex: 12
    Con: 9 -- you can't die, who cares about hit points.
    Int: 15 -- you want to get this to 19 to fully power up Dak'kon.
    Wis: 15 -- you'll want to put 3 or 4 more points in here to max it by the end of the game (if you get all the Wis bonuses). The more you put in here early on, the faster you'll level.
    Cha: 12 -- you can put your Dex points here if you wish, try to have this to 16 or so before you see Ravel.

You can use tattoos to give a slight boost to stats for specific events (such as the Dak'kon power-up).

Dan Simpson's walkthrough has a good bit about stats (you don't need to look at the actual walkthrough part, just character generation).

10. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm just starting too ;)
    I already started about 4 times before even leaving the place you are.
    If you don't have enough strength you can't force locked things (isn't much tho), if you don't have enough dexterity (I guess) you can't break the neck of those guys upstairs...
    And in the third attempt, I just found out that the corpses had numbers and you can give/take things out of them...
    As I just started the Hive and I think I already screwed some things... darng, is a very good game...
    @kuemper: just 'talk' to the corps and in some of them you'll have more options that just 'leave'.

11. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

for your first run through, sydax and keumper, I think the only things to keep in mind are: 1) talk to lots of people; 2) no, none, zero, nada spoilers or walkthroughs; and 3) enjoy!

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31

T2Bruno's - er, TNO stats: ;)

Str 9
    Dex 9
    Con 9
    Int 14
    Wis 18
    Cha 16

I peeked into a walkthrough and the way it was worded concerning high Int, Wis and Cha was squirrelly! I read TNO was to get 'special' dialogues with certain stats being high when ingame, it was just the regular dialogue. It's confusing if nothing else. :nuts:

13. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

In many cases you can't actually tell which dialogs involve an ability check, they just show up if the appropriate stats are high enough.

Here's my (long-winded) stat pick for a dialog-based character, even if it is a bit too late;

STR 9 - you'll need to be able to fight later on, but for the time being Morte is basically a floating brick. He has massive physical resistances and low AC, and you can just spam his Litany of Curses to keep enemies off the Nameless One. There are a few instances of STR checks when you're attempting to threaten or intimidate someone. You can raise STR magically.

DEX 13 - Chokie Roberts. Heh. Not really necessary, there aren't very many dialogs that require DEX, but aside from grabbing/strangling people, there isn't any armour in the game, so getting it to 18 can be good for the AC.

CON 9 - no conversations require CON. It's good because the Nameless One's regeneration rate becomes obscene at very high levels, but between Morte's taunting and the tonnes of healing charms and stuff you'll amass, it's no big deal. RP-wise a low-CON Nameless One seems kind of wrong.

INT 14 - second most important stat for dialogs. There's actually not too many less INT checks than there are WIS checks, but it's slightly more expendable than WIS because that you can temporarily increase it with a particular type of charm. Raise it to 18, WIS will cover you for anything beyond that.

WIS 17 - without doubt the most important stat for dialogs, WIS checks can be substituted for about half the game's INT checks. Raise it to about 19. You'll want 24 eventually, but with tattoos and event-based stat increases that'll be no problem at all. (You can permanently raise your WIS by something like +7 through dialog-based stat increases alone!)

CHR 13 - nowhere near as many CHR checks as there are INT and WIS checks, but it's the third most important stat for dialogs and there are a few occasions when you will want it. However, you can raise it magically with Friends by up to 8 points. You probably won't ever need more than 21. But I'd raise it a bit so you don't have to be constantly casting spells before conversations.

Anyway, have fun. Do keep away from walkthroughs, you definitely don't want to spoil this game for yourself.

14. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Might just be me, but i like to have alround characters that can handle various situations. So i prefer to keep some combat oriented stats decent as well (str,dex or con).

But all in all, i think the magical hint for PST is: "Try it yourself, dont read walkthoughs, and make your own nameless one." It is simple what makes the game so fun.

15. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Prine> You need 19 INT to unlock a particular thing and talk to a particular someone about it.

16. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Also remember to talk to your comrades now and then. Not only will they have something to say about various subjects, but furthermore you may end up getting pleasently surprised by the outcome of a dialogue.

17. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Slow - you only need 18 INT to unlock the thing. You do need 19 WIS to talk to the guy about the thing. ;)

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Well, I first have to escape the Mortuary, of which I'm still trapped inside. I hope those 3 zombies I killed didn't have what I needed. :(

19. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It took me a while to get out the first time. I had to restart the game a couple of times -- I kept pissing off the dustmen, everyone/everything would go hostile.

Just talk to everyone (including zombies) who will talk to you, look at everyone (including zombies). If something didn't turn out the way you wanted, just reload and replay it with different dialog options. Pick up everything.

By the way, the stats look fine. You should get a lot of dialog options.

20. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think the important thing to remember in Planescape is that it is different. Sure there is fighting but in Planescape there is a lot of dialogue. Remember that TNO can not die at least permanently so don't feel you have to reload or start over if he does 'die'. Very, very different game from other crpg's I've played. A good part of it's charm.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.